(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:06 pm

Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JJDancer

Re: Quick Resume Question

Postby JJDancer » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:20 pm

General rule = no high school stuff. Certain awards/accomplishments are exceptions.
If it's a big volunteer project or job u started in high school but continued (even until the summer after hs) then you can probably mention it.

Otherwise, try to keep it to college.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Shawh wrote:I know you're not supposed to put high school 'stuff' on your resume. Does that include jobs I had and volunteer work I did during high school?

Thanks!

If it fits on one page I don't see the harm. If you have to go over one page to include it, I probably wouldn't but that's just personal preference. I think if you've continually held down a job since high school you should include the work.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:31 pm

Shawh wrote:^ For the most part it was just a job here and a volunteer opportunity there. I've never been a big extra curricular person. If I cut the high school positions (volunteer with National Beta Club and Website Designer for a local Youth Symphony), then I'm left with a Research Assistant position last year and an ongoing volunteer position at a hospital. People on here are pretty adamant that extra curricular activities are not important to almost all law schools (aside from maybe YS), so I'm guessing that even though mine is sparse, it shouldn't matter as long as I continue to get good grades and score high on the LSAT?

I think those two softs are good enough in themselves. It seems that law schools generally don't care much about these things unless they're not there. Considering your situation, I would leave off anything you did in high school.

If your numbers are right for the schools you're applying to, these factors won't matter much anyway.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:44 pm

Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Shawh wrote:^ Okay great. I have a few other things I can add as well, i.e. reading proficiency in French and Ham radio operator since 2001. It's not a lot, but it almost fills up a whole page.

Ham radio! I like that. Good luck with everything! :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”