My "Criminal" Record - What should I disclose?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
javancho

My "Criminal" Record - What should I disclose?

Postby javancho » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:17 pm

HI
Last edited by javancho on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

broker02

Re: My "Criminal" Record - What should I disclose?

Postby broker02 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:09 pm

I know it depends on your state, but technically in my state traffic offenses are considered misdemeanors. (Crime can only fit one of the two classifications). I'd pay for a copy of your criminal background check to see if any of them show up - this should give you a guideline on what to disclose. It'd be $30 well worth it so it gives you a baseline of what you should report.

I'd also befriend a cop and have them run your DL# through their database and see what pops. Just a suggestion.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Well if you want real legal advice you should ask a lawyer not current and perspective law students. I wouldn't disclose any of that stuff though but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. They aren't crimes in my state and I think some of those are the definition of "minor traffic violations"

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Disclose. Those sorts of things aren't going to hurt you, in the admissions process. Felonies and misdemeanors are not the only things considered crimes. An ordinance violation would be an example.

If you are at all questioning you should disclose.

javancho

Postby javancho » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:29 pm

theavrock wrote:Disclose. Those sorts of things aren't going to hurt you, in the admissions process. Felonies and misdemeanors are not the only things considered crimes. An ordinance violation would be an example.

I know these violations are minor, and I don't have a problem disclosing them. I just don't want the adcomm to think that I am wasting their time by explaining things that didn't really need to be explained. Thanks for your input.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:43 pm

disclose it. They're not really crimes... just stupid write on tickets ( other than the irs thing). If you want a definite answer, contact UNC and tell them on the phone. The admissions person will let you know if they want it, or consider any of them to be non moving, tickets. Even if they want you to explain them- it shouldnt hurt your application. I dont think you can go wrong telling them whats on your record, even if it is something like that. Its always better to be safe than sorry

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:50 pm

broker02 wrote:I'd also befriend a cop and have them run your DL# through their database and see what pops. Just a suggestion.

or pm someone your name that has access to westlaw.

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:57 am

Nothing.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:45 am

Man, you got ticketed on the Metro? You have to just be smart, you can obviously see the cops when they come into your car and that is when you exit. Literally, they check tickets every 20th car.

javancho

Postby javancho » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Man, you got ticketed on the Metro? You have to just be smart, you can obviously see the cops when they come into your car and that is when you exit. Literally, they check tickets every 20th car.

I didn't know I had the wrong Metrolink ticket. I purchased my ticket thinking that I had the correct fare.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:52 pm

Were you a senior in college at the time ? Or, if you were a Spanish major, then you may have another excuse.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:05 pm

javancho wrote:I am a 30-year old applicant to UNC and I am not sure what to disclose. I am afraid that under-disclosing will come back to haunt me, but I am also afraid that over-disclosing may be viewed as lack of judgment. Please advise. Here is my COMPLETE record:

1. Invalid fare at the Metrolink in St. Louis (Metro). I purchased a senior's ticket (by mistake) and I was not a senior. I was issued a summons and paid the fine.

2. Failure to show proof of insurance. I left the insurance card at home. I later showed the judge/court I had insurance. Dismissed.

3. Failure to show BOTH license plates. My car only had the back license plate. Ticketed and paid the fine.

4. Improper Equipment/Driving Without Two Headlights. Only the right one was working. Ticketed and paid the fine.

5. Failure to display Registration Sticker. Those are routinely stolen in St. Louis, and I think mine was as well. Ticketed and paid the fine.

6. Letter from the IRS about "Errors" in 2005 Income Tax Return. I never received a 1099 (sent to an old address) and that income was not included in my return. The omitted income was about 5% of total income that year. Paid about $260 for "additional tax, penalties, and interest." IRS sent me a letter saying they are happy and the matter is closed.

Now the UNC question:

Have you ever received a citation for, been arrested for, charged with, convicted of, or pled guilty, no contest, nolo contendere, entered an Alford plea, or otherwise accepted responsibility for a crime, or have you received a deferred prosecution or prayer for judgment continued, for any criminal charge other than a minor traffic violation? This would include any charges of driving under the influence or any other drug or alcohol related offenses. (Juvenile records that have been sealed or expunged need not be disclosed.)

I am not what they mean by "crime." I checked and none of those violations are misdemeanors. Are my tickets/notices/etc crimes? What should I disclose?

2-5 are not even borderline. The app does not ask you to disclose that stuff. 6 is almost certainly not a crime, but you might think about disclosing it. 1 I don't know. Turnstyle jumping is a crime in a lot of places, and this is sort of like that. I really don't know whether that's considered a crime in St. Louis or not. That's the one I would most strongly encourage you to disclose.

That being said, if you disclosed them all you aren't going to lose points for being honest or overly cautious about being above-board.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Lonagan wrote:
javancho wrote:I am a 30-year old applicant to UNC and I am not sure what to disclose. I am afraid that under-disclosing will come back to haunt me, but I am also afraid that over-disclosing may be viewed as lack of judgment. Please advise. Here is my COMPLETE record:

1. Invalid fare at the Metrolink in St. Louis (Metro). I purchased a senior's ticket (by mistake) and I was not a senior. I was issued a summons and paid the fine.

2. Failure to show proof of insurance. I left the insurance card at home. I later showed the judge/court I had insurance. Dismissed.

3. Failure to show BOTH license plates. My car only had the back license plate. Ticketed and paid the fine.

4. Improper Equipment/Driving Without Two Headlights. Only the right one was working. Ticketed and paid the fine.

5. Failure to display Registration Sticker. Those are routinely stolen in St. Louis, and I think mine was as well. Ticketed and paid the fine.

6. Letter from the IRS about "Errors" in 2005 Income Tax Return. I never received a 1099 (sent to an old address) and that income was not included in my return. The omitted income was about 5% of total income that year. Paid about $260 for "additional tax, penalties, and interest." IRS sent me a letter saying they are happy and the matter is closed.

Now the UNC question:

Have you ever received a citation for, been arrested for, charged with, convicted of, or pled guilty, no contest, nolo contendere, entered an Alford plea, or otherwise accepted responsibility for a crime, or have you received a deferred prosecution or prayer for judgment continued, for any criminal charge other than a minor traffic violation? This would include any charges of driving under the influence or any other drug or alcohol related offenses. (Juvenile records that have been sealed or expunged need not be disclosed.)

I am not what they mean by "crime." I checked and none of those violations are misdemeanors. Are my tickets/notices/etc crimes? What should I disclose?

2-5 are not even borderline. The app does not ask you to disclose that stuff. 6 is almost certainly not a crime, but you might think about disclosing it. 1 I don't know. Turnstyle jumping is a crime in a lot of places, and this is sort of like that. I really don't know whether that's considered a crime in St. Louis or not. That's the one I would most strongly encourage you to disclose.

That being said, if you disclosed them all you aren't going to lose points for being honest or overly cautious about being above-board.

There are no turnstyles. Basically, you can buy a ticket or not but still got on the train. They then check tickets every so often. They are just really understaffed. It's not a crime just a small ticket.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:15 am

Yeah sounds like it's not then. It sounds like you can decide not to disclose that stuff with a straight face. Safest course is to call the school and ask them, and do what they say. I don't think any of this will have any bear whatsoever on your admission chances, but if you can dot your i's and cross your t's this early in the C&F process it can't hurt.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:21 am

theavrock wrote:Disclose. Those sorts of things aren't going to hurt you, in the admissions process. Felonies and misdemeanors are not the only things considered crimes. An ordinance violation would be an example.

lolwut

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:22 am

Yeah I read that and was thinking grenades, perhaps artillery shells.

bjc314

Postby bjc314 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:34 am

I'm from St. Louis as well, and have had a few blemishes on my record. Metro link violations and the other things you mentioned fall under the category of citations, so definitely disclose in a brief addendum. I highly doubt these would have any effect whatsoever on your chances of being admitted wherever you may apply.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:48 am

MrKappus wrote:

lolwut

Sorry let me spell that our for you. An ordinance violation, some of which do not fall under the category of felony or misdemeanor, can still considered a crime and should be disclosed if the application is asking for any crime as opposed to only felonies and misdemeanors.

I'm not sure what the Metrolink violation would be considered, but it was an example of something that may fall under the category of a crime that is not a felony or misdemeanor.

HTH

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:33 am

theavrock wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

lolwut

Sorry let me spell that our for you. An ordinance violation, some of which do not fall under the category of felony or misdemeanor, can still considered a crime and should be disclosed if the application is asking for any crime as opposed to only felonies and misdemeanors.

I'm not sure what the Metrolink violation would be considered, but it was an example of something that may fall under the category of a crime that is not a felony or misdemeanor.

HTH

No.

Pip

Postby Pip » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:31 am

I'm guessing if you disclosed that whole list the admissions reader would just either just laugh about how uptight you must be to list such trivial things, then wonder if you understood what traffic violation was since those clearly shouldn't have been included, maybe pass your application on to others to have a laugh and then send you a ding letter.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:15 pm

or they laugh at how uptight you are... pass it on to some professors who may get the honor of teaching you... who then laugh and say admit him/her... and love the fact that is the potential to have a student in their class who will do everything the professor suggests the class to do.( and the professors twisted mind[in a progfessional way] starts turning as they begin to plot ways to get the class to do more than what they assigned for work

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:59 pm

MrKappus wrote:
theavrock wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

lolwut

HTH

No.

It's a fairly simple concept. Sorry you don't understand.

javancho

Postby javancho » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Thank you very much for all your comments! They have been VERY useful.
I investigated my Metrolink violation, and found that St Louis considers it a Traffic violation... don't ask me why!

Anyhow, I think this is what I am gonna do. For the question:

I will answer:

NO. However, in the spirit of full disclosure, I summarize in the attachment named "Violations" the instances when I broke the law (with the exception of parking violations). If you believe any of these merit further explanation, please do not hesitate to contact me.

My attachment will be very similar to my first post and will include dates and places. I think that by doing this I show that I understand the question (even though I don't, hence I am discussing it here), and at the same time I come clean, which might come useful during the Character and Fitness evaluation.

Any thoughts?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:24 pm

javancho wrote:Thank you very much for all your comments! They have been VERY useful.
I investigated my Metrolink violation, and found that St Louis considers it a Traffic violation... don't ask me why!

Anyhow, I think this is what I am gonna do. For the question:

I will answer:

NO. However, in the spirit of full disclosure, I summarize in the attachment named "Violations" the instances when I broke the law (with the exception of parking violations). If you believe any of these merit further explanation, please do not hesitate to contact me.

My attachment will be very similar to my first post and will include dates and places. I think that by doing this I show that I understand the question (even though I don't, hence I am discussing it here), and at the same time I come clean, which might come useful during the Character and Fitness evaluation.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't do that. You could absolutely get away with not disclosing anything and the only thing that was even questionable is number 1 -- and you have already determined that it was a minor traffic violation -- the others are very very minor traffic tickets and a tax penalty (about the equivalent of a library fine). If you want to disclose to help you sleep at night, just disclose it normally but there is no reason to.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:26 pm

theavrock wrote:It's a fairly simple concept. Sorry you don't understand.

Nope.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”