Judicial clerkships – which ones matter? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Zeile

Bronze

Judicial clerkships – which ones matter?

Post by Zeile » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:11 pm

I ask this, because certain “highly ranked” schools seem to place a small amount of their students into BigLaw compared to their peers (UMN and UDub are two examples), but they seem to place a lot of students into clerkships. Obviously, the federal gigs are golden, but what about state ones? Are these a great resume builder that will land one a sweet gig when the clerkship is up? Also, is there anyway/anywhere to find how a school’s clerkship placement breaks down?

nealric

Re: Judicial clerkships – which ones matter?

Post by nealric » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:16 pm

Obviously, the federal gigs are golden, but what about state ones?
Not golden. Won't be career suicide, but biglaw doesn't generally target state clerks. State supreme courts are still generally considered as lower than district courts.

Zeile

Bronze

Post by Zeile » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:19 pm

So what kind of jobs/firms will one be looking at if they do a state gig?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:20 pm

Zeile wrote:So what kind of jobs/firms will one be looking at if they do a state gig?
Depending on where you are trying to work, probably not big firms unless you had the grades already. Mid-size to small firms.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Zeile wrote:So what kind of jobs/firms will one be looking at if they do a state gig?
I dunno, I understood state Sup. Ct. clerkships to be roughly equivalent to Fed. Dist. Ct.

I think that's true at least if you're seeking private work in the same state. So, AZ supreme ct. clerking won't probably help you land a good firm job in Chicago, but I think IL supreme court would be useful to that end.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:37 pm

poprox wrote:
I dunno, I understood state Sup. Ct. clerkships to be roughly equivalent to Fed. Dist. Ct.

I think that's true at least if you're seeking private work in the same state. So, AZ supreme ct. clerking won't probably help you land a good firm job in Chicago, but I think IL supreme court would be useful to that end.
Naw, District is very very much better, but your second point, that State Supreme is a great idea if you want to work in the state, is also credited.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”