Dual Degrees

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tipler4213

Dual Degrees

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:18 pm

I know most of you will look down on this, but I am applying to dual degrees (JD and masters of some sort). These primarily include security studies, arab/middle eastern studies, and international relations, because I want to work in (GASP!) international law. Don't tell me it doesn't exist, I work for an organization heavily involved in it now. Yes, I know, it is a small niche. But that is beside the point...

For most dual/joint degrees, you have to apply to the programs seperately, gain admission to both, and then request to be permitted to pursue the joint degree. So, my question is, do you think it would help or hurt my chances specifically for the law school to mention my desire to have a joint degree in my personal statements? It enables me to more clearly explain what I want to do with my life, making me seem more driven, etc, but I don't want to seem like the law school is not my focus or be dismissed because they don't admit me thinking I won't get into the masters programs or something.

tipler4213

Re: Dual Degrees

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:39 pm

anyone got some knowledge to drop on the matter?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:40 pm

It won't really matter. If you want to write a "Why X School" essay for a school that has the joint program or a particularly good program, that would make some sense.

Most schools expect you to apply for the joint degree during your 1L or 2L year though. This also means that when you say you want to do it on your application, they don't really care because they know that most don't really know what it entails or don't follow through with it anyway.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:27 pm

tipler4213 wrote:anyone got some knowledge to drop on the matter?

I am actually doing something very similar...except in philosophy or bioethics. I wrote about it in my personal statement...why school x? Because they have a joint program that other schools dont offer that really interest me and fits into my intellectual interests.

It seems like a clear enough idea.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”