UC Hastings -- anyone knowledgeable out there

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rory1987

UC Hastings -- anyone knowledgeable out there

Postby Rory1987 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:40 am

about the school? What can you tell me? How are job prospects nowadays? Salary info? Atmosphere? Student body? Is it worth attending ITE? How is its rep in NorCal?

mnolen

Re: UC Hastings -- anyone knowledgeable out there

Postby mnolen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:06 am

It's kewl.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:56 am

It's in the crappiest part of SF, which is roughly equivalent to some of the best spots in NY. Its placement is pretty decent in SF, better than UOP, Santa Clara, USF, and roughly equal to Davis. That said, the SF legal market is a bit saturated.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:04 am

Hannibal wrote:It's in the crappiest part of SF, which is roughly equivalent to some of the best spots in NY. Its placement is pretty decent in SF, better than UOP, Santa Clara, USF, and roughly equal to Davis. That said, the SF legal market is a bit saturated.

Hannibal, would you say that the LA market is just as saturated or even worse than SF? Reason I ask is because I will more than likely be getting into Loyola and Hastings and deciding which one to go to is going to be a tough call. The most important thing to me between those two schools would be job prospects.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:29 am

WonkyPanda wrote:
Hannibal wrote:It's in the crappiest part of SF, which is roughly equivalent to some of the best spots in NY. Its placement is pretty decent in SF, better than UOP, Santa Clara, USF, and roughly equal to Davis. That said, the SF legal market is a bit saturated.

Hannibal, would you say that the LA market is just as saturated or even worse than SF? Reason I ask is because I will more than likely be getting into Loyola and Hastings and deciding which one to go to is going to be a tough call. The most important thing to me between those two schools would be job prospects.

If my memory serves correct I think the LA legal market is bigger, but I could be wrong.

Honestly I would pick whether you want to be in NorCal or SoCal, though I think UCH definitely has the edge reputation-wise.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:06 am

bk1 wrote:Honestly I would pick whether you want to be in NorCal or SoCal, though I think UCH definitely has the edge reputation-wise.

Hastings does have a reputation edge but I am not sure how much that helps once you've struck out at OCI (guess I'm about to find out). I think Loyola becomes the more desirable choice once their scholarship offer eclipses 70k or so.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:46 am

I think Loyola might be more desirable regardless since they Hastings' pull gets weaker in LA, and Loyola has a huge alumni network.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Hannibal wrote:I think Loyola might be more desirable regardless since they Hastings' pull gets weaker in LA, and Loyola has a huge alumni network.

right, and all the OCI threads concur that SF/Silicon Valley is currently the toughest market. I know only a few people with callbacks, and only one person with an offer and it's IP in DC

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:41 pm

Hannibal wrote:I think Loyola might be more desirable regardless since they Hastings' pull gets weaker in LA, and Loyola has a huge alumni network.

I wonder how much that has helped the half of the 2009 class that graduated without jobs.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:44 pm

bk1 wrote:

I wonder how much that has helped the half of the 2009 class that graduated without jobs.

Hastings numbers arent out yet, but probably not much better

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:36 pm

General Tso wrote:

right, and all the OCI threads concur that SF/Silicon Valley is currently the toughest market. I know only a few people with callbacks, and only one person with an offer and it's IP in DC

WOW :shock:

It's really that bad at Hastings? And why is NorCal so tough right now? I thought it weathered the economic disaster better than most areas of the country?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:16 pm

Rory1987 wrote:
General Tso wrote:

WOW :shock:

It's really that bad at Hastings? And why is NorCal so tough right now? I thought it weathered the economic disaster better than most areas of the country?

Well, TBF I don't really know anybody in the top 10-15%. I suspect many of them are getting offers. Most of the people I know were in the 15-33% range like myself. SF is just crazy competitive, check out the various T14 OCI threads here on TLS. You will see a significant number of T14 students applying for norcal positions (and even some top 1/3 T14 students are being shut out of this market!)

I am not bitter...I have no problem entering small firm practice. Many small time lawyers are shoddy practitioners and ineffective businesspeople. I think I can succeed in that environment.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”