Admissions Consultant (Los Angeles)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LastChanceLA

Admissions Consultant (Los Angeles)

Postby LastChanceLA » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:52 am

Does anybody in here know an Admissions Consultant for hire that is qualified and doesn't charge an arm & a leg like some of the major companies?

Any and all information will be highly appreciated.

Danteshek

Re: Admissions Consultant (Los Angeles)

Postby Danteshek » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:50 am

Top-Law-Schools.com

It's free

LastChanceLA

Postby LastChanceLA » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:17 am

I have to agree. I have be reading the forum for a few months now and I have picked up a lot of good pointers. But I still prefer having a sit down Consultant to get things done from A to Z.

Nevertheless, thanks everyone!

lennonist

Postby lennonist » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:19 am

LastChanceLA wrote:I have to agree. I have be reading the forum for a few months now and I have picked up a lot of good pointers. But I still prefer having a sit down Consultant to get things done from A to Z.

Nevertheless, thanks everyone!

http://www.blueprintprep.com/applicatio ... ulting.php

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:29 am

i can c ur desperate LastChanceLA.......ok fine. i'll charge u half of the market rate, but only cuz ur a good kid and i love LA.

LastChanceLA

Postby LastChanceLA » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:55 am

fugitivejammer wrote:i can c ur desperate LastChanceLA.......ok fine. i'll charge u half of the market rate, but only cuz ur a good kid and i love LA.

Private Message me a resume and I'll consider you.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Please don't waste your money. Just do well on the lsat, get a good gpa. If your personal statement doesn't make you sound crazy and is grammatically correct, write about anything. If you've done something really cool, write about that. Law school admissions isn't like admissions for other graduate school programs. Really the only thing that matter is your GPA and LSAT, and as long as your recs and ps make you seem like a normal person, you're good to go...

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:10 pm

Which of the following can be properly inferred regarding the question of whether LSAT + GPA are the only two things that matter if the following is assumed:

That two variables weigh more heavily than all other variables in determining an outcome does not imply that they are the only two variables affecting the outcome.

A) Neither GPA nor LSAT matter
B) PS is most important
C) Only GPA + LSAT matter
D) All variables affecting acceptance are weighed equally
E) Atleast one other variable is considered besides GPA + LSAT in determining acceptance.
Last edited by Chris_cpb on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lennonist

Postby lennonist » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:11 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Please don't waste your money. Just do well on the lsat, get a good gpa. If your personal statement doesn't make you sound crazy and is grammatically correct, write about anything. If you've done something really cool, write about that. Law school admissions isn't like admissions for other graduate school programs. Really the only thing that matter is your GPA and LSAT, and as long as your recs and ps make you seem like a normal person, you're good to go...

i agree. largely, it is the gpa+lsat. however, it's scary how many people are terrible writers (and even if they are good, the topic they choose sucks, or they have no one to critique their work). As a result, they don't end up standing out in any way to the adcomm...and then we wonder on TLS how can someone with such high gpa & lsat get rejected from a T14 school.

bjc314

Postby bjc314 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:35 pm

LastChanceLA wrote:
fugitivejammer wrote:i can c ur desperate LastChanceLA.......ok fine. i'll charge u half of the market rate, but only cuz ur a good kid and i love LA.

Do you really want someone who spells like that advising you on how to get into law school?

LastChanceLA

Postby LastChanceLA » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:24 am

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess its best I put the idea off until I have taken my LSAT.

bjc314 wrote:
LastChanceLA wrote:

Do you really want someone who spells like that advising you on how to get into law school?

If you couldn't tell. I was being sarcastic :lol:

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:07 am

Ann Levine is in the LA area. But she helps people nationally.

People discourage the use of Admissions Consultants, but I think it is an individual decision. If your situation is unusually complex or if you are having a hard time finding a focus/theme for you application and personal statement, then I think an Admissions Consultant can be worth the expense.

BUT make sure you use an ethical and qualified consultant. You should be writing your statements in your voice - the consultant provides editing and guidance, but should not be doing the work. Also a lot of the larger services use students as consultants. That seems silly to me. You want a consultant who has had a high level position in a admissions office and knows what law school admissions offices are concerned about and what they are not.

So a good consultant might not be cheap, but can be worth it - a bad consultant is worse than no consultant in my opinion.

LastChanceLA

Postby LastChanceLA » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:52 am

uci2013 Thank you for the input.

I agree that a "bad consultant is worse than no consultant" and that a good consultant can be worth it. But shelling out a couple of thousand dollars for assistance seems to be a bit steep.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want anything for free, but in this economy I think prices should be fair.

In addition, generally speaking, I believe a strong consultant is one who provides services on the "side" because they love to help students. When consultants are providing assistance because it is a means of getting food on the table, at least for me, things become a bit sketchy as it is a business, not a passion.

One more thing I would like to add based on my experience. The majority of consultants on CL are crap. If you care to find out why, you can PM me. = )

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:40 am

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:27 am

YCrevolution wrote:
LastChanceLA wrote:uci2013 Thank you for the input.

I agree that a "bad consultant is worse than no consultant" and that a good consultant can be worth it. But shelling out a couple of thousand dollars for assistance seems to be a bit steep.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want anything for free, but in this economy I think prices should be fair.

In addition, generally speaking, I believe a strong consultant is one who provides services on the "side" because they love to help students. When consultants are providing assistance because it is a means of getting food on the table, at least for me, things become a bit sketchy as it is a business, not a passion.

One more thing I would like to add based on my experience. The majority of consultants on CL are crap. If you care to find out why, you can PM me. = )

Unfortunately, all of the good consultants are going to charge four digits unless you only need a couple of hours of their time (which presumably, you'll need more of that). The only time I'm willing to go below four digits is if it's raising donation money for public interest/non-profit work.

Or possibly for a consultant just starting out. You might get a good deal then because they are building their reputation as a consultant. But the way I looked at it last year was that the consultant cost was less than 2% of just the tuition I would be paying for three years, so I decided it was worth it. If you want to know who I used PM me and I will let you know. I will also give you my honest opinion of the service. I don't regret the money spent.

What is unfortunate is that a lot of students simply can't afford to pay the fee even if they have a very unusual and complicated application. In fact I would venture to guess that those with more complicated circumstances requiring a lot of addenda and the like are less likely to be able to afford the service than someone with a more traditional background.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”