I am convicted PLEASE HELP( need answers quick!).

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eastwind

I am convicted PLEASE HELP( need answers quick!).

Postby eastwind » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:22 am

Long story short. The public attorney offered me two options. Either accept:
1. misdemeanor in disturbing the peace

or

2. misdemeanor in trespassing.

Which do i pick when it comes to getting to law school, or applying for a job.

thesybarite

Re: I am convicted PLEASE HELP( need answers quick!).

Postby thesybarite » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:13 am

:( I have no real idea...but I think disturbing the peace sounds less menacing than trespassing...which quickly leads to thoughts of burglary/home invasion/Madeleine McCann. Not really, but I still prefer the peace one.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:32 am

i have no idea either. But, if you have a lawyer that you can talk to, I would ask him/her, even if he/she doesn't have specialized knowledge about law school ad comms. I would imagine that the plea that looks best in general to society will also look best to law schools.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:15 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:i have no idea either. But, if you have a lawyer that you can talk to, I would ask him/her, even if he/she doesn't have specialized knowledge about law school ad comms. I would imagine that the plea that looks best in general to society will also look best to law schools.

+1

My person thought would be disturbing the peace- it just sounds like you had a party or something. But definitly talk to a lawyer on which one sounds "worse"

By the way, my advice in no way constitutes any type of legal advice.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:20 am

You are going to have to disclose the event in full no matter which charge you end up accepting. While one may "sound" better then the other, in the end, they will be basing their opinion on the disclosed description more than the charge that it was eventually pled down to. Anyways, ask your lawyer for advice.

masochist

Postby masochist » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 am

eastwind wrote:Long story short. The public attorney offered me two options. Either accept:
1. misdemeanor in disturbing the peace

or

2. misdemeanor in trespassing.

Which do i pick when it comes to getting to law school, or applying for a job.

Whatever you pick it's a misdemeanor, and it does not involve moral turpitude. This will probably not be a huge deal unless you are applying this year. Even if you are applying this year, it can probably be explained away in an addendum if you also engage in some sort of documented remediation. I know plenty of people who have gotten into top-tier schools with far worse on their record. Don't freak out too much (but don't do it again either).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:15 pm

Are you willing to share the facts of the incident that led to being charged ? Otherwise, any advice offered is conjecture at best.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”