sending another personal statement? what do you think?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
coffeetable

sending another personal statement? what do you think?

Postby coffeetable » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:32 pm

So Harvard requires only one personal statement. Since I am writing another one for specific scholarship which brings up another aspect of me, I think its a good idea to send this additional personal statement to other schools that do not require more than one statement.

What's your opinion on this?

This is the answer I got for Harvard when I asked them whether I can submit extra personal statement:

"All completed applications are reviewed holistically and all factors are fully taken into consideration. Applicants are welcome to submit additional addenda to support their application."

Should I do it if I think the other essay adds something new to my application?
or
Should i never do what's not asked?

Need your advice!

sarahh

Re: sending another personal statement? what do you think?

Postby sarahh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:38 pm

They say on the application that you can submit an additional diversity statement. Do you think this essay would qualify for that or can you turn it into a diversity statement? If yes, I would submit the extra essay. If not, I would just do one.

coffeetable

Postby coffeetable » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:33 pm

sarahhope82 wrote:They say on the application that you can submit an additional diversity statement. Do you think this essay would qualify for that or can you turn it into a diversity statement? If yes, I would submit the extra essay. If not, I would just do one.

Its not a diversity statement, but it talks about something very different about myself from what my main personal statement does. Do you think schools will be bothered to read a not-requested additional essay? or do you think its fine if it adds something new about me?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Considering that the application says

Limit your statement to two pages, typed, double-spaced, minimum 11 point font and 1-inch margins.

I would not add another personal statement that is not a diversity statement. You could talk about it in your JR1 if you get one.

For others schools, I would look carefully at the application. Some allow 4 pages or don't have a limit. (For these, I would try to do one longer personal statement instead of 2 shorter ones.) Some have supplement essays where maybe your second personal statement would be appropriate.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”