How long should an addendum be?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Ginj
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

How long should an addendum be?

Postby Ginj » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:33 am

Pretty self-explanatory.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: How long should an addendum be?

Postby merichard87 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:37 am

5 sentences max.

JurisDoctorate
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:22 am

Re: How long should an addendum be?

Postby JurisDoctorate » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:04 am

Really? I thought they could be a page each. I haven't had time to explore the application on the LSAC; I guess I thought you would just attach documents as addendums. Is it a blank text field with room for 5 sentences or so?
Last edited by JurisDoctorate on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: How long should an addendum be?

Postby Spinozist21 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:06 am

My addendums are 3 and 4 sentences apiece.

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: How long should an addendum be?

Postby Lonagan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Be concise.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: How long should an addendum be?

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:54 pm

A paragraph. No more.

User avatar
forward
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 12:16 am

Re: How long should an addendum be?

Postby forward » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:04 pm

It ultimately depends on the severity of the incident. Unless it's something more serious, in which background details and further explanation might be helpful (so as to appear like you're fully disclosing), brevity is your friend. They don't expect a full-page apology because you were caught speeding or received an underage as a freshman. But a series of transgressions or a felony charge/conviction probably merits more than a few sentences.

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: How long should an addendum be?

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:08 pm

forward21 wrote:It ultimately depends on the severity of the incident. Unless it's something more serious, in which background details and further explanation might be helpful (so as to appear like you're fully disclosing), brevity is your friend. They don't expect a full-page apology because you were caught speeding or received an underage as a freshman. But a series of transgressions or a felony charge/conviction probably merits more than a few sentences.


kind of a stupid question. Are you supposed to report your speeding tickets? lol...

User avatar
forward
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 12:16 am

Re: How long should an addendum be?

Postby forward » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:11 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
forward21 wrote:It ultimately depends on the severity of the incident. Unless it's something more serious, in which background details and further explanation might be helpful (so as to appear like you're fully disclosing), brevity is your friend. They don't expect a full-page apology because you were caught speeding or received an underage as a freshman. But a series of transgressions or a felony charge/conviction probably merits more than a few sentences.


kind of a stupid question. Are you supposed to report your speeding tickets? lol...


There isn't a clear cut answer. Generally, most applications say to exclude "minor traffic violations." If a speeding citation falls under such a description in the jurisdiction it was issued, then yes. I think some higher-speed tickets may be misdemeanors in some areas, and those applications that exclude minor violations may also ask for misdemeanors. The best advice is to simply call the admissions office and ask if you aren't sure.

Some applications do want them though - Minnesota sticks out in my mind, as it doesn't have an exception in its question.

ETA: some applications that don't have state an exception for minor traffic violations nonetheless don't want them - I believe NYU falls into this category.

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: How long should an addendum be?

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:16 pm

forward21 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
forward21 wrote:It ultimately depends on the severity of the incident. Unless it's something more serious, in which background details and further explanation might be helpful (so as to appear like you're fully disclosing), brevity is your friend. They don't expect a full-page apology because you were caught speeding or received an underage as a freshman. But a series of transgressions or a felony charge/conviction probably merits more than a few sentences.


kind of a stupid question. Are you supposed to report your speeding tickets? lol...


There isn't a clear cut answer. Generally, most applications say to exclude "minor traffic violations." If a speeding citation falls under such a description in the jurisdiction it was issued, then yes. I think some higher-speed tickets may be misdemeanors in some areas, and those applications that exclude minor violations may also ask for misdemeanors. The best advice is to simply call the admissions office and ask if you aren't sure.

Some applications do want them though - Minnesota sticks out in my mind, as it doesn't have an exception in its question.

ETA: some applications that don't have state an exception for minor traffic violations nonetheless don't want them - I believe NYU falls into this category.


Thanks for your response. I don't understand why the way i drive is relevant to how i will perform in law school. I have 3 speeding tickets, 4 more very minor traffic violations. I don't think any of these is considered a misdemeanor here in California, but does anyone know how to check?(i do remember the UCLA application stating to state all misdemeanors)

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: How long should an addendum be?

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:27 pm

Short and sweet (ok maybe not sweet).

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How long should an addendum be?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:30 pm

One page maximum, but as short and factually based as humanly possible.

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: How long should an addendum be?

Postby Lonagan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:25 am

paulshortys10 wrote:
forward21 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
forward21 wrote:It ultimately depends on the severity of the incident. Unless it's something more serious, in which background details and further explanation might be helpful (so as to appear like you're fully disclosing), brevity is your friend. They don't expect a full-page apology because you were caught speeding or received an underage as a freshman. But a series of transgressions or a felony charge/conviction probably merits more than a few sentences.


kind of a stupid question. Are you supposed to report your speeding tickets? lol...


There isn't a clear cut answer. Generally, most applications say to exclude "minor traffic violations." If a speeding citation falls under such a description in the jurisdiction it was issued, then yes. I think some higher-speed tickets may be misdemeanors in some areas, and those applications that exclude minor violations may also ask for misdemeanors. The best advice is to simply call the admissions office and ask if you aren't sure.

Some applications do want them though - Minnesota sticks out in my mind, as it doesn't have an exception in its question.

ETA: some applications that don't have state an exception for minor traffic violations nonetheless don't want them - I believe NYU falls into this category.


Thanks for your response. I don't understand why the way i drive is relevant to how i will perform in law school. I have 3 speeding tickets, 4 more very minor traffic violations. I don't think any of these is considered a misdemeanor here in California, but does anyone know how to check?(i do remember the UCLA application stating to state all misdemeanors)


They're not trying to penalize you in the application process, they really don't care of your red car goes so so fast. They want to have as much information as possible for C&F. Yes, they could probably get by with less, but they ask these questions for good reasons. Our Dean of Students explained this to us at orientation. I'm pretty happy there is a group of people paid to keep my life from erupting in a giant fireball of misery and failure in three years.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests