Anybody ED Penn, then to another school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mike12188

Silver

Anybody ED Penn, then to another school?

Post by Mike12188 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:09 pm

I was planning on ED'ing to Penn and IF waitlisted or rejected, changing my app to ED at UVA. Reading the Penn ED contract yesterday I noticed this...

"An Early Decision applicant to Penn Law may not apply to a binding Early
Decision program at another law school during the same admissions cycle."

So before I call UPenn admissions and see if I am no longer in contract with them if waitlisted, I just wanted to ask here to see if anyone had experience doing this.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Anybody ED Penn, then to another school?

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:16 pm

I believe they've told people in the past that language is just meant to indicate you can't go under another ED contract while you're under contract with them, meaning that once they reject or waitlist you then you're released from those terms. However, I'm not 100% positive (which I'm only saying to evade liability in the off chance I'm wrong).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:20 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I believe they've told people in the past that language is just meant to indicate you can't go under another ED contract while you're under contract with them, meaning that once they reject or waitlist you then you're released from those terms. However, I'm not 100% positive (which I'm only saying to evade liability in the off chance I'm wrong).
NYU had ambiguous wording as well and they said it was for at the same time, not later in the cycle. NU has similar wording and via email they seem to mean it as only 1 per cycle, but I never got around to calling them to confirm.

I would just go ahead and call them, you probably won't even need to identify yourself to them.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Do you plan to have a decision before the ED dates at other schools pass?

I'm not understanding how you could ED at Penn and then at another school in the same cycle...?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:31 pm

kk19131 wrote:Do you plan to have a decision before the ED dates at other schools pass?

I'm not understanding how you could ED at Penn and then at another school in the same cycle...?
This little play only really works if the second school is UVA, because they don't have an ED deadline (or at least they didn't last year, I assume its the same this year).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:33 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
kk19131 wrote:Do you plan to have a decision before the ED dates at other schools pass?

This little play only really works if the second school is UVA, because they don't have an ED deadline (or at least they didn't last year, I assume its the same this year).
GULC and Duke also have later ED deadlines (Dec for GULC, Jan for Duke's second round) and some schools (Michigan off the top of my head) render ED decisions starting in November.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks for the answers. I will def. call and make sure. I actually sent my ED form in already, and even with ED its still a reach for me, so I bugged a little when I went back to double check. I feel better now, but definitely plan on being 100% certain before I take action.

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:19 pm

im curious about this too-want to do the same thing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”