LOR Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nailjohnj

Bronze

LOR Advice

Post by Nailjohnj » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:56 pm

So I am curious about which LORs I should be sending to law schools. I will have three LORs, two from professors that I had in college 2 years ago and 1 from my boss of the last 4 years. While I am certain that both of the LORs from my professors will be good, I think that they might be a little general since it has been 2 years since I was in their classes. My boss, on the other hand, is totally behind the LOR and actually asked me to write one. I know it will be over flowing with praise and talking about my other traits like leadership, taking initiative, working well with team members, etc. My PS is good, from what I gathered by folks on here, my LSAT is high and my GPA is low. I know that schools usually like to see academic recommendations, but should I send 1 academic + 1 work, all three, or just the two academic ones and hold the third just in case I need it for wait listing purposes?

Thanks

Pleasye

Platinum

Re: LOR Advice

Post by Pleasye » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:16 pm

Nailjohnj wrote:So I am curious about which LORs I should be sending to law schools. I will have three LORs, two from professors that I had in college 2 years ago and 1 from my boss of the last 4 years. While I am certain that both of the LORs from my professors will be good, I think that they might be a little general since it has been 2 years since I was in their classes. My boss, on the other hand, is totally behind the LOR and actually asked me to write one. I know it will be over flowing with praise and talking about my other traits like leadership, taking initiative, working well with team members, etc. My PS is good, from what I gathered by folks on here, my LSAT is high and my GPA is low. I know that schools usually like to see academic recommendations, but should I send 1 academic + 1 work, all three, or just the two academic ones and hold the third just in case I need it for wait listing purposes?

Thanks
Others may have a different opinion but I think that LOR's are requested in order to have the perspective of someone who has seen you in the classroom and seen your academic work. The purpose really isn't for people to talk about how great you are (this is a plus but it's not the purpose of the letter). Law schools want to know about your academic potential. If you're really not sure, 3 letters is not too many so send all three if you want. The characteristics that you listed that your boss will probably mention are also important and I'm sure it will be impressive. If you have numbers that may get you waitlisted at a school you'd like to go to then consider saving your bosses letter for that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”