Resume question about GPA of graduating class v. your own

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Resume question about GPA of graduating class v. your own

Postby 2807 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Somewhere on here I read that our resume for law school should include the graduating class average gpa and then our own. For me, that makes me look good... But as I look at my resume it seems odd to have that on there.

Do you have it on your resumes?

Thanks

Re: Resume question about GPA of graduating class v. your own

Postby 4102011 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:34 pm

I'm not doing that, I don't even think my school randomly gives out that information. They do get the academic summary report which has some of that information, but I've never seen anything on any of the applications saying that they want that kind of stuff on your resume.

Postby 2807 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:49 pm

dulcatis wrote:I'm not doing that, I don't even think my school randomly gives out that information. They do get the academic summary report which has some of that information, but I've never seen anything on any of the applications saying that they want that kind of stuff on your resume.

Thanks. Glad I asked. I think I got that idea from a template/example on this site. But I may be wrong. I am going to delete it from mine.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:43 pm

Anna Ivey, I think recommends this in her book, she is the former admissions dean of Chicago I think (correct me if wrong). I am definitely doing it on my resume, but that is only because my school marks on an especially hard curve. I don't even have median graduating GPA because my school doesn't provide it. But I am putting the averaged course median of 2.6ish (in courses i took) to make my 3.8ish especially stand out. Apparently they like it when you provide context for numbers

Postby 2807 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:16 pm

Well, I did take a moment and track down the template I learned it from... And, it is from this site.

A median GPA of the graduates from your department would be more beneficial than the median of the entire school. Either way it makes me look good, but it feels funny putting it on a resume.

So, we have 1 yes, 1 no, and me in the middle.

Anyone else??

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:23 pm

2807 wrote:Well, I did take a moment and track down the template I learned it from... And, it is from this site.

A median GPA of the graduates from your department would be more beneficial than the median of the entire school. Either way it makes me look good, but it feels funny putting it on a resume.

So, we have 1 yes, 1 no, and me in the middle.

Anyone else??

The median GPA of your school is on your LSDAS report. If you want to highlight your GPA, ad the school wants to see how that stands up against the rest of the school, they can view it on your report. If your GPA is good, just simply list your GPA. If class rank is published, then list the rank too. Think of it this way, if your GPA is higher than the median GPA of the school's incoming class, you probably want to put it on there. If it is not, then you shouldn't list on your resume no matter how low the class average is. 3.6 out of a class of 2.0 is still bad if the law school's median GPA is 3.62. On the other hand, if your GPA is 3.75 out a class of 3.9, but it is still higher than the law school's median of 3.62, you put on your resume because it looks good. You don't need to put the GPA in context, they can figure it out, or you use class rank.
Last edited by r6_philly on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haydee

Postby haydee » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:24 pm

Including this will provide additional information that gives your GPA some flattering context and may help adcomms interpret your #s.

I think this potential benefit outweighs any risk that a few additional characters on your resume will ruin its aesthetic.

I vote you put it on there. It's relevant, useful, succinct (it's not like you have to write a whole addendum), and it makes you look good. If they don't care, they don't care, but I don't see how it can hurt you.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:30 pm

I mean, at the end of the day, they don't get to submit your GPA to USNews with a little asterisk that says "But his school graded really harshly!" I don't think it'll have really any impact. That said, it can't hurt, so if it doesn't look weird, go ahead.

Postby 2807 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:33 pm

haydee wrote:Including this will provide additional information that gives your GPA some flattering context and may help adcomms interpret your #s.

I think this potential benefit outweighs any risk that a few additional characters on your resume will ruin its aesthetic.

I vote you put it on there. It's relevant, useful, succinct (it's not like you have to write a whole addendum), and it makes you look good. If they don't care, they don't care, but I don't see how it can hurt you.

Thanks to both above posts. Lots of good info. Now I think I will put it back on there. My GPA helps me. I think I just get concerned with GPA on a resume in general. But, this is for school, not a job.

Thanks.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:09 pm

Just to respond to something a poster said above. The schools median GPA on the LSAC summary is not the school's median graduating GPA, but rather that of those who have registered for LSAC (meaning it is skewed towards the higher end) - people who know they can't get into law school because of their gpa don't register for LSAC. For foreign schools this would be even more noticeable because people generally don't want to live in the states so they can attend cooley. They aim for the T14 etc.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Saltqjibo wrote:Just to respond to something a poster said above. The schools median GPA on the LSAC summary is not the school's median graduating GPA, but rather that of those who have registered for LSAC (meaning it is skewed towards the higher end) - people who know they can't get into law school because of their gpa don't register for LSAC. For foreign schools this would be even more noticeable because people generally don't want to live in the states so they can attend cooley. They aim for the T14 etc.

Hmmm, so how should we describe that average GPA on our resume?

Also, my degree GPA is ~0.2 higher than my undergrad institution's average, but will be below median for most if not all of the law schools to which I'm applying (and below 25th percentile for a lot of them). Should I include it on my resume at all?

shoop

Postby shoop » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:45 pm

I have my class rank at graduation, as well as my final GPA. I am 100% positive that the mean and median GPAs were less than mine, but I don't know what they are and can't think how I'd go about obtaining those figures.

FWIW, I've never seen an LS resume with average class GPA.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”