My chances.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

My chances.

Postby mvosu123 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Hello all,
I am new here and I have a quick question. Please no condescending or smart *&( answers. Just be honest here. I scored a 167 on my LSAT in February. I have a terrible GPA (2.0) do I have a chance at Capital in Columbus, Ohio; Duquesne U, Ohio Northern or any other school in that realm.

Re: My chances.

Postby Claudius » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:31 pm

According to the Law School Predictor you have a great shot at those schools. You can also look at Law School Numbers to see if anyone like you has been admitted. I have numbers similar to yours and I was told at Akron and Cleveland that they would be hard pressed to turn away a great LSAT. If you've been out of school for a while and employed then that certainly helps. Good luck!

Postby turkeysub » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:10 am

yea, you're a pretty big splitter, and splitters tend to have unpredictable I would just apply to all the schools in regions you want to work and see what sticks. I'm sure one of those schools will take you with that LSAT, it just may not be easy to predict which one and your GPA may in some cases prevent you from receiving scholarship money.

Postby mst » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:27 am

I think you have a solid shot at all of those schools. If I had to guess you get into at least 2 or all 3 of them. That said, I would expand your applicant pool even a bit more. It's hard to say where you have a chance with a GPA/LSAT combo like that... it is very rare.

I don't know too much about the local schools up there so I can't say where else to apply, but I would just put an emphasis on cost to employment ratio... It's not true that you have to go to a top 50 law school to get a decent job... but schools such as those can easily lead to a lot of debt and very few avenues for repayment. Just please keep that in mind as you go about choosing schools to apply to, and one to attend. Sorry if that's something you already know (probably is), just something that has to be said.

Postby check23 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:07 pm

Seems like you'll need to explain to schools how you were both a) intelligent enough to score a 167 on the LSAT and b) only able to pull a 2.0 GPA. My thinking is you will absolutely have to explain this - if there were any extenuating circumstances (family issues, illness, etc.), it could open up your set of possible schools a decent bit. If you can't or don't explain it, people will only be taking your LSAT score. Personal statement and letters of recommendation FTW.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”