Applicant FAQ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
risktaker

Silver

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Post by risktaker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:06 pm

I posted this elsewhere, but no one has replied, so maybe I'll have better luck here. My highest LSAT score is 157, but I will be re-taking in February 2011. I was already accepted with $$ to one of my safeties in the lower T2. I still have not heard back from several schools and have been placed in the "hold" category by two schools after initial review. I do not want my applications held for my February LSAT to the schools that I have applied to aside from my top choice school. In order for these schools to render decisions before the Feb LSAT score comes out, do I have to call these schools and specifically tell them to give me a decision with my current score? Also, will they wait on my Feb score even if I call them and tell them to give me a decision with my current score? Thank you in advance.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:20 pm

risktaker wrote:I posted this elsewhere, but no one has replied, so maybe I'll have better luck here. My highest LSAT score is 157, but I will be re-taking in February 2011. I was already accepted with $$ to one of my safeties in the lower T2. I still have not heard back from several schools and have been placed in the "hold" category by two schools after initial review. I do not want my applications held for my February LSAT to the schools that I have applied to aside from my top choice school. In order for these schools to render decisions before the Feb LSAT score comes out, do I have to call these schools and specifically tell them to give me a decision with my current score? Also, will they wait on my Feb score even if I call them and tell them to give me a decision with my current score? Thank you in advance.
You can ask them to evaluate your app w/ your current score, either by phone or email. Whether they will or not depends on the school - some will say yes, others will refuse to. Best way to find out is to contact them.

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:37 pm

My only concern is that I do not want to call a school and inform them of my Feb LSAT if they will not find out about it otherwise. I know there doesn't seem to be a consensus on TLS, but would you know if the schools will find out about a Feb LSAT if I had submitted my apps in November not intending to take the Feb LSAT and made no mention of it on my app?

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:48 pm

risktaker wrote:My only concern is that I do not want to call a school and inform they of my Feb LSAT if they will not find out about it otherwise. I know there doesn't seem to be a consensus on TLS, but would you know if the schools will find out about a Feb LSAT if I had submitted my apps in November not intending to take the Feb LSAT and made no mention of it on my app?
LSAC notifies schools you've applied to that you've signed up for another LSAT. So they probably already know (if you've already signed up to take it).

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:24 pm

Schools are different, I'd try and find out the policies for all schools you applied to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ticket2ride

New

Post by Ticket2ride » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi,

I have two LSAT scores (155, 168) I just got the 168 and it will be sent to the schoold I have applied to. My question is if I should also send them and email to make them aware of my improved score. Redundancy?

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Ticket2ride wrote:Hi,

I have two LSAT scores (155, 168) I just got the 168 and it will be sent to the schoold I have applied to. My question is if I should also send them and email to make them aware of my improved score. Redundancy?

Call admissions. Most schools do not mind a phone call in the least. Its quicker for both of you.

dr123

Gold

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ

Post by dr123 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:40 am

How do you apply to Canadian law schools?

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:46 am

dr123 wrote:How do you apply to Canadian law schools?
Instructions are on each schools site. Ontario schools require you to sign up for OLSAS and submit your application through that system. It's a pain in the ass, unnecessarily cumbersome, and ridiculously expensive. Other schools I believe you apply to directly, but go browse their sites for more in depth answers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:50 am

kazu wrote:
risktaker wrote:My only concern is that I do not want to call a school and inform they of my Feb LSAT if they will not find out about it otherwise. I know there doesn't seem to be a consensus on TLS, but would you know if the schools will find out about a Feb LSAT if I had submitted my apps in November not intending to take the Feb LSAT and made no mention of it on my app?
LSAC notifies schools you've applied to that you've signed up for another LSAT. So they probably already know (if you've already signed up to take it).
I called LSAC (twice, so as to get two different people to answer) regarding this. I was told differently. Both individuals told me that LSAC will not notify schools that you have gone complete to if you later register for another LSAT but they will update your file to schools once your new score comes in.

edit: didn't realize how late this answer was, but I do think it's relevant if anyone is still debating squeezing in before the late registration deadline.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:53 am

CastleRock wrote:
Instructions are on each schools site. Ontario schools require you to sign up for OLSAS and submit your application through that system. It's a pain in the ass, unnecessarily cumbersome, and ridiculously expensive. Other schools I believe you apply to directly, but go browse their sites for more in depth answers.
Can LSAC send your materials or do you have to start the process all over again?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:18 am

dr123 wrote:Can LSAC send your materials or do you have to start the process all over again?
I'm almost positive it is completely separate from LSAC.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:19 am

dr123 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
Can LSAC send your materials or do you have to start the process all over again?
LSAC sends your lsat score. That's it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:11 am

JenDarby wrote:
kazu wrote:
I called LSAC (twice, so as to get two different people to answer) regarding this. I was told differently. Both individuals told me that LSAC will not notify schools that you have gone complete to if you later register for another LSAT but they will update your file to schools once your new score comes in.

edit: didn't realize how late this answer was, but I do think it's relevant if anyone is still debating squeezing in before the late registration deadline.
Yep, I found this out a couple of days ago as well - when I wrote that it was based on what other people had said on TLS... which turned out not to be true.

Sorry for the misinformation everyone :|

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:40 pm

mths wrote:
dr123 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
LSAC sends your lsat score. That's it.
Damn that's weak, that almost makes me not want to apply to UBC.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:01 pm

dr123 wrote:
Damn that's weak, that almost makes me not want to apply to UBC.
Consider this: You will have to pay international rates, you will have to take loans for everything, there is no loan forgiveness because you will be staying in Canada, pay is lower there in general, and you have to do a year of articling. Oh, and they are all pretty skimpy on merit based aid, because they take care of people over there with really good need based aid.

Worth it if you can get permanent residency beforehand, however. Then I wouldn't even be going to a US school probably.

agora139

Bronze

Post by agora139 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:45 am

since this isnt explicitly addressed in the FAQ post (or if it is, i missed it and apologize!) but sending a new transcript to LSAC means that they will both update my LSDAS GPA as well as send the updated report to all the schools I sent reports to this cycle, right? I sent in the transcript about five days ago, when can i expect it to go through? ALSO, i didn't have to notify LSAC that i was sending a new transcript in, right? I just printed out the form on the website and sent it in through my registrar.

sorry for the kind of silly questions, i obviously want everything to be perfect :?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:44 am

agora139 wrote:since this isnt explicitly addressed in the FAQ post (or if it is, i missed it and apologize!) but sending a new transcript to LSAC means that they will both update my LSDAS GPA as well as send the updated report to all the schools I sent reports to this cycle, right? I sent in the transcript about five days ago, when can i expect it to go through? ALSO, i didn't have to notify LSAC that i was sending a new transcript in, right? I just printed out the form on the website and sent it in through my registrar.

sorry for the kind of silly questions, i obviously want everything to be perfect :?
Correct, sending a new transcript to LSAC means they will updated your LSDAS GPA and send the updated reports to all the schools you sent in applications.. And give it a little bit, it took me quite a while for my updated transcript to get to LSAC and get processed. No you did not have to notify LSAC that you were sending in a new transcript, you did it exactly right.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:33 pm

How should one go about withdrawing from law schools? Is email okay? What should the email say? Should it be sent to the general admissions email?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:57 pm

E-mail is great. Be quick, thankful and polite. They might follow up by asking where you are going.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Random thing I've found this app cycle:

On apps asking if you've been accused of a crime, even if it was dismissed, I had to disclose an instance several years back in which I argued with a police officer on behalf of a friend, and got a disorderly conduct ticket that I then argued on my own behalf, and was dismissed by a judge in city court who agreed with my position and my right to argue.

I had expected this to hurt me as the incident took place at a bar, but it seems to have helped me. It seems if you get accused of garbage and successfully argue your way out of it, you might be looked at more favorably.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:33 pm

Barbie wrote:How should one go about withdrawing from law schools? Is email okay? What should the email say? Should it be sent to the general admissions email?
When I withdrew from schools, I made it short and sweet.

"I would like to formally withdraw my application from School X. Thank you for your consideration."

Sincerely,

NCtoDC
L#xxxxxxxx

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:58 am

I did some variant of "Thank you very much for your offer of admission, but I have decided to pursue other options, and I would like to withdraw my application from ______"

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Re: Applicant FAQ

Post by FantasticMrFox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:19 pm

Thank you so much!

remadrid17

New

Re: Applicant FAQ

Post by remadrid17 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:36 pm

Maybe I should know the answer to this question but I'll ask anyway...

When I was in school ( a little while ago) I withdrew from a class. Following summer I took that course along with some other courses at a local school area and got all A's.
A. Should I send the transcript in?
B. How much of a difference will it make on when LSAC calculates everything

or

C. Am I spinning my wheels for nothing

Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”