Addendum RE: Previous LSAT's

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
smoneill88

Addendum RE: Previous LSAT's

Postby smoneill88 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:28 pm

So this October will, unfortunately, be my third and last time taking the LSAT, but luckily there is a legitimate medical reason for my first test deeming a necessary cancellation and retake. I had a diagnosed condition that is pretty embarrassing but left it very uncomfortable to sit, and thus I was completely unfocused on my first LSAT attempt, Sept 09. I then was absent for my next scheduled LSAT due to the same problem (my second attempt was this past June, and thus Oct will be my 3rd). I would obviously like to write an addendum with regards to this problem to explain the cancellation and absence, and I have medical records that show the diagnosis and the prescribing of medication for said problem.

Question 1: Do you recommend this course of action?
Question 2: How would I include the medical info in the addendum if you recommend the course of action?
Question 3: How much will my 3 attempts with 2 scores (assuming there is a good spread of improvement b/t the two, expecting to go from a 163 to appx 169-171 based on preptests) affect my admissions process?

Thank you very much for the advice. Multiple responses are always appreciated.

lennonist

Re: Addendum RE: Previous LSAT's

Postby lennonist » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:31 pm

smoneill88 wrote:So this October will, unfortunately, be my third and last time taking the LSAT, but luckily there is a legitimate medical reason for my first test deeming a necessary cancellation and retake. I had a diagnosed condition that is pretty embarrassing but left it very uncomfortable to sit, and thus I was completely unfocused on my first LSAT attempt, Sept 09. I then was absent for my next scheduled LSAT due to the same problem (my second attempt was this past June, and thus Oct will be my 3rd). I would obviously like to write an addendum with regards to this problem to explain the cancellation and absence, and I have medical records that show the diagnosis and the prescribing of medication for said problem.

Question 1: Do you recommend this course of action?
Question 2: How would I include the medical info in the addendum if you recommend the course of action?
Question 3: How much will my 3 attempts with 2 scores (assuming there is a good spread of improvement b/t the two, expecting to go from a 163 to appx 169-171 based on preptests) affect my admissions process?

Thank you very much for the advice. Multiple responses are always appreciated.

absence does not constitute an LSAT attempt. you can have 2 cancellations, 1 absence, and still take a test this Oct.

If i were in your shoes, i wouldn't write the addendum. It's more applicable when there is a huge disparity in scores.

Postby 2014 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:34 pm

Medical reasons are good reasons to write an addendum. They will not require proof, but in it you should state that you have proof if they would like to see it. I doubt it will effect you much at all, they should take your higher score across the board with maybe the exception of one or two schools.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:45 pm

hemorrhoids?

LastChanceLA

Postby LastChanceLA » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:42 am

Personally, I think it depends on how you do on your LSAT; if you do well, the number will speak for itself.

On another note, keep in mind that some schools are highly selective and might not like the fact that its your 3rd shot. An addendum explaining the fact that it was due to a medical condition might help play a roll in the final decision.

Its a coin flip decision. Go with your heart!

md0624a

Postby md0624a » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:53 pm

I agree with not including an addendum IF you did cancel your first-attempt score. The only thing that the admissions officers will see will be the Oct. score. I believe that that's all that matters to them.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:19 am

From all the books I have read, include an addendum on this. Schools don't like to see a history of cancellations and absences without an explanation, otherwise they assume the worst (you suck at tests or your wishy-washy or uncommitted or an unprepared student). Absences are not good. This advice also assumes that your 1st cancel shows up on your report. If you are 100% sure it won't, then including an addendum is not entirely necessary but probably recommended.

Just make sure not to go too far in explaining it but give them a general idea (you don't want to be THAT guy with THAT gross problem), explain that this was verified by a physician, quickly mention that it has been corrected and will not present a problem for the foreseeable future/law school, and then end it by saying that you can present any necessary evidence or materials upon request.

Short. Simple. Not TMI.

I assure you that there is basically no chance this will hurt your application and a good chance that it will assuage the fears of any admission committee who could be concerned by an odd history of cancellation and retakes. If you are still concerned, contact the admission offices of certain schools you are applying to and ask if they would like an addendum.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”