Should I apply as an African American Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hyr006

New

Should I apply as an African American

Post by hyr006 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:45 pm

I'm a weak candidate at best for most of the top ten law schools I would like to apply to, however my chances would increase considerably as an under represented minority applicant. My grandparents on my father's side were both moroccan before they moved to Israel where they gave birth to my father. My mother and her parents were born in the US. My complexion is more fair than it is dark. Just wanted to get some opinions on the subject. Also, what would the schools require in the form of proof. Both my grandparents are deceased so I'm curious to know if I would need to supply their birth certificates or something of the nature. I was told that if you are of 1/8th african decent you would qualify as an african american applicant. Is that true. Thx.

Hannibal

Gold

Re: Should I apply as an African American

Post by Hannibal » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:47 pm

North African = Caucasian. Probably won't get a URM boost.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:47 pm

Moroccan is not considered African American. It is in the category of caucasian (which includes people of north african descent). So no, you would not be considered African-American.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:51 pm

dakatz wrote:Moroccan is not considered African American. It is in the category of caucasian (which includes people of north african descent). So no, you would not be considered African-American.
on what basis do you make this assertion?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:54 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
dakatz wrote:Moroccan is not considered African American. It is in the category of caucasian (which includes people of north african descent). So no, you would not be considered African-American.
Those are the official listed categories for purposes of classification used by LSAC. They were obviously fed up with people from Egypt, Morocco, etc from claiming to be African American. Thus it specifically states in the description of the category that those of North African descent fall into the category of caucasian. Feel free to look up the categories and check.

Edit: The actual language for the "causaian" category is "a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa"

Whereas black is defined as "a person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa."

This distinction makes OP's case pretty easy to decide.
Last edited by dakatz on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:54 pm

I google-imaged "famous Moroccans" and lol'd.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:58 pm

dakatz wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
Those are the official listed categories for purposes of classification used by LSAC. They were obviously fed up with people from Egypt, Morocco, etc from claiming to be African American. Thus it specifically states in the description of the category that those of North African descent fall into the category of caucasian. Feel free to look up the categories and check.

Edit: The actual language for the "causaian" category is "a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa"

Whereas black is defined as "a person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa."

This distinction makes OP's case pretty easy to decide.
yep OP is def not AA. I just dislike when ppl make assertions w/o stating on what basis they are making the assertion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”