Applying to NW with GMAT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
etlien

Bronze

Applying to NW with GMAT

Post by etlien » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:17 am

Is anyone applying to NW with a GMAT score rather than a LSAT score?

I have been looking at their website and can't seem to figure out what I need to do if I am applying with GMAT score. I assume you have to get GMAT people to send in an official report? Do you still send in a LSAC score report? If not, how do they get your transcript/GPA?

Any help is appreciated.

r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Applying to NW with GMAT

Post by r6_philly » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:39 am

Here is the instruction on NU's website:

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/admiss ... ctions.pdf

Also if you want to have a chance of getting in NU, especially with GMAT only, you should sign up for the interview program. You can ask these questions you have about the application process when you have the interview.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:43 am

I'd assume this will only go well if you have a good GPA. Otherwise you'd be hurting their numbers.

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:Here is the instruction on NU's website:

Also if you want to have a chance of getting in NU, especially with GMAT only, you should sign up for the interview program. You can ask these questions you have about the application process when you have the interview.
I saw that actually, but it doesn't mention anything about sending in an official GMAT score report. I googled 'Northwestern Law GMAT', which turned up http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... sions.html However, that is for the AJD programme, so not sure if the stuff about sending in a transcript directly is the same. I would prefer to send in a transcript directly rather than go through LSAC.

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'd assume this will only go well if you have a good GPA. Otherwise you'd be hurting their numbers.
I have a 3.74. Kinda just assumed those applying with GMAT would not be counted for LSAT numbers purposes, I might be wrong though. The thing with my LSAT numbers is that I've done it a couple of times and its varied between 160-171, which looks kinda crap compared to my GMAT score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:15 pm

etlien wrote:

I saw that actually, but it doesn't mention anything about sending in an official GMAT score report. I googled 'Northwestern Law GMAT', which turned up http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... sions.html However, that is for the AJD programme, so not sure if the stuff about sending in a transcript directly is the same. I would prefer to send in a transcript directly rather than go through LSAC.
The instruction I linked above is for regular JD application, not the AJD. It said you can send in an paper application without using LSAC's online service. If you don't have an LSAT score it probably won't let you submit anyway. Since the GMAT result has to be sent directly I don't see why you can't do that with transcripts.

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
etlien wrote:

The instruction I linked above is for regular JD application, not the AJD. It said you can send in an paper application without using LSAC's online service. If you don't have an LSAT score it probably won't let you submit anyway. Since the GMAT result has to be sent directly I don't see why you can't do that with transcripts.
Sorry, completely missed that. I would rather not send it through the mail as it will take a while to get there and it might lost in the mail. I am pretty sure you can submit without a LSAT score, it would be the same as you sending out the application now and signing up for the Dec sitting. I think I might just give the admissions office a call to clarify.

Thanks for you help.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:23 pm

etlien wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'd assume this will only go well if you have a good GPA. Otherwise you'd be hurting their numbers.
I have a 3.74. Kinda just assumed those applying with GMAT would not be counted for LSAT numbers purposes, I might be wrong though. The thing with my LSAT numbers is that I've done it a couple of times and its varied between 160-171, which looks kinda crap compared to my GMAT score.
I think a 3.74/171 with WE is in at northwestern regardless of multiple lsats (assuming a timely application). How many times did you take the lsat? Is your GMAT in the 98th percentile or higher?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:31 pm

etlien wrote:
3.74 is iffy. It's near median, but decidedly below it. I kind of doubt you'd get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:40 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
etlien wrote:
I think a 3.74/171 with WE is in at northwestern regardless of multiple lsats (assuming a timely application). How many times did you take the lsat? Is your GMAT in the 98th percentile or higher?
Did LSAT four times. Can't remember off the top of my head with GMAT percentile. I scored 750 so around 98th percentile? I don't really know how I feel about applying to NW, wasn't really going to apply until my friend pointed out I could use GMAT and they sent me a fee waiver. I graduated May '09 but didn't start working until April this year, finding a job was a bitch and half. Changed jobs in August but will still have under 2 years of WE by Sept 2011, which might be too little.

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
etlien wrote:
3.74 is iffy. It's near median, but decidedly below it. I kind of doubt you'd get in.
I kind assumed that even using my LSAT of 171, I'd be competitive since that is median/above median. Was looking to use GMAT score since I might be able to get a bit of $$ out of them with a decently high GMAT.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:51 pm

etlien wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
etlien wrote:
I kind assumed that even using my LSAT of 171, I'd be competitive since that is median/above median. Was looking to use GMAT score since I might be able to get a bit of $$ out of them with a decently high GMAT.
If you have a 171, you are in. I didn't see that in your OP, sorry.

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
etlien wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
etlien wrote:
Given a LSAT of 171 and a GMAT of 750, which one would you apply with, if you wanted to get as much $$ as possible out of NW?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:30 pm

etlien wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
etlien wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Given a LSAT of 171 and a GMAT of 750, which one would you apply with, if you wanted to get as much $$ as possible out of NW?
171. I don't think you can apply without giving an LSAT if you already took it. Also I don't think they take GMAT for regular JD.

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:42 pm

Northwestern offers the applicant the option of choosing whether to have an LSAT or a GMAT scored considered for admission. If one has both, they 'state' they will consider the one selected for admission. The accelerated JD has always had the GMAT has an option for consideration.

I was interviewed by the Associate Director of Admissions 2 weeks ago and she shared their reasoning for offering the option.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote: 171. I don't think you can apply without giving an LSAT if you already took it. Also I don't think they take GMAT for regular JD.
I think they are accepting gmat for regular JD now (someone correct me if i'm wrong), but since this is the first year there is no data to show you how you'll fare for admission/scholarship $$ if you apply with the gmat. I think that most people will still apply with lsat, and it will be easier to compare you to them for admission/scholarship purposes with the lsat. So i say go with the 171.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:44 pm

also, Desert Fox is always right.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:51 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: 171. I don't think you can apply without giving an LSAT if you already took it. Also I don't think they take GMAT for regular JD.
I think they are accepting gmat for regular JD now (someone correct me if i'm wrong), but since this is the first year there is no data to show you how you'll fare for admission/scholarship $$ if you apply with the gmat. I think that most people will still apply with lsat, and it will be easier to compare you to them for admission/scholarship purposes with the lsat. So i say go with the 171.
I'd be surprised if LSAC doesn't require them to report the LSAT even if they don't "use it". In which case it really does matter even if they claim it does.

If LSAC doesn't require them to report the LSAT for that person (if they took it), then it's a whole other ball game.

However, NU's admissions are not holistic. I wouldn't count on getting in unless you have one metric over median. A 3.9 with a decent GMAT and a terrible LSAT might get in, but a 3.5 with a great GMAT and no LSAT just isn't getting in.

In this case a 171 is a very good LSAT score. It beats well over half of NU students, and combined with a good GPA, it's a good shot.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:21 pm

3.74/171 will get some money. The GMAT likely won't get you any money though. 3.74 is just below the GPA median, and the GMAT isn't reported, so they have no incentive to take you over someone who is reporting an LSAT score.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:54 pm

How does NU determine scholarship money? Formula based or arbitrary?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:How does NU determine scholarship money? Formula based or arbitrary?
Seems like a combination of both.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”