Official NYU Early Decision Waiting Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cigrainger

Bronze

Official NYU Early Decision Waiting Thread

Post by cigrainger » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:37 pm

I submitted 9/21, still no word except an email reply when I scanned and submitted my ED form. You guys want to share numbers, reasons for applying ED at NYU, and if you get any word back?

I'm 171/Superior (no GPA because I went to undergrad abroad, LSAC evaluated the foreign transcript as 'superior'). I really want to be in NYC for personal and professional reasons, and NYU just seems like an awesome place. I'm really attracted by the clinical opportunities, particularly with the OAD and NYCLU. PILC ftw as well. I have no idea how my cycle is going to turn out because I went to undergrad abroad, so I figured I'd ED at my dream school.

Anybody else?

vicuna

Bronze

Re: Official NYU Early Decision Waiting Thread

Post by vicuna » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:57 pm

I applied on 9/25. Sort of a long shot, though ED applicants with around my numbers are around 50/50 on LSN. I'm interested in public interest law and love New York/the Village.

Mailed in my ED form around the same time I submitted my application on LSAC but have received no notification whatsoever. Should I be worried, considering you did get an email confirmation?
Last edited by vicuna on Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

facetious

Bronze

Post by facetious » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:05 am

a) don't be worried about not getting a confirmation. I was in your shoes last year and I didn't get a confirmation for close to a month. others didn't even get one at all.

b) good luck! i know how stressful it is. try not to obsessively check your mailbox, and don't feel let down if you aren't in that first wave of ED acceptances in early december. i wasn't accepted until the second round of EDs in late december.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:07 am

Best of Luck Ya'll. Hope to see you all next year. Shoot some of us 1L's PM's if you have some questions.

OR make a "NYU OL's ?'s" thread. :)

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:48 am

It just reinforces my decision that within 30 minutes of posting this thread, two current NYU students offer their help answering questions and wish us good luck. Totally awesome!

If you check back on this thread, can I just ask what your favorite part of NYU is so far? It should help to get us excited and even more impatient for December.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:19 am

Has nobody else submitted NYU ED yet?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:37 am

cigrainger wrote:It just reinforces my decision that within 30 minutes of posting this thread, two current NYU students offer their help answering questions and wish us good luck. Totally awesome!

If you check back on this thread, can I just ask what your favorite part of NYU is so far? It should help to get us excited and even more impatient for December.

Favorite part? Probably the profs here. I have one guy (who shall remain unnamed for fearing of outing myself) who makes me laugh approximately 9 times per hour. They are very open and very reachable.

facetious

Bronze

Post by facetious » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:49 am

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
cigrainger wrote:It just reinforces my decision that within 30 minutes of posting this thread, two current NYU students offer their help answering questions and wish us good luck. Totally awesome!

Favorite part? Probably the profs here. I have one guy (who shall remain unnamed for fearing of outing myself) who makes me laugh approximately 9 times per hour. They are very open and very reachable.
besides the professors, i have found the student body to be incredible. 2Ls and 3Ls are extremely open and supportive, as fellow 1Ls (save a few) are genuinely interesting people, who all want to work hard and do well but realize there is a bit more to life than law school. For anyone interested in public service, I don't know how it gets much better than NYU. There is a public interest mentoring program available to all 1Ls, which pairs you up with 2Ls and 3Ls with similar public interest career goals. Its a great way to meet 2Ls and 3Ls, get an idea of the opportunities available to you as a law student in one of the best cities in the world, and just talk to people who have been in your shoes.

Check out TheWire's thread - he's a 1L at NYU and is taking questions.

edit: though i am more than willing to answer questions as well, but i may be a bit slow getting back to you as i am pretty busy these next couple weeks.

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks for the info guys! I definitely feel like I've made the right decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Bump now that I figure a few more must have applied. Has anyone received any word yet? Any received or complete emails?

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:24 am

I applied over a week ago, but did not ED. I haven't even gotten an e-mail saying they got my app at all. I know they did only because LSAC says so. lol

I don't know if that helps, but you know. :)

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:20 pm

i applied ed here. on 9/14. 170 and 3.8 so fingers crossed. printed and mailed in the ed contract on 9/15 and nothing in terms of a response as of yet. good luck everyone

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:23 pm

Another NYU 1L here,

Let me say that the professors here are amazing and so inspirational. I know that sounds cheesy, but when you read the bios/personally interact with the professors here at NYU, you can't help but wonder how any other school has professors who can compete with ours. I also love NYU because, as one poster already mentioned, the student body here is amazing - both intellectually and socially. Most of us realize that there is more to life than studying 24/7 and we try our best to maintain some sort of social life, whether it be going to bars or just exploring the city. I know I made the right choice in coming here and couldn't imagine myself at any other school.

/passionate speech.

Back to CivPro.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:26 pm

thanks for all the info and gl with classes...if you have time, how are the relationships with the professors? is it easy to talk with them or is it more like they know a couple of students and everyone else is just a body

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:02 pm

cruelestgame wrote:thanks for all the info and gl with classes...if you have time, how are the relationships with the professors? is it easy to talk with them or is it more like they know a couple of students and everyone else is just a body
I think the hardest part about talking with the professors is getting past those few students who insist on attempted to a) dominate class discussions, and b) dominate office hours with discussions they think are important. Luckily, with regard to office hours, the professors will generally not entertain a discussion with someone who isn't allowing other students to participate. I don't like dealing with these students, so I've started scheduling personal office hours with profs.

All that being said, professors here are very personable. And (most) of them don't go out of their way to intimidate you or anything. But if you come to class and never take part in the discussion, don't expect for the professors to know who you are.

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 am

Stanford4Me wrote:Another NYU 1L here,

Let me say that the professors here are amazing and so inspirational. I know that sounds cheesy, but when you read the bios/personally interact with the professors here at NYU, you can't help but wonder how any other school has professors who can compete with ours. I also love NYU because, as one poster already mentioned, the student body here is amazing - both intellectually and socially. Most of us realize that there is more to life than studying 24/7 and we try our best to maintain some sort of social life, whether it be going to bars or just exploring the city. I know I made the right choice in coming here and couldn't imagine myself at any other school.

/passionate speech.

Back to CivPro.
Thank you. I'm dying for December to roll around now! Argh! Good luck with classes!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:45 pm

Yet another NYU 1L checking in to wish everybody the best. I didn't ED and so can't speak to that experience, but I can say that, so far, this place is amazing and I am confident that you'll love it. Good luck and feel free to ask me any specific questions (here, or in PM, or in a more appropriate thread -- just PM me the link so I don't miss it).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HopefulFish

Bronze

Post by HopefulFish » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Does anyone know if Stanford has such binding early admission?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:03 pm

HopefulFish wrote:Does anyone know if Stanford has such binding early admission?
They don't.

sarahdutta

New

Post by sarahdutta » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:15 pm

good luck 0Ls! i applied ED and was accepted late-December...if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:51 am

so if no email or anything was sent saying you're complete...should you call admissions or email them to make sure they got everything? or should you just not do anything

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:52 am

cruelestgame wrote:so if no email or anything was sent saying you're complete...should you call admissions or email them to make sure they got everything? or should you just not do anything
If you're neurotic, might as well do it to calm your nerves.

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:57 pm

k thanks i was just wondering...prolly won't do anything

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:18 pm

So I'm under review as of 10/20. Here's to hoping Dec 1 brings good news for all of us.

al2546

New

Post by al2546 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:12 am

i just went under review today! 172/3.8..im so nervous!! i dont think i can wait any longer

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”