Disclosure question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Adjudicator

Disclosure question

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:35 am

Some applications phrase their question about criminal records very thoroughly, "Have you ever been arrested or charged for any violation...."

But what about when all it says is, "Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony?"

I was charged with something 4 years ago that was charged as an infraction instead of a misdemeanor. I was all prepared to disclose it, already wrote about it and everything, but then I see this question and I can't honestly say yes. So do I mention it? I don't want the bar association to get upset about it later. But the way the question is worded is pretty unambiguous and the answer is truly "No."

Adjudicator

Re: Disclosure question

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:43 am

Does anyone want to weigh in on this? Normally I advise people "When in doubt, disclose," but in this case, with the way the question is worded, it feels pretty cut and dry. An infraction is not a misdemeanor or a felony. Will the bar association wonder why I didn't disclose it anyway, even though the school, in this case, really didn't ask?

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:46 am

Just disclose it. If its minor, then it probably wont hurt you in any way shape or form.

Good luck!

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:28 pm

You can answer no to a misdemeanor or felony and still include an addendum explaining it. When I called Berkeley, that is what they recommended I do.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:32 pm

sarahhope82 wrote:You can answer no to a misdemeanor or felony and still include an addendum explaining it. When I called Berkeley, that is what they recommended I do.

Thanks... as much as I didn't want to have to include it, I probably should, shouldn't I.. :|

tootrue

Postby tootrue » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:34 pm

Just answer the actual question asked.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”