Applicant FAQ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Applicant FAQ

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:40 am

205 entered as 1Ls. ~1130 were accepted

Bronze

Post by 4910 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:47 am

"its not you its me"

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:50 am

4910 wrote:"its not you its me"

g_gopinatz

New

Post by g_gopinatz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:51 am

Hang on, so out of the ~1130 who were accepted to Cornell, ~930 chose to go somewhere else? I know schools accept more people than they have room for, but six times that amount? Is that normal?

Sorry if I'm being ignorant.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:08 am

Cornell's matriculant/admit ratio is particularly low because Cornell doesn't abuse yield protection (waitlisting numerically overqualified applicants) or binding ED to increase its matriculant/admit ratio. They're apparently too slow to play the WL game.

But yeah, the top schools share a lot of cross-admits and lose a lot of them to each other.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:33 pm

tennisballs wrote:This might be a dumb question to some, haha but that's alright.

If I make my current address (at UG) different than my permanent address in my application will schools send materials to the current or the permanent?

For example, in Voluntary Personal Data, UPenn asks "Do we have your permission to provide this information" to school orgs and such who then may send more materials. If I click yes, I don't want that stuff sent to my house, I just want them sent to me at school... so that's my issue.

Any insight is very appreciated. Good luck to everyone starting their apps!
Current address is generally wherever you're receiving mail. Your permanent address is where the heart is.

DC_Sportsfan21

New

Post by DC_Sportsfan21 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:20 pm

do you need to put traffic violations when you were a minor? I got a reckless driving citation when I was 17 - what to do?

citygirl000

Bronze

Post by citygirl000 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:03 pm

DC_Sportsfan21 wrote:do you need to put traffic violations when you were a minor? I got a reckless driving citation when I was 17 - what to do?
From what I've read, it is based on the school where you are applying. Look at what each application says carefully. If unsure, put it down, it won't hurt you - no one really cares if you got a driving citation at age 17. That said, the school will care if you lied about it.

IamIn

Bronze

Post by IamIn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Application question. If one of my parents is deceased, do I still need to put any information about this parent (name and highest degree)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:39 pm

IamIn wrote:Application question. If one of my parents is deceased, do I still need to put any information about this parent (name and highest degree)?
I think so. Many schools allow you to select "deceased," but would want to know this information to see how many of their incoming 1Ls are the first in their families to go to college, first in their families to go to grad school, etc. Maybe double-check with the admissions offices?

JoseBautista

New

Post by JoseBautista » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:09 am

Hi Friends!

Do you guys think I have a shot at Georgetown Law? My family's telling me to not even bother applying but studying law at an institution like Georgetown has been my dream for as long as I can remember.

I have a 1.35 GPA and scored a 121 on my LSAT (I wasn't feeling well that day! My practice test scores were typically in the 124 range).

I hope to hear your honest input!

Thanks again guys!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:11 am

JoseBautista wrote:Hi Friends!

Do you guys think I have a shot at Georgetown Law? My family's telling me to not even bother applying but studying law at an institution like Georgetown has been my dream for as long as I can remember.

I have a 1.35 GPA and scored a 121 on my LSAT (I wasn't feeling well that day! My practice test scores were typically in the 124 range).

Thanks again guys!
:|

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:26 am

JoseBautista wrote:Hi Friends!

Thanks again guys!
Weak, bro.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:52 am

IamIn wrote:Application question. If one of my parents is deceased, do I still need to put any information about this parent (name and highest degree)?
i did for my apps, unless checking deceased was an option.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:53 am

DC_Sportsfan21 wrote:do you need to put traffic violations when you were a minor? I got a reckless driving citation when I was 17 - what to do?
some schools require it. i had a speeding ticket (which in the state i received it in is a misdemeanor) so i asked schools if I had to report it. some said yes, some said no, either way it didn't make a difference in the app.

tennisballs

New

Post by tennisballs » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:03 pm

Couple of questions that I think fit in this misc. category:

1) "List all employment including internships:" -does this actually mean what it says, like its okay to include high school jobs?

2) "Please list all of your outstanding educational loans:" -Should loans be listed even if your parents are covering them for undergrad?

3) Is it frowned upon to "decline to respond" on ethnicity? I am white but want them to focus on my diversity statement before they focus on my caucasian-ness, which is why I was considering declining.

4) If one semester's GPA is about .8 lower than all other semesters', is it worth it to put an addendum if there is reason? (sick parents). My GPA is still solid (could be .12 higher though) and I don't like making excuses.

Thank you and good luck to everyone who is applying!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:26 pm

tennisballs wrote:Couple of questions that I think fit in this misc. category:

1) "List all employment including internships:" -does this actually mean what it says, like its okay to include high school jobs?

2) "Please list all of your outstanding educational loans:" -Should loans be listed even if your parents are covering them for undergrad?

3) Is it frowned upon to "decline to respond" on ethnicity? I am white but want them to focus on my diversity statement before they focus on my caucasian-ness, which is why I was considering declining.

4) If one semester's GPA is about .8 lower than all other semesters', is it worth it to put an addendum if there is reason? (sick parents). My GPA is still solid (could be .12 higher though) and I don't like making excuses.

Thank you and good luck to everyone who is applying!
1. I'd leave off anything during high school, unless your job was something like an Olympic athlete.
2. Yes.
3. I don't really see the point here. If you're not checking the box, you'll probably be presumed white/caucasian. They're either going to read and appreciate your DS or they're not; I doubt checking a box will affect how they feel about it.
4. Absolutely. I had a good cumulative GPA [3.8] but a really low year of grades for a similar reason, and I wrote one. I'd rather send them something that might seem silly than have an adcomm think I was slacking for a year. I don't think it helped any, but it at least explained something that could have hurt.

tennisballs

New

Post by tennisballs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks everyone! One more...

I've very recently submitted a few applications. How do I find my login in order to view the respective school's status ticker?

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:42 pm

tennisballs wrote:Thanks everyone! One more...

I've very recently submitted a few applications. How do I find my login in order to view the respective school's status ticker?
The schools will email the status checker info to you.

thejrob

New

Post by thejrob » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:13 pm

Hey, I really don't know much about my applications yet and apologize if this question has been asked a bunch of time...

I just paid for the CAS service and have to add my college as an institution. When I opened up the form it asks for Majors, but says nothing about Minors. How should I list a Minor? There was an option for second majors, but that would obviously be a lie...

Thank you very much in advance

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tennisballs

New

Post by tennisballs » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:17 pm

No13baby wrote:

Okay great. Do you know how many days that usually takes? LSAC says my reports were sent yesterday.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:19 pm

tennisballs wrote:
No13baby wrote:

Okay great. Do you know how many days that usually takes? LSAC says my reports were sent yesterday.
Depends on the school.

S-IV

New

Post by S-IV » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:17 am

OP, thanks for the part on submitting LORs after the initial submission. The LSAC really doesn't make that clear.

mpelc005

New

Post by mpelc005 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Hey everyone!!

I'm about to send my law school applications and I seem to encounter some sort of technical problem on LSAC website. I'm sure it's just something stupid I need to do so it works, but I've been wandering around the website for 20 mins. and still can't figure it out so I figured the best to do was come here and ask around.

So all of my applications questionnaires are complete, my LORs and transcripts are received, I've paid for CAS, etc. Everything is fine. But when I want to go and pay for the application fees, I just can't click on the continue button.

(it looks like that: http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s38 ... acform.jpg)

How do I get to pay the fees and complete my application submission?

Thanks everyone, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”