Does your undergrad school matter? Can it help an applicant? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
peterb0y

Bronze

Does your undergrad school matter? Can it help an applicant?

Post by peterb0y » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:28 am

I go to a pretty well ranked school, not top 5 or anything, but I think its pretty well regarded. Will my school benefit me in any way on my app? Just curious, thanks guys.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Re: Does your undergrad school matter? Can it help an applicant?

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:16 am

No, not really.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:06 am

If you were literally tied in every single other way with another applicant, they might take the one from the more highly regarded UG. That's about it.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:18 am

peterb0y wrote:I go to a pretty well ranked school, not top 5 or anything, but I think its pretty well regarded. Will my school benefit me in any way on my app? Just curious, thanks guys.
Or, if you're applying to a super TTTT, with awful numbers, they may give you a small bump because of your school, just to have a student attending their TTTT that graduated from XYZ lay-prestige UG. This, aside from a tie-breaker situation, or attending HYP as an undergrad means nothing to adcoms.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:33 am

reasonable_man wrote:
peterb0y wrote:I go to a pretty well ranked school, not top 5 or anything, but I think its pretty well regarded. Will my school benefit me in any way on my app? Just curious, thanks guys.
Or, if you're applying to a super TTTT, with awful numbers, they may give you a small bump because of your school, just to have a student attending their TTTT that graduated from XYZ lay-prestige UG. This, aside from a tie-breaker situation, or attending HYP as an undergrad means nothing to adcoms.
I wonder how much this comes into play... Many schools publish UG institutions represented, I can see a T3/4 school wanted to have a Columbia or Stanford or MIT grad on that list. It's really good for marketing and recruiting. It's just another diversity factor. I wonder if you go to a T20 UG and you focus on schools that your fellow students don't usually attend, would you get a bigger bump because of class diversity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:57 am

r6_philly wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
I wonder how much this comes into play... Many schools publish UG institutions represented, I can see a T3/4 school wanted to have a Columbia or Stanford or MIT grad on that list. It's really good for marketing and recruiting. It's just another diversity factor. I wonder if you go to a T20 UG and you focus on schools that your fellow students don't usually attend, would you get a bigger bump because of class diversity.
I subbed in as an adcom person from time to time while attending my TTT (which placed one or two students on the board to select the income 1L class)... i.e. my roommate got lazy and I would go through some of the applications with the criteria they used.. In reviewing files and looking at professors notes on the applications, I can tell you that at a lower ranked TTT, it matters if you went to NYU/BU or above, especially if the NYU/BU and above school is geographically diverse from the area where you are applying.

At top tier schools, I doubt it matters much, if at all.

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:04 am

I agree with the above posters.

I agree that if you are applying to a middle tier school and you are diverse from their other applicant pool based on your school then yeah I think it would be helpful. However, applying to top schools it would only really be helpful as a tie-breaker. If, for instance, you apply to GTown...and you went to Vanderbilt and another person went to University of Georgia (just examples) and the GPA and LSAT are close I think you would get a slight bump...only because of the difficulty of your undergraduate school.

Again, it is really tough to tell specifically, but I would say it couldn't hurt you to have gone to a better school. And, yes, on the whole it does matter where you have gone.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Some schools like HYS, Chicago, and Penn are known to prefer top UGs.

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:49 pm

im_blue wrote:Some schools like HYS, Chicago, and Penn are known to prefer top UGs.
Yup. Berkeley UG is a feeder school for Columbia, for instance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ship87

Bronze

Post by Ship87 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:01 pm

I wonder about this too because I go to a fairly average state school in PA. Not a bad school, but not a name brand by any means. I'm majoring in Physics and Economics so I'm hoping my majors will set me apart, and my numbers are in the middle for T14s (3.74, 171). Maybe, just maybe, going to a state school will actually be helpfull in a diversity sort of way, but I doubt it.

For Chicago and Penn specifically, how much of a difference would you estimate coming from a regular state school would count in admission? I'm thinking that in a tie breaker situation it would (and with my numbers, I'd assume theres lots of other applications with similar stats), but if you have other stuff on your app like interesting/difficult majors, good ps and grat reccomendations, the school wouldn't be so much of a factor.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:41 pm

Ship87 wrote:I wonder about this too because I go to a fairly average state school in PA. Not a bad school, but not a name brand by any means. I'm majoring in Physics and Economics so I'm hoping my majors will set me apart, and my numbers are in the middle for T14s (3.74, 171). Maybe, just maybe, going to a state school will actually be helpfull in a diversity sort of way, but I doubt it.

For Chicago and Penn specifically, how much of a difference would you estimate coming from a regular state school would count in admission? I'm thinking that in a tie breaker situation it would (and with my numbers, I'd assume theres lots of other applications with similar stats), but if you have other stuff on your app like interesting/difficult majors, good ps and grat reccomendations, the school wouldn't be so much of a factor.
Which one? I went to wcu. I was waitlisted by Penn last year applying super late (March). I know my UG did me no favors. But Penn grad school took me and didn't seem to bother them too much, I have classmates from wcu, iup and shippensburg. I hope they will look past my ug now :D (if it's indeed a negative)

Ship87

Bronze

Post by Ship87 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:55 pm

mind if i ask what your stats were?

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:08 pm

ITT: pa state schools represent.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:48 pm

Ship87 wrote:mind if i ask what your stats were?
It's in my profile too. 3.9/170. 4.0 at wcu. I'd recommend probably ED to Penn unless you like Chicago that much more.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:56 pm

If your undergrad's rep plays a significant role, then I'm screwed. I just saw my school's stats in my Academic Summary Report on LSAC and it's ugly to say the least. I actually LOLd.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:00 am

The Gentleman wrote:If your undergrad's rep plays a significant role, then I'm screwed. I just saw my school's stats in my Academic Summary Report on LSAC and it's ugly to say the least. I actually LOLd.
Your 4.0 GPA will take you far despite your mediocre UG.

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:07 am

a lot of people hate on this, but i think its pretty credited: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=119327

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:54 am

im_blue wrote:The Gentleman wrote:
If your undergrad's rep plays a significant role, then I'm screwed. I just saw my school's stats in my Academic Summary Report on LSAC and it's ugly to say the least. I actually LOLd.

Your 4.0 GPA will take you far despite your mediocre UG.
Mediocre is generous. USNWR says its TTTT lol. But hey I got no UG debt!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”