Can you apply to law schools a second time?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bottledwater

Can you apply to law schools a second time?

Postby bottledwater » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:12 am

Hypothetically speaking:

I applied to a bunch of law schools this year and I wanted to apply to different law schools next year. Like I get rejected from my dream school or I chose to work one more year... these sort of scenarios where I wanted to apply again next year.

Would the law schools I want to apply to next year know I applied to law schools this year?

Does it have a negative impact if I apply again the second year. Do they know? Should I add an addendum or some sort?

Thank you so much for your help.

CanadianWolf

Re: Can you apply to law schools a second time?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:33 am

You can apply to law schools this year & next year. This is commonly done because personal situations change and/or need for financial aid was not met. You may reapply to the same schools with an updated application. There is no limit on the number of law schools to which one may apply. If affordable, one could attempt to get into the Guinness Book of World Records for most law schools applied to, accepted to, and/or rejected from.
You do not need to write an addendum for applying to law schools in more than one application cycle.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:55 am

Law schools you did apply to and law schools you did not apply to will be all too happy to take your money next year...At about $80 a pop per application, they'll love you. Go for it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:07 am

Even if you apply to the same law schools a second time in two consecutive years, the admission decision could be different depending upon various factors including a new LSAT score, applying early in the admissions cycle versus late & what you did during your year in between (e.g. travel, work, study abroad, caring for a sick family member, etc.).

mst

Postby mst » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:23 am

The schools that you applied to this year would know next year when you applied to them again (you have to disclose it on the application, and this will lead them to dig up your application from last year). Schools your applying to for the first time will not know you've applied to other schools in the past; they only ask if you have registered or attended other schools previously.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:23 am

It's like voting in Chicago: apply early and often.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”