How long should an addendum be? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ginj

Silver

How long should an addendum be?

Post by Ginj » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:33 am

Pretty self-explanatory.

merichard87

Silver

Re: How long should an addendum be?

Post by merichard87 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:37 am

5 sentences max.

JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Post by JurisDoctorate » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:04 am

Really? I thought they could be a page each. I haven't had time to explore the application on the LSAC; I guess I thought you would just attach documents as addendums. Is it a blank text field with room for 5 sentences or so?
Last edited by JurisDoctorate on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:06 am

My addendums are 3 and 4 sentences apiece.

Lonagan

Bronze

Post by Lonagan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Be concise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:54 pm

A paragraph. No more.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:04 pm

It ultimately depends on the severity of the incident. Unless it's something more serious, in which background details and further explanation might be helpful (so as to appear like you're fully disclosing), brevity is your friend. They don't expect a full-page apology because you were caught speeding or received an underage as a freshman. But a series of transgressions or a felony charge/conviction probably merits more than a few sentences.

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:08 pm

forward21 wrote:It ultimately depends on the severity of the incident. Unless it's something more serious, in which background details and further explanation might be helpful (so as to appear like you're fully disclosing), brevity is your friend. They don't expect a full-page apology because you were caught speeding or received an underage as a freshman. But a series of transgressions or a felony charge/conviction probably merits more than a few sentences.
kind of a stupid question. Are you supposed to report your speeding tickets? lol...

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:11 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
forward21 wrote:It ultimately depends on the severity of the incident. Unless it's something more serious, in which background details and further explanation might be helpful (so as to appear like you're fully disclosing), brevity is your friend. They don't expect a full-page apology because you were caught speeding or received an underage as a freshman. But a series of transgressions or a felony charge/conviction probably merits more than a few sentences.
kind of a stupid question. Are you supposed to report your speeding tickets? lol...
There isn't a clear cut answer. Generally, most applications say to exclude "minor traffic violations." If a speeding citation falls under such a description in the jurisdiction it was issued, then yes. I think some higher-speed tickets may be misdemeanors in some areas, and those applications that exclude minor violations may also ask for misdemeanors. The best advice is to simply call the admissions office and ask if you aren't sure.

Some applications do want them though - Minnesota sticks out in my mind, as it doesn't have an exception in its question.

ETA: some applications that don't have state an exception for minor traffic violations nonetheless don't want them - I believe NYU falls into this category.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:16 pm

forward21 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
There isn't a clear cut answer. Generally, most applications say to exclude "minor traffic violations." If a speeding citation falls under such a description in the jurisdiction it was issued, then yes. I think some higher-speed tickets may be misdemeanors in some areas, and those applications that exclude minor violations may also ask for misdemeanors. The best advice is to simply call the admissions office and ask if you aren't sure.

Some applications do want them though - Minnesota sticks out in my mind, as it doesn't have an exception in its question.

ETA: some applications that don't have state an exception for minor traffic violations nonetheless don't want them - I believe NYU falls into this category.

Thanks for your response. I don't understand why the way i drive is relevant to how i will perform in law school. I have 3 speeding tickets, 4 more very minor traffic violations. I don't think any of these is considered a misdemeanor here in California, but does anyone know how to check?(i do remember the UCLA application stating to state all misdemeanors)

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:27 pm

Short and sweet (ok maybe not sweet).

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:30 pm

One page maximum, but as short and factually based as humanly possible.

Lonagan

Bronze

Post by Lonagan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:25 am

paulshortys10 wrote:
forward21 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:

Thanks for your response. I don't understand why the way i drive is relevant to how i will perform in law school. I have 3 speeding tickets, 4 more very minor traffic violations. I don't think any of these is considered a misdemeanor here in California, but does anyone know how to check?(i do remember the UCLA application stating to state all misdemeanors)
They're not trying to penalize you in the application process, they really don't care of your red car goes so so fast. They want to have as much information as possible for C&F. Yes, they could probably get by with less, but they ask these questions for good reasons. Our Dean of Students explained this to us at orientation. I'm pretty happy there is a group of people paid to keep my life from erupting in a giant fireball of misery and failure in three years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”