No LOR required? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bottledwater

New

No LOR required?

Post by bottledwater » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:25 pm

So I went to the law school forum yesterday and discovered that some law schools do not need letters of recommendation at all.
I was pretty surprised.

Now, I need your help. Please tell me all the law schools you know that do not required LOR. That you so much for your help.

forward

Bronze

Re: No LOR required?

Post by forward » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:36 pm

--LinkRemoved-- is a start.

bottledwater

New

Post by bottledwater » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:47 pm

:shock: :o :D Thank you so much!!!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Berkeley and Northwestern are the T14s that don't require LORs.

etown989

Bronze

Post by etown989 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:46 pm

Is it advisable to include one or two anyways?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:17 am

I was going to provide two to both Berkeley and Northwestern, I had viewed them as fairly integral components of my overall application. People are applying to T14 schools without providing references?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:49 pm

ahduth wrote:I was going to provide two to both Berkeley and Northwestern, I had viewed them as fairly integral components of my overall application. People are applying to T14 schools without providing references?
NU doesn't take traditional LORs - you have to ask your recommenders to fill out their school-specific form.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:14 pm

im_blue wrote:NU doesn't take traditional LORs - you have to ask your recommenders to fill out their school-specific form.
Wow... that form is brutal. I guess I could try and get my academic reference to fill it out. My professional reference is... very very busy, I'm pretty fortunate to be getting his help with this at all tbqh.

To revise my question, are people applying to Northwestern with only one reference? Maybe I've been working too long, and I'm over-emphasizing the importance of these as part of my application.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:27 pm

im_blue wrote:
ahduth wrote:I was going to provide two to both Berkeley and Northwestern, I had viewed them as fairly integral components of my overall application. People are applying to T14 schools without providing references?
NU doesn't take traditional LORs - you have to ask your recommenders to fill out their school-specific form.
Wait, really? I recall hearing that this was optional and you could use the LSAC method instead if you wanted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:58 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
im_blue wrote:
Wait, really? I recall hearing that this was optional and you could use the LSAC method instead if you wanted.
"Letters of recommendation are not required as part of the admissions process. If you choose to include recommendation information you must have your recommender complete our Career Progress Evaluation Form (in lieu of a letter of recommendation). The CPE Form should be completed by someone who can evaluate your professional work-related performance (current or former supervisor, clients or coworker). The CPE Form is available through LSAC as a downloaded supplemental form. It is also available as an electronic form on the Northwestern Law Admissions website."

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ctions.pdf

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:51 am

If I don't do it will they still let me in with 3.5x, 173+ and WE? Has anybody been admitted to NU without filling out the special forms?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:26 pm

This is the first year they have the special form, so it's anybody's guess how they plan to treat these.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:11 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:If I don't do it will they still let me in with 3.5x, 173+ and WE? Has anybody been admitted to NU without filling out the special forms?
I would think you are very, very likely to be admitted. Hard to tell with the new forms, though, so good luck!

Also, maybe write the optional essay? That could help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”