Applicant FAQ

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:34 pm

dulcatis wrote:So here's a post about if you applied in October regarding when you might hear back, in case people are obsessive like me:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137012


I'll put this in the OP.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby Confused7 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:49 am

Do fee waivers have an "expiration date"? If they don't say explicitly in the their emails, does this mean that I use them if I apply next cycle? Thanks!

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:11 pm

Confused7 wrote:Do fee waivers have an "expiration date"? If they don't say explicitly in the their emails, does this mean that I use them if I apply next cycle? Thanks!


Yeah, they expire at the end of the cycle, so no.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby Confused7 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks, acrossthelake. Do law schools solicit you again next cycle for fee waivers even if you don't take another LSAT?

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Confused7 wrote:Thanks, acrossthelake. Do law schools solicit you again next cycle for fee waivers even if you don't take another LSAT?


Some, but not all.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7967
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:16 pm

Confused7 wrote:Thanks, acrossthelake. Do law schools solicit you again next cycle for fee waivers even if you don't take another LSAT?

You can update what cycle you are applying on LSAC. So in the fall you will be able to specify that you're applying the 2011-2012 cycle instead of 2010-2011 cycle. Then you'll receive fee waivers again but not necessarily from the same schools.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:26 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Thanks, acrossthelake. Do law schools solicit you again next cycle for fee waivers even if you don't take another LSAT?

You can update what cycle you are applying on LSAC. So in the fall you will be able to specify that you're applying the 2011-2012 cycle instead of 2010-2011 cycle. Then you'll receive fee waivers again but not necessarily from the same schools.


Some people have had luck contacting schools that gave them waivers in the cycle where they didn't apply and getting the school to give a current waiver.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby Confused7 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks everyone! That would be pretty sweet if I could contact the current fee waiver schools to give me waivers again next year. Now LAST QUESTION: but the schools that I apply this cycle with fee waivers will not accept fee waivers next cycle if I apply there again?

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby firemed » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Hey... so if I have a school specific LOR (from an alumni)... but it won't get there for a month... should I submit without it, and then send it later?

And if I do send it later, do I send it to LSAC for them to forward?

And if I do send it later, do I do it only if I am WLed? Or just the moment I get it?

User avatar
jwaters
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby jwaters » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:37 pm

I submitted all my apps (yesterday) with 2 LoR's assigned, but only one letter has been received by LSAC. The other one is being sent by priority mail in the morning. The schools I applied to will hold my app until the other letter gets processed and they receive it, correct?

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:08 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:Hey... so if I have a school specific LOR (from an alumni)... but it won't get there for a month... should I submit without it, and then send it later?

And if I do send it later, do I send it to LSAC for them to forward?

And if I do send it later, do I do it only if I am WLed? Or just the moment I get it?


Unless you need it to meet a min number of LOR's, I'd go ahead. Up to you if you ask them to hold the app until it arrives. What are your chances at this school? How many LOR's are you sending already? The answers to those affect the send it now/hold for WL debate :-)

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:09 pm

jwaters wrote:I submitted all my apps (yesterday) with 2 LoR's assigned, but only one letter has been received by LSAC. The other one is being sent by priority mail in the morning. The schools I applied to will hold my app until the other letter gets processed and they receive it, correct?


Depends. Some schools begin processing as soon as they have an LSAT, your app, and one letter unless you ask them to hold it. I think it was GW or GULC that had a spot for this on the app. If they require two LOR's, then they will hold your app until the second arrives.

User avatar
jwaters
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby jwaters » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:14 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:If they require two LOR's, then they will hold your app until the second arrives.


Yeah, I'm only concerned about the ones requiring two. I was sort of paranoid that they might just toss the app if everything wasn't there at the time I submitted.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby firemed » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
firemedicprelaw wrote:Hey... so if I have a school specific LOR (from an alumni)... but it won't get there for a month... should I submit without it, and then send it later?

And if I do send it later, do I send it to LSAC for them to forward?

And if I do send it later, do I do it only if I am WLed? Or just the moment I get it?


Unless you need it to meet a min number of LOR's, I'd go ahead. Up to you if you ask them to hold the app until it arrives. What are your chances at this school? How many LOR's are you sending already? The answers to those affect the send it now/hold for WL debate :-)


It is a reach, but not a horrible reach. I am already sending the usual 3.

I think I'll send it later if I get WLed. Does LSAC do that... or do I need to have it sent to them some other way? And if LSAC does it... do I just assign it later, or what?

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:32 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
firemedicprelaw wrote:Hey... so if I have a school specific LOR (from an alumni)... but it won't get there for a month... should I submit without it, and then send it later?

And if I do send it later, do I send it to LSAC for them to forward?

And if I do send it later, do I do it only if I am WLed? Or just the moment I get it?


Unless you need it to meet a min number of LOR's, I'd go ahead. Up to you if you ask them to hold the app until it arrives. What are your chances at this school? How many LOR's are you sending already? The answers to those affect the send it now/hold for WL debate :-)


It is a reach, but not a horrible reach. I am already sending the usual 3.

I think I'll send it later if I get WLed. Does LSAC do that... or do I need to have it sent to them some other way? And if LSAC does it... do I just assign it later, or what?


Yeah, you can just assign it later, and they'll send an updated packet automatically. You can check it on the "Report Status" page.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:33 pm

jwaters wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:If they require two LOR's, then they will hold your app until the second arrives.


Yeah, I'm only concerned about the ones requiring two. I was sort of paranoid that they might just toss the app if everything wasn't there at the time I submitted.


They won't toss it, but they probably won't look at it until it goes complete.

User avatar
soupisgood
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 2:21 am

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby soupisgood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 am

All my apps are complete/UR. It's too late to submit "Why ___" essays, correct? And when should one send LOCI's? Only after getting deferred/WL'd?

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby kazu » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:20 am

soupisgood wrote:All my apps are complete/UR. It's too late to submit "Why ___" essays, correct? And when should one send LOCI's? Only after getting deferred/WL'd?

1) Yes, it is too late.

2) I think it's okay to send them after a while - if you're still UR in February, March etc. when you submitted in Sep/Oct. I might be wrong though.

User avatar
knotoftoads
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby knotoftoads » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:22 am

Does anyone know if you can send evaluations after you've submitted your apps??

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:31 pm

knotoftoads wrote:Does anyone know if you can send evaluations after you've submitted your apps??


You can send LORs after submitting...can prolly send evals too.

AEM2010
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby AEM2010 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:19 pm

I know that, at least for michigan, the admissions office can see if you are trying to login to the admitted students site (to find out before the mail arrives if you got in). Does anyone know if admissions offices can see how often you login to the status checker? And whether they care?

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:05 pm

AEM2010 wrote:I know that, at least for michigan, the admissions office can see if you are trying to login to the admitted students site (to find out before the mail arrives if you got in). Does anyone know if admissions offices can see how often you login to the status checker? And whether they care?


I don't think anyone other than adcomms can answer this for sure, but as to the second part, I'm pretty sure they don't care. They'd have to hire whole new people to care. They have thousands of applications, and I'd imagine lol'ing at the neuroses of prospective students is not high on the priority list.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby kazu » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:21 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
AEM2010 wrote:I know that, at least for michigan, the admissions office can see if you are trying to login to the admitted students site (to find out before the mail arrives if you got in). Does anyone know if admissions offices can see how often you login to the status checker? And whether they care?


I don't think anyone other than adcomms can answer this for sure, but as to the second part, I'm pretty sure they don't care. They'd have to hire whole new people to care. They have thousands of applications, and I'd imagine lol'ing at the neuroses of prospective students is not high on the priority list.

Also, I think it was the people checking a few dozen times per day that got the mich adcomms slightly irritated, not "every once in a while", and they only started checking because it was slowing their system down or something. Soooo don't be too paranoid guys :|

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Postby kazu » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:55 am

Question:

I know it's a bit early to be thinking of this, but what's "okay" to send as a LOCI? I know people send LORs and Why essays. Would a diversity statement also be okay?

eve2490
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:00 am

.

Postby eve2490 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:19 am

.
Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gitaroo_Dude, slimjims27 and 10 guests