New York University Merit Based Fee Waiver

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
perspective

New York University Merit Based Fee Waiver

Postby perspective » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:49 pm

On the main thread discussing fee waivers, people have received fee waivers.

My question: How is that possible? I called them today and was told they do not grant merit based fee waivers. Were the others need based or did I misinterpert what they said?

Thanks.

Excellence = a Habit

Re: New York University Merit Based Fee Waiver

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:03 pm

Hmmm, all I know is that I got a letter from them last year (right after I got my LSAT score containing a fee waiver, with reference to the score (and no reference to my need, which I don't think they would have any information about anyway). But I've been calling a lot of schools recently about fee waivers (to see if I can get the ones I was offered last year renewed for this year) and I'm getting a lot of mixed/seemingly contradictory answers. So perhaps this is a subject about which they try to give you the run-around if you call them to ask about it, or maybe they're just a little frazzled from the beginning of the admissions season?

archie&veronica

Postby archie&veronica » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:05 pm

It means they don't grant merit-based fee waivers by request.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:06 pm

Their response to me (3.49/173 btw)

"Thank you for your email. NYU Law does not offer fee waivers. Applicants who have received a fee waiver from LSAC are eligible for a fee waiver from our application fee. Those who have received a LSAC fee waiver will automatically receive an application fee wavier from NYU if they apply electronically. If you decide to mail in your application, please include the LSAC fee waiver.

Thank you for your interest in NYU School of Law.

Sincerely,
Office of Admissions
NYU School of Law"

perspective

Postby perspective » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:09 pm

It seems very odd that they wouldn't blanket eligible students. The more people that apply the more selective they can be...

I will call them again tomorrow and shoot them an email. Post any luck you have getting them to give out those fee waivers.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:20 pm

I got a fee waiver from them via mail. So they probably meant they only offer them unsolicited.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:47 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”