What do I do to improve my resume between now and 09/2011?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EasternSeaboard

What do I do to improve my resume between now and 09/2011?

Postby EasternSeaboard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:16 am

I delayed applying ... didn't like my June LSAT score, already have 3 LORs on file with LSDAS...

Gaps in employment since graduation 2008 due to recession, and just now (3 months in) started job related to degree/previous internship experience.

Is simply working from summer 2010 to summer 2011 going to be enough of a (CURRENT) "softs" boost before applying fall 2011? What else do i need to do in that time to stand out? I have a family, not possible to drop everything and join peace corps etc. lol. I have accomplishments from the past like 2 published articles...but not current.

I am delaying to pay for a prep course and retake. Saving up for the course...

Knock

Re: What do I do to improve my resume between now and 09/2011?

Postby Knock » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:19 am

EasternSeaboard wrote:I delayed applying ... didn't like my June LSAT score, already have 3 LORs on file with LSDAS...

Gaps in employment since graduation 2008 due to recession, and just now (3 months in) started job related to degree/previous internship experience.

Is simply working from summer 2010 to summer 2011 going to be enough of a (CURRENT) "softs" boost before applying fall 2011? What else do i need to do in that time to stand out? I have a family, not possible to drop everything and join peace corps etc. lol. I have accomplishments from the past like 2 published articles...but not current.

There isn't really too much more you can do. Maybe take up a volunteer position in your free time or get involved with a philanthropic group. It won't make a big difference though, your LSAT will be much more important in terms of your cycle. I wouldn't take up any resume padding activities that would conceivably cut into your LSAT studying time.

Softs really aren't that important and don't make a huge difference in your cycle, especially if you're not applying to the top ranked schools. What schools are you aiming for?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:26 am

You can volunteer for a good cause. The time commitment for volunteers are usually not as great as paying jobs. Search around and find a couple of things to do. I am now involved in 3 organizations even though I go to school and work full time. A few hours per week, well worth it, and doing some good too.

EasternSeaboard

Postby EasternSeaboard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:18 pm

Knockglock wrote:
EasternSeaboard wrote:I delayed applying ... didn't like my June LSAT score, already have 3 LORs on file with LSDAS...

There isn't really too much more you can do. Maybe take up a volunteer position in your free time or get involved with a philanthropic group. It won't make a big difference though, your LSAT will be much more important in terms of your cycle. I wouldn't take up any resume padding activities that would conceivably cut into your LSAT studying time.

Softs really aren't that important and don't make a huge difference in your cycle, especially if you're not applying to the top ranked schools. What schools are you aiming for?

Depends on my score. Open to top schools if i make a top school score. Atlanta metro or Miami or Fort Lauderdale metro schools otherwise. Top school score would guarantee a full ride at the rest, but would I be able to turn down a top school I really wished to be in? sigh. I know for sure I am not paying for anything outside the top schools. That's why I'm sitting out the cycle. Want schol money.

EasternSeaboard

Postby EasternSeaboard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:You can volunteer for a good cause. The time commitment for volunteers are usually not as great as paying jobs. Search around and find a couple of things to do. I am now involved in 3 organizations even though I go to school and work full time. A few hours per week, well worth it, and doing some good too.

Hm you're right. What can i volunteer for during my lunch hour?

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:22 pm

EasternSeaboard wrote:
r6_philly wrote:You can volunteer for a good cause. The time commitment for volunteers are usually not as great as paying jobs. Search around and find a couple of things to do. I am now involved in 3 organizations even though I go to school and work full time. A few hours per week, well worth it, and doing some good too.

Your local animal shelter or humane society?

EasternSeaboard

Postby EasternSeaboard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:36 pm

Knockglock wrote:
EasternSeaboard wrote:

Your local animal shelter or humane society?

I am not good with strange animals...anything else that works on lunchtime during weekdays? I'll look some up when i get home too.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:48 pm

1. Softs don't matter.

2. Anything you do between now and 09/11 would be seen on its face as trying to acquire a soft, and softs don't matter.

Have fun. Make money.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:08 pm

EasternSeaboard wrote:

Depends on what you can offer or what you do professionally. I help do web editing and social media postings because that's what I do. You don't actually have to be on site doing something hands-on to be volunteering for an organization, you can help with administrative, marketing, service tasks. Basically, when you perform in some capacity for free for a organization, you are volunteering... so there are many possibilities.

go to http://www.idealist.org and see if you can find something/someone who can use your talents!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:12 pm

TTH wrote:1. Softs don't matter.

2. Anything you do between now and 09/11 would be seen on its face as trying to acquire a soft, and softs don't matter.

Have fun. Make money.

He can/may have fun doing whatever to gain soft.
He apparently makes money because he says "lunch break" since he already has a job.

So someone wants to contribute a little to society for whatever reason and you feel the need to tell him not to? Even though both things you said are already being satisfied? If people wants to figure out why the world is such an ugly place sometimes...

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:18 pm

You can look into something on the weekends too. Maybe volunteering at a local homeless shelter or soup kitchen on sat/sun mornin. Doin somethin on ur lunch break might b kinda a hassle and not sure how long ur breaks normally r.

EasternSeaboard

Postby EasternSeaboard » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:09 am

fugitivejammer wrote:You can look into something on the weekends too. Maybe volunteering at a local homeless shelter or soup kitchen on sat/sun mornin. Doin somethin on ur lunch break might b kinda a hassle and not sure how long ur breaks normally r.

My breaks are flexible long as I make up the time...30 mins, 1 hr...something from my desk like admin work like r6_philly suggested would fit neatly inside my lunch break...maybe helping a school or something?

Weekends not an option. Family time already at a premium as it is.

EasternSeaboard

Postby EasternSeaboard » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:10 am

TTH wrote:1. Softs don't matter.

Have fun. Make money.

lol I do have a little vacation planned next year cause I've forgotten what fun is lol.

And yes, making money for sure...to send it all to the bills/debts from when i was unemployed. But that's broke "for a good cause" right?

EasternSeaboard

Postby EasternSeaboard » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:13 am

r6_philly wrote:
EasternSeaboard wrote:

Depends on what you can offer or what you do professionally. I help do web editing and social media postings because that's what I do. You don't actually have to be on site doing something hands-on to be volunteering for an organization, you can help with administrative, marketing, service tasks. Basically, when you perform in some capacity for free for a organization, you are volunteering... so there are many possibilities.

go to http://www.idealist.org and see if you can find something/someone who can use your talents!

great thanks!

(i'm female)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”