the use of index? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vsl89

Bronze

the use of index?

Post by vsl89 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:07 pm

I noticed that people mentioned on this forum that schools (in particular CLS) use indexes for figuring out whether or not to admit people. I noticed on LSN for the 08-09 cycle, ppl were keen to list their indexes. However,did Columbia stop relying on them since no one last year uploaded them on LSN? They don't seem to be as popular a topic of discussion as they once were on this forum, so I'm just guessing that while they may still be mentioned on your report to CLS, they are no longer all that important?

rundoxierun

Gold

Re: the use of index?

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:12 pm

vsl89 wrote:I noticed that people mentioned on this forum that schools (in particular CLS) use indexes for figuring out whether or not to admit people. I noticed on LSN for the 08-09 cycle, ppl were keen to list their indexes. However,did Columbia stop relying on them since no one last year uploaded them on LSN? They don't seem to be as popular a topic of discussion as they once were on this forum, so I'm just guessing that while they may still be mentioned on your report to CLS, they are no longer all that important?
All an index is, is your numbers represented in a different form. I.e. 3.7+, 176+=4.5 index number by definition. If 3.7+, 176 is basically autoadmit so would be a 4.5 index number that comes from these numbers. Of course an issue arises when another combination of numbers lead to the same index number. For instance, 3.6, 175 leads to ~4.4 but so does 3.2, 180. Depending on the school, these two sets of numbers may have completely different chances of admission despite having the same index score. Because of this, index numbers dont really have much independent value.

vsl89

Bronze

Re: the use of index?

Post by vsl89 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:38 pm

thanks for the help!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”