YLS requires Dean's Certificate?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WestOfTheRest

Re: YLS requires Dean's Certificate?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Ok, so for those of you who care. I called Yale today and they said that we do need a dean's certificate. The decision to have one was made after they had updated their website and printed the viewbook. So we definitely need one. As for other questions, you'll have to call yourself.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:37 pm

CastleRock wrote:Ok, so for those of you who care. I called Yale today and they said that we do need a dean's certificate. The decision to have one was made after they had updated their website and printed the viewbook. So we definitely need one. As for other questions, you'll have to call yourself.

Thanks, I got mine sent from my degree institution today. The tough thing is to track down the right person and make sure he/she follows up on it. I don't know how many deans certification forms they send out at community colleges, but I will have to take a day off work and drive around to find out next week. Are they the only school that requires one from every school? I may as well get all of them done at once if I need to do it for another school.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:Are they the only school that requires one from every school? I may as well get all of them done at once if I need to do it for another school.

Yes. Stanford only requires one from your degree-granting UG, and the rest of the T14 does not unless you have an academic probation or disciplinary record.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:26 pm

I got an reply from them, I have to send in 4. So you have to send one from institution that you have ever attended unless you were classified "non-degree".

If this cuts down on the number of applications I am all for it. :lol:

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:I got an reply from them, I have to send in 4. So you have to send one from institution that you have ever attended unless you were classified "non-degree".

If this cuts down on the number of applications I am all for it. :lol:

Haha, amen. Of course, I think anyone with a real chance of getting in will probably go through the effort of getting the forms anyway. I suspect it will just cut down on the number of "what the heck, why not?" applications, and I can't imagine many of those folks ever get in.

s254w

Postby s254w » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:29 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before but can I sign, scan and email my form to my undergrad program?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:24 pm

s254w wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before but can I sign, scan and email my form to my undergrad program?

You need to call your academic records department and ask how they handle these requests.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:48 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
s254w wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before but can I sign, scan and email my form to my undergrad program?

You need to call your academic records department and ask how they handle these requests.

It's usually student affairs. I think you should contact them directly. I think sign and fax may be what's expected. I personally went to all 4 schools to make sure forms are sent promptly.

apparentlynew

Postby apparentlynew » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:50 pm

Has anyone asked their Dean of Students to send the certificate in advance of actually applying? I am concerned it has been sent to Yale and that they'll lose it or not have a file for me, since I have not paid the application fee or submitted any of the other necessaries to them yet.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:58 pm

apparentlynew wrote:Has anyone asked their Dean of Students to send the certificate in advance of actually applying? I am concerned it has been sent to Yale and that they'll lose it or not have a file for me, since I have not paid the application fee or submitted any of the other necessaries to them yet.

I did. I went around and got them all sent before I finalized my essays. They would have to match them anyway so...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”