Question Regarding October and December Test Takers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Question Regarding October and December Test Takers

Postby drmguy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:19 pm

If I send out my applications upon receiving my score on November 1st, noting that I will be taking the test again in December, will schools send acceptances based on the October LSAT if that test met their threshold or will they wait for the second result? Would this depend on if the school averages the LSAT scores?

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Question Regarding October and December Test Takers

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:21 pm

drmguy wrote:If I send out my applications upon receiving my score on November 1st, noting that I will be taking the test again in December, will schools send acceptances based on the October LSAT if that test met their threshold or will they wait for the second result? Would this depend on if the school averages the LSAT scores?


They usually say they won't even look at your app if they know a second score is coming in later.

User avatar
lzyovrachievr
Posts: 1695
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

Re: Question Regarding October and December Test Takers

Postby lzyovrachievr » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:40 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
drmguy wrote:If I send out my applications upon receiving my score on November 1st, noting that I will be taking the test again in December, will schools send acceptances based on the October LSAT if that test met their threshold or will they wait for the second result? Would this depend on if the school averages the LSAT scores?


They usually say they won't even look at your app if they know a second score is coming in later.


I said this in another thread, but I'll repeat: unless you tell them specifically to consider your application complete without the December score.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Question Regarding October and December Test Takers

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:45 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
drmguy wrote:If I send out my applications upon receiving my score on November 1st, noting that I will be taking the test again in December, will schools send acceptances based on the October LSAT if that test met their threshold or will they wait for the second result? Would this depend on if the school averages the LSAT scores?


They usually say they won't even look at your app if they know a second score is coming in later.


I said this in another thread, but I'll repeat: unless you tell them specifically to consider your application complete without the December score.


Added that nuance to the FAQ. 8)

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: Question Regarding October and December Test Takers

Postby drmguy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:03 pm

Then would it be a safer bet to have target and safety schools using the earlier score and have reaches wait for the December score? This is presuming that there would be early application advantage lost by having safety and target schools wait for the December score.

salvage
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Question Regarding October and December Test Takers

Postby salvage » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:06 pm

I'm actually struggling with the same decision as the above post. Should I submit my app with a current LSAT score at or above median to safety schools without an addendum, and submit applications to reaches with an addendum to wait on my December score?

User avatar
lzyovrachievr
Posts: 1695
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

Re: Question Regarding October and December Test Takers

Postby lzyovrachievr » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:16 pm

drmguy wrote:Then would it be a safer bet to have target and safety schools using the earlier score and have reaches wait for the December score? This is presuming that there would be early application advantage lost by having safety and target schools wait for the December score.


salvage wrote:I'm actually struggling with the same decision as the above post. Should I submit my app with a current LSAT score at or above median to safety schools without an addendum, and submit applications to reaches with an addendum to wait on my December score?


I can't necessarily say what you should do. But in my case, I went ahead and applied to places where I was at median, figuring if I score higher later, then that could help with scholarship monies. (And I noted that I want them to consider the score as is. I wouldn't do an addendum. Just e-mail the Admissions office and let them know.) And I left another group of schools that were reaches to apply for when my new score comes in November.

However, I am planning on sending in that second round of apps soon, knowing that it will take them a while to get through the decisions. They probably won't get to my application until after November 1st anyway, but it doesn't hurt to hold my place in line. (In that case, you might want to make a note for them to wait for your new score, if they don't specifically state already that they will in their policy.)

Note: If your new LSAT will be significantly higher (possibly), some schools want you to explain that. If you've already sent in your application without that new score, then you can't attach an addendum explaining the new score. If you explain it before hand, you could look arrogant or pretty funny, depending on your score. You may be able to send in an addendum after you receive your score to the Admissions Office for them to add to your file.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 5 guests