Official NYU Early Decision Waiting Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mst

Re: Official NYU Early Decision Waiting Thread

Postby mst » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:20 am

Submitted last week and still processing. Nervoussssss. Anybody have that buyers remorse feeling yet with the ED thing yet? I've been a bit back and forth. Still gung-ho and all, just nerve wracking. I visited NYU law earlier this semester and loved it, especially in comparison to my Columbia visit.
Last edited by mst on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:16 am

mst wrote:Submitted last week and still processing. Nervoussssss. Anybody have that buyers remorse feeling yet with the ED thing yet? I've been a bit back and forth. Still gung-ho and all, just nerve wracking. 172/3.6 here btw. I visited NYU law earlier this semester and loved it, especially in comparison to my Columbia visit.

On one hand, I am scared of that big sticker price. On the other hand, NYU's LRAP is so excellent, and I am so positive that I want to do public interest, that I know it will be okay. Good luck!

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:55 am

mst wrote:Submitted last week and still processing. Nervoussssss. Anybody have that buyers remorse feeling yet with the ED thing yet? I've been a bit back and forth. Still gung-ho and all, just nerve wracking. 172/3.6 here btw. I visited NYU law earlier this semester and loved it, especially in comparison to my Columbia visit.

11/1 here, still processing.

Immediately after sending the ED contract I felt a little buyers' remorse. "What if my cycle would be awesome and I could get into Chicago and Columbia RD but get saddled with NYU debt ED?" etc. But I think everyone kind of feels that way when they take a big risk.

Great to hear all the good things, NYU people. Hope to see you soon.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:34 am

al2546 wrote:i just went under review today! 172/3.8..im so nervous!! i dont think i can wait any longer
This was last cycle, so things may be a tad different, but these were my numbers exactly and I had a big purple envelope three weeks after submitting my app.

Hoping for the best for all of you! (as I put off my crim reading to cruise TLS)

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:47 pm

Sent my application (ED) 11/11. For those of you who were on the ball and got it in earlier, how long did it take for you to receive any communication from NYU?

Good luck to everyone!!

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:51 pm

NYC_7911 wrote:Sent my application (ED) 11/11. For those of you who were on the ball and got it in earlier, how long did it take for you to receive any communication from NYU?

Good luck to everyone!!

Sent my application 11/1, got my first communication 11/8 (status checker).

And I'm now UR. EFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:54 pm

Hannibal wrote:
NYC_7911 wrote:Sent my application (ED) 11/11. For those of you who were on the ball and got it in earlier, how long did it take for you to receive any communication from NYU?

Good luck to everyone!!

Sent my application 11/1, got my first communication 11/8 (status checker).

And I'm now UR. EFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Great, thanks! Hope you hear good news in Dec!

Does anyone have a sense of how the 1st round/2nd round ED goes? I'm sure it's a combination of when you sent your app in + the strength of your app, but does anyone have a sense of whether, in order to be in the 1st round, you would have needed to send it in on the earlier side?

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Thought I'd share --

I went complete last week, and called a couple times to make sure my ED contract got there ok. By last Friday, they said they still didn't have my ED contract, so I faxed another one over the weekend. I called again this morning, and they said they were "still processing" all the ED paperwork, so they didn't know if a lot of the ED contracts were in. The rep I spoke to said they were going to straighten everything out by Wednesday, and then get in touch with people whose contracts were "unavailable" so they could email/fax another one "without penalty". Sounds like they're slammed with applications.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:02 pm

I applied ED a couple of weeks ago as well. I'm under review at the moment.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:18 pm

I was an ED applicant who submitted 2 weeks ago, went under review today.

Hooray! First one!

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Yay, got status checker email. Baby steps. Commence obsessive page refreshing!

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Will someone PM me about why they love NYU so much?

mst

Postby mst » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:39 pm

It was more of a logical decision for me, liking it came second. I saw this: ED to NYU -> best chance to attend a great school, get a great job, make a great salary; although Chicago was kind of tied on those fronts and also offered the possible chance at academia/clerkship... when it came down to choosing, I basically realized I NYU is just a better fit (less "academic", not a trimester system) for me, which meant I had a better chance to succeed there. Logical decision.

AFTER I decided what the logical option was, I visited and liked it, confirming that I could stand NY for multiple years. The students were more chill (though still VERY hardworking), the area was more inspiring (I loved Washington Square being right there and the village surrounding the school), and the facilities just meshed well with me. I don't know why but I LOVED the library being under the street yet having a glass roof... just something cool I guess to a suburban guy like me.

I definitely wasn't going to ED to Mich or UVA or any other school, and I already took Chicago off the table. CLS was the only other option. I loved NYU enough and hated CLS enough (the building was atrocious in my opinion and the staff I interacted with were just the rudest, least helpful people I've met through the whole visitation process) to give up any "maybe I should try for the CLS prestige" feelings I had left.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 pm

mst wrote:It was more of a logical decision for me, liking it came second. I saw this: ED to NYU -> best chance to attend a great school, get a great job, make a great salary; although Chicago was kind of tied on those fronts and also offered the possible chance at academia/clerkship... when it came down to choosing, I basically realized I NYU is just a better fit (less "academic", not a trimester system) for me, which meant I had a better chance to succeed there. Logical decision.

AFTER I decided what the logical option was, I visited and liked it, confirming that I could stand NY for multiple years. The students were more chill (though still VERY hardworking), the area was more inspiring (I loved Washington Square being right there and the village surrounding the school), and the facilities just meshed well with me. I don't know why but I LOVED the library being under the street yet having a glass roof... just something cool I guess to a suburban guy like me.

I definitely wasn't going to ED to Mich or UVA or any other school, and I already took Chicago off the table. CLS was the only other option. I loved NYU enough and hated CLS enough (the building was atrocious in my opinion and the staff I interacted with were just the rudest, least helpful people I've met through the whole visitation process) to give up any "maybe I should try for the CLS prestige" feelings I had left.

I'm glad you decided to ED numbers twin. It makes me feel better about my decision.

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:30 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Will someone PM me about why they love NYU so much?

Speaking of PMs thanks for sending one along my way for what was just a simple inquiry... :|

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Just dropping in to say being under review ED is 100x worse than waiting for your app to go to complete. Damn.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:35 pm

I didn't realize there were two sections of acceptances (or at least there were in the past), one in early December and one in late December. If you're not accepted in that first section in early December, the wait until the end of the month and the 2nd section is going to be particularly brutal. Though I guess not quite as bad as finding out you weren't accepted at all...

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:40 pm

gendefect wrote:I didn't realize there were two sections of acceptances (or at least there were in the past), one in early December and one in late December. If you're not accepted in that first section in early December, the wait until the end of the month and the 2nd section is going to be particularly brutal. Though I guess not quite as bad as finding out you weren't accepted at all...

No kidding. I'm wondering whether, even though my application was only sent in a few days before the 11/15 deadline, I may still be in the 1st round (given strength of application, obviously). I would LOVE to have this over with sooner rather than later...

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:42 pm

NYC_7911 wrote:
gendefect wrote:I didn't realize there were two sections of acceptances (or at least there were in the past), one in early December and one in late December. If you're not accepted in that first section in early December, the wait until the end of the month and the 2nd section is going to be particularly brutal. Though I guess not quite as bad as finding out you weren't accepted at all...

No kidding. I'm wondering whether, even though my application was only sent in a few days before the 11/15 deadline, I may still be in the 1st round (given strength of application, obviously). I would LOVE to have this over with sooner rather than later...

Ya, I wonder if anyone can speak to whether getting one's supposed acceptance happens in the first or second section is based on when you got your application in, or if it's based on the strength of your application.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:52 pm

This thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137012) has a link to application/response dates for NYU for applicants that applied in October and November last year. Judging from this, I would guess the 1st/2nd round distinction is based primarily on applicant strength. For example, there are applicants (I am assuming ED, but can't be certain) that applied mid-November and heard back the 1st week in December, and other applicants who applied far earlier and heard back at the end of December.

cruelestgame

Postby cruelestgame » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:52 am

is the second round in december after christmas?

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:44 am

cruelestgame wrote:is the second round in december after christmas?

From the thread noted in the post above, it looks like some come before Christmas and some come after. Just depends I guess.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:06 am

Anyone know if the NYU status checker says decision/mailed or anything like that when a decision is done?

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:16 am

Hannibal wrote:Anyone know if the NYU status checker says decision/mailed or anything like that when a decision is done?

This year's the first that NYU's handed out status checkers, so I don't think anyone will know yet :cry:

santacruz

Postby santacruz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:11 pm

just one more person - new to tls - who has applied ed to nyu and is joining this thread. perhaps we will see movement this week....

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”