Can someone explain the implications behind ED? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WeX11788

New

Can someone explain the implications behind ED?

Post by WeX11788 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:10 pm

ED = Early Decision I'm pretty sure.

I see everyone treating it as a big deal. I also saw someone post "did I waste my ED decision on _____". Is it a binding decision? Please excuse my ignorance.

trudat15

Silver

Re: Can someone explain the implications behind ED?

Post by trudat15 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:11 pm

WeX11788 wrote:ED = Early Decision I'm pretty sure.

I see everyone treating it as a big deal. I also saw someone post "did I waste my ED decision on _____". Is it a binding decision? Please excuse my ignorance.
Yes

WeX11788

New

Post by WeX11788 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:13 pm

Thanks. So you can only use one of these? I can't see how it could be otherwise, as that would make no sense.

How do you go about it? For example, say I wanted to do my ED to Duke. How would I go about that process?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:19 pm

WeX11788 wrote:Thanks. So you can only use one of these? I can't see how it could be otherwise, as that would make no sense.

How do you go about it? For example, say I wanted to do my ED to Duke. How would I go about that process?
There is an additional form to fill out when you apply and you will have to do it by a certain deadline (like in Nov or Dec) for most every school (UVA made itself the exception to this last year).

There are a few schools that have early decision that are not binding, but those are usually referred to as early application/action to try and lessen confusion (i.e. UT and Cornell are the first that come to mind).

WeX11788

New

Post by WeX11788 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:56 pm

I appreciate the info! Thanks a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:57 pm

WeX11788 wrote:I appreciate the info! Thanks a lot.
Additionally, because you are committed to a school, they have no incentive to offer you any money, so with some exceptions, you are committing to attend at sticker if admitted.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:14 pm

WeX11788 wrote:Thanks. So you can only use one of these? I can't see how it could be otherwise, as that would make no sense.

You may only ED to one school at a time. If Duke rejected you, and another school has an open deadline for ED, you may ED to that school. A few schools prohibit this (NU I think is one), but not many.

You check off the ED section on the application.

Be aware that you will likely sacrifice financial aid if you ED to a school that is a "reach" school.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Additionally, because you are committed to a school, they have no incentive to offer you any money, so with some exceptions, you are committing to attend at sticker if admitted.
I agree with with this for the most part, but schools do offer money to ED students. If they didn't, people with strong numbers relative to the school would stop going ED. With that said though, you do harm your chances at money by going ED.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:05 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
I agree with with this for the most part, but schools do offer money to ED students. If they didn't, people with strong numbers relative to the school would stop going ED. With that said though, you do harm your chances at money by going ED.
Definitely, and also there is at least one school (GW? not sure) that gives full ride scholarships I believe to those who are accepted ED? Don't quote me but someone can probably speak about this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:21 pm

Knockglock wrote:Definitely, and also there is at least one school (GW? not sure) that gives full ride scholarships I believe to those who are accepted ED? Don't quote me but someone can probably speak about this.

It's GWU. They only give like 25 or 30 acceptances though.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:27 pm

you can ed. if you ed a school, its either you go to the school, or dont go to law school that cycle ( and unless you have a really good reason you probably wont be admitted again). if you ED while applying to other schools and are accepted, you are required to inform all outstanding applications ( those that havent given you a decision yet) of your intent to go to the ED school.

What an ED is saying is that particular school is your top choice, and while it would be nice to get some money, you would rather attend that institution at full sticker than any other school out there, so only use it if you have absolutely no doubt in your mind thats where you want to be. ( if they ding you ED- then you can use it again, as long as the other ED school lets you.)

WeX11788

New

Post by WeX11788 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:58 pm

northwood wrote:you can ed. if you ed a school, its either you go to the school, or dont go to law school that cycle ( and unless you have a really good reason you probably wont be admitted again). if you ED while applying to other schools and are accepted, you are required to inform all outstanding applications ( those that havent given you a decision yet) of your intent to go to the ED school.
OK. So what you're saying is that it will typically be mandatory for me to attend the school of which I ED or else I'll have to take the cycle off from law school.

In regard to the second part, do I have to inform any or all prospective schools about my ED to a particular school even before I find out whether or not I was accepted? Or do I only have to do so once I find out that I got in?
northwood wrote:What an ED is saying is that particular school is your top choice, and while it would be nice to get some money, you would rather attend that institution at full sticker than any other school out there, so only use it if you have absolutely no doubt in your mind thats where you want to be. ( if they ding you ED- then you can use it again, as long as the other ED school lets you.)
Ding me = Reject me? OK, so if the ED school I applied to rejects me, I have to ask their permission to use my ED on a different school? WTF? What if I already applied to a school during the ED process to the first school, then find out I'm rejected from my original ED school, and then want to change my app on one of my schools to being an ED? Is that possible?

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:15 pm

WeX11788 wrote:do I have to inform any or all prospective schools about my ED to a particular school even before I find out whether or not I was accepted? Or do I only have to do so once I find out that I got in?
You have to withdraw your applications if you get accepted under a binding ED. You do not have to notify them prior to acceptance.
WeX11788 wrote:
northwood wrote:What an ED is saying is that particular school is your top choice, and while it would be nice to get some money, you would rather attend that institution at full sticker than any other school out there, so only use it if you have absolutely no doubt in your mind thats where you want to be. ( if they ding you ED- then you can use it again, as long as the other ED school lets you.)
Ding me = Reject me? OK, so if the ED school I applied to rejects me, I have to ask their permission to use my ED on a different school? WTF? What if I already applied to a school during the ED process to the first school, then find out I'm rejected from my original ED school, and then want to change my app on one of my schools to being an ED? Is that possible?
Most schools allow you to ED after you have been rejected/deferred. A few, Northwestern being one of them, has specific language in their ED agreement that precludes you from partaking in either a prior ED agreement (being dinged/waitlisted from your initial ED and hence released) or a subsequent ED agreement (being dinged from Northwestern and then attempting to initiate into a subsequent ED agreement). Read the language of the agreement and if you have any questions call up the school for clarification.

WeX11788

New

Post by WeX11788 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:57 pm

That was a big help. Thank you everyone for the info!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”