Name Dropping

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
elbergel

Name Dropping

Postby elbergel » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:27 am

I really want to get into law school X. I happen to be an alumnus of school X so that fact should come through on my resume and CV. My uncle happens to be a major donor to school X. How do I tell school X that I'm related to him with tact?

FlightoftheEarls

Re: Name Dropping

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:33 am

elbergel wrote:I really want to get into law school X. I happen to be an alumnus of school X so that fact should come through on my resume and CV. My uncle happens to be a major donor to school X. How do I tell school X that I'm related to him with tact?

You don't. If you want to be tactful (if there is such a thing when relying on your family's money to get you into a school), your uncle will make a phone call - if he's a big enough deal, they'll get the picture. While that may not be ideal, I can only imagine being the kid whose application says "Hey look at me! My uncle gave you tons of money! *wink wink!*" will make the admissions office despise you.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:01 am

Would it even be relevant if your uncle is not a major donor to LAW school X? Do they share funds?

elbergel

Postby elbergel » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:17 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote: I can only imagine being the kid whose application says "Hey look at me! My uncle gave you tons of money! *wink wink!*" will make the admissions office despise you.

This is where tact comes in.

As far as sharing funds that's a great question. I know my uncle's endowment is specific to a school within the University (not the law school) but I don't think that would preclude them taking that into consideration.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:31 pm

Reminds me of Mr. Burns meeting with Yale adcoms on The Simpsons:

Burns: I just remembered, it’s time for my annual donation. I wonder how much I should give.

Man from Yale: Well, frankly, test scores like Larry’s would call for a very generous contribution. For example, a score of 400 would require a donation of new football uniforms, 300, a new dormitory, and in Larry’s case, we would need an international airport.

Woman from Yale: Yale could use an international airport, Mr. Burns.

Burns: Are you mad? I'm not made of airports!

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Sorry if this steals your thread.. but I have a somewhat related question I guess dealing with name dropping.. but not related to granddaddy's money.. as granddaddy has no money to give :<

Butttt the college president of my undergrad college (was just appointed this year and welcomed back to his law school to speak and was honored, etc.) attended the law school I plan on ED'ing to. Would it be beneficial for my cause if he were to send a letter of support on my behalf separate from my application? Or would this seem arrogant and/or desperate?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:00 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:Sorry if this steals your thread.. but I have a somewhat related question I guess dealing with name dropping.. but not related to granddaddy's money.. as granddaddy has no money to give :<

Butttt the college president of my undergrad college (was just appointed this year and welcomed back to his law school to speak and was honored, etc.) attended the law school I plan on ED'ing to. Would it be beneficial for my cause if he were to send a letter of support on my behalf separate from my application? Or would this seem arrogant and/or desperate?

Unless you took a class from him and he can meaningfully comment on your academic ability, it probably won't help.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:34 pm

Arent there sections on these things about whether anyone in your family is an alumnus? If so...u could just write it in...enough said (even if its not a law school alumnus).

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:00 am

some law schools consider themselves seperate from the affiliated university. so it would depend on what school you are applying.
OP if your family member has the same last name as you, lives in the same area as you, then i would do/ say nothing, other than for the part where they ask " how did you hear of us on the applicaiton" write down family legacy. that would be enough for them to get an understanding of the connection, without being a douche about it.

As for the poster who is thinking about a lor from their president. I'd say, go get it, as long as you know it will be good. If you really want to pour it on, have the president write a letter specifically for you to go to that school ( it will carry farther than an average lor). If you want to use it for all apps, then make sure its decent and generic enough. Some schools, and admissions people may weigh letters from alumns more than others, but this is all hypotheical and a crapshot. anyways- go check it out, whats the worse that can hapen, they say no?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:35 am

If the money didn't go to the law school idk how much it could help. Best case scenario your uncle calls the dean of whatever department/school he donated to and then that dean calls the law school and you have a shot.

It also depends on the school. Yale, Harvard, and GULC, have around $1Billion+ endowments (significantly plus in Harvard's case) so they could care less. Other schools like Michigan have over $240 Million so it would take a pretty significant gift. I guess it depends who you uncle is though lol.

mst

Postby mst » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:47 am

Assuming it even mattered, you could just ignore it and live with the fact you got into the law school you personally deserved, like the other 99% of us who don't try to (or get the chance to) strong-arm admission committees based off the success of a relative... Honestly, if you're going to pull that card, great for you. But don't expect some level of respect from the rest of us. I'm surprised so many people in here were willing to offer their support when the only people who suffer from such support are hardworking, honest people like themselves...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”