Any distortions when faxing LORs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kehoema2
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby kehoema2 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:27 am

Quick question. Any help is appreciated. I am going to have my recommenders fax the LORs because it seems that is much more efficient than mail. I was warned (by the people at LSAC) that faxed letters can be distorted which causes LSAC to mail them back to your recommender and wastes time.

Has anyone ever had this experience happen to them? Or has everyone had no problems when faxing them in?

Thanks for the input.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby kazu » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:36 am

I haven't heard of this happening to a TLSer yet. FWIW, faxing them is much, much faster than mailing them, so you could just have your prof fax it, and if it doesn't show up in a couple of days then snail mail it.

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby EricBerry » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:33 pm

FWIW, my final LOR was snail mailed last Friday and it was ready to go yesterday morning.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby JOThompson » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:47 pm

I've never heard of distortion being a problem on this site. The benefit of expediency is probably worth the tiny risk of an extra hassle.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:54 pm

I faxed the vast majority of my LORs. They were all processed within a day or two of being received.

kehoema2
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby kehoema2 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:58 pm

I figured there was little if any risk and despite this it would be worth the time saved. Thanks for the input.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby JJDancer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:45 pm

Both LORs faxed. Had no problem.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:58 pm

All of my faxed ones were posted same-day and totally fine.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby Hannibal » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:00 pm

FWIW, one of my writers mailed their LOR last friday and it was counted as received yesterday. So the horror stories aren't the typical probably.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Hannibal wrote:FWIW, one of my writers mailed their LOR last friday and it was counted as received yesterday. So the horror stories aren't the typical probably.


It's not but fax is just more reliable because you can get electronic confirmation that they got it.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:19 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
Hannibal wrote:FWIW, one of my writers mailed their LOR last friday and it was counted as received yesterday. So the horror stories aren't the typical probably.


It's not but fax is just more reliable because you can get electronic confirmation that they got it.


You can also pay 25cents for certified mail and receive confirmation that someone signed for it.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby im_blue » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:28 pm

Tiva wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
Hannibal wrote:FWIW, one of my writers mailed their LOR last friday and it was counted as received yesterday. So the horror stories aren't the typical probably.


It's not but fax is just more reliable because you can get electronic confirmation that they got it.


You can also pay 25cents for certified mail and receive confirmation that someone signed for it.

IIRC certified mail with electronic return receipt costs about $4 extra.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby kazu » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Tiva wrote:You can also pay 25cents for certified mail and receive confirmation that someone signed for it.

Does this work for a PO Box? I remember Fedex refusing to ship my LOR overnight due to the address.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby im_blue » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:06 pm

kazu wrote:
Tiva wrote:You can also pay 25cents for certified mail and receive confirmation that someone signed for it.

Does this work for a PO Box? I remember Fedex refusing to ship my LOR overnight due to the address.

FedEx and UPS can't deliver to PO Boxes, since those are owned by the USPS.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:47 am

kazu wrote:
Tiva wrote:You can also pay 25cents for certified mail and receive confirmation that someone signed for it.

Does this work for a PO Box? I remember Fedex refusing to ship my LOR overnight due to the address.


You have to use USPS, but the other poster is right. It is around $4. I sent one of my LOR's via Certified Mail and it was accepted/signed/processed rather quickly.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Any distortions when faxing LORs?

Postby mst » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:39 am

Seriously, if this is a concern, mail them. Reasons why:

1)Most people who are going out of their way to write letters for you would find it a million times easier to just stick it in a pre-prepared envelope and put it in a mailbox than have to figure out how to fax something. I'm a tech-geek and even I have trouble with it. How do you think old people feel? Also, this puts a lot of faith in the scanning ability of THEIR fax machine.

2)LSAC processes mailed letters within a day or two. Seriously. It's ridiculously fast. Just make sure your form is included with the letter.

Either way, I just feel faxing is stupid. It's annoying for you, for the people receiving it, for the people sending it. It messes up. Just mail it in a nice yellow envelope and be a happy guy/gal.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dannyswo and 9 guests