3.0/170 What next?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
beachbum

Re: 3.0/170 What next?

Postby beachbum » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:51 am

rad law wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:And also, even though other posters feel confident that you will get into UVA ED, consider that while you are their median LSAT, you are well below their 25th percentile GPA (which is about 3.5, with 3.7 being the median). I'm not sure how they're figuring that that isn't a waste of an ED.

People with OP's numbers last year were getting in ED, and the medians aren't unchanged. UVA loves to whore itself out for ED splitter and reverse splitters, keeping the median where it is.

Also it's not a waste because you hear back in 15 days, and then can apply somewhere else ED, with some exceptions (ie Northwestern).

+1. And if you check the UVA Class of '14 thread, you'll see that the school's admissions practices are pretty constant from year-to-year. Thus far, anyone with 170+ 3.0+ has been accepted ED, and anyone with a 169 and below (and GPA below median) has been waitlisted. It's incredibly formulaic: get a 170+, send an ED app, and enjoy your three years in Virginia.

OP: Enjoy your three years in Virginia.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:09 pm

beachbum wrote:
rad law wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:And also, even though other posters feel confident that you will get into UVA ED, consider that while you are their median LSAT, you are well below their 25th percentile GPA (which is about 3.5, with 3.7 being the median). I'm not sure how they're figuring that that isn't a waste of an ED.

People with OP's numbers last year were getting in ED, and the medians aren't unchanged. UVA loves to whore itself out for ED splitter and reverse splitters, keeping the median where it is.

Also it's not a waste because you hear back in 15 days, and then can apply somewhere else ED, with some exceptions (ie Northwestern).

+1. And if you check the UVA Class of '14 thread, you'll see that the school's admissions practices are pretty constant from year-to-year. Thus far, anyone with 170+ 3.0+ has been accepted ED, and anyone with a 169 and below (and GPA below median) has been waitlisted. It's incredibly formulaic: get a 170+, send an ED app, and enjoy your three years in Virginia.

OP: Enjoy your three years in Virginia.

Good points. I think your upward GPA trend will be a factor in your favor as well, so they won't consider you just a 3.0. Even if they did, it doesn't necessarily preclude you. However, I still don't agree that it's a given as others suggest.

The real point here is that timing is critical. You need to submit ED to UVA like, ASAP bro. Cos if it doesn't work out, your next best shot is GULC PT. But you should get your GULC PT ED app in before Nov 1, preferably before Oct 15. Because they will get flooded with applications from October LSAT takers in late October.

The only reason I think a real sense of urgency is needed is because, these are your only two shots at getting into T14 realistically, unless you have good work experience (your softs are average for T14). It would suck to not get into the program that your numbers merit because you don't take advantage of the benefit of applying early, so don't piss away the only two shots you got, unless you want to wait until next year. That is, of course, if you have a desire for T14. Don't expect any financial aid. Consider the schools I listed in my first reply if you want good financial aid offers. Gotta make up your mind quick!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:22 pm

robotclubmember wrote:I think your upward GPA trend will be a factor in your favor as well, so they won't consider you just a 3.0.

Upward trends are a weak soft at best. I don't think it's really gonna help.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:24 pm

UVA ED is the best t14 shot OP has.

Then GULC PT

Then OP should enjoy Minnesota.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Then OP should enjoy Minnesota.

or WUSTL

jah7va

Postby jah7va » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:40 pm

On a side note: How accurate would you all say LSPredictor is? After running my numbers through, I'm getting contradictory results to what I've read here so far. With an ED at UVA it's giving me a "Deny (17%)," and going further down the list with an ED at Minnesota I'm at a "Consider (42%)." I doubt I'll actually ED at Minnesota, but I was just trying to get a feel for things.

What is the hive mind's feelings toward LSPredictor?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:31 pm

jah7va wrote:On a side note: How accurate would you all say LSPredictor is? After running my numbers through, I'm getting contradictory results to what I've read here so far. With an ED at UVA it's giving me a "Deny (17%)," and going further down the list with an ED at Minnesota I'm at a "Consider (42%)." I doubt I'll actually ED at Minnesota, but I was just trying to get a feel for things.

It doesn't work so well for splitters.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jah7va wrote:On a side note: How accurate would you all say LSPredictor is? After running my numbers through, I'm getting contradictory results to what I've read here so far. With an ED at UVA it's giving me a "Deny (17%)," and going further down the list with an ED at Minnesota I'm at a "Consider (42%)." I doubt I'll actually ED at Minnesota, but I was just trying to get a feel for things.

Yeah it's very pessimistic for extreme splitters.

OP, the takeaway here is: 1) UVA and 2) ED. I mean, if you were looking at Richmond this should be an easy call.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:35 pm

Yeah, do the UVA ED. Yeah, it's gonna suck paying sticker, but that's what a 3.0 gets ya.

forward

Postby forward » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:40 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Your financial situation should also be considered. For possible merit scholarship money, apply to Iowa, Indiana, Arizona State & Washington & Lee.

Minnesota could possibly give OP money, as well.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:58 pm

WUSTL
BU
BC
UNC
W&M
UF > U Miami

I'm not as familiar with schools in the midwest (indiana/iowa etc) but you have a good shot out there
You have a good shot at these schools esp if you apply in Oct.

SHANbangs

Postby SHANbangs » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:03 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread here, but if you guys are recommending UVA ED ---> GULC ED PT, what about me? I'm 3.24, 169. Should I apply ED to UVA first, or just do ED GULC PT and just RD UVA? My problem is timing - I most likely won't be able to get my applications out until October 15 at the earliest, so I'm looking at a possible November 15th sendout date for ED GULC PT if UVA ED rejects me.

captainculpepper

Postby captainculpepper » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:05 pm

SHANbangs wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread here, but if you guys are recommending UVA ED ---> GULC ED PT, what about me? I'm 3.24, 169. Should I apply ED to UVA first, or just do ED GULC PT and just RD UVA? My problem is timing - I most likely won't be able to get my applications out until October 15 at the earliest, so I'm looking at a possible November 15th sendout date for ED GULC PT if UVA ED rejects me.

If you've read the thread you should know you have next to zero shot at UVA ED with less than a 170. ED GULC PT is your best best.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:05 pm

captainculpepper wrote:
SHANbangs wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread here, but if you guys are recommending UVA ED ---> GULC ED PT, what about me? I'm 3.24, 169. Should I apply ED to UVA first, or just do ED GULC PT and just RD UVA? My problem is timing - I most likely won't be able to get my applications out until October 15 at the earliest, so I'm looking at a possible November 15th sendout date for ED GULC PT if UVA ED rejects me.

If you've read the thread you should know you have next to zero shot at UVA ED with less than a 170. ED GULC PT is your best best.

+1. UVA ED is a waste of time with anything less than 170 (assuming below-median GPA). The highest-ranked school you have a comfortable shot at is WUSTL, so you can either accept the $10,000/year splitter scholarship at WUSTL, ED to a lower-ranked T14 (GULC PT?), take the money and run at a strong regional school, or retake the LSAT in hope of a 1+ point gain.

nphsbuckeye

Postby nphsbuckeye » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:16 am

sundance95 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yeah it's very pessimistic for extreme splitters.

In real life, by their calculations, or both? I'll have ~3.0 with an upward trend, but have not taken the LSAT yet; so I'm hoping that it's peachy for us extremely splitters.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:40 pm

nphsbuckeye wrote:In real life, by their calculations, or both? I'll have ~3.0 with an upward trend, but have not taken the LSAT yet; so I'm hoping that it's peachy for us extremely splitters.

The problem is that different schools treat splitters in different ways. While a 3.0 is a good rough estimate for many schools, you will find many that are still unforgiving to extreme splitters (i.e. UT doesn't really accept people below a 3.4 now matter how high their LSAT) whereas some love splitters (i.e. WUSTL did not reject, though did give a lot of WL's, anybody over a 166). Looking at LSN will give you a better estimation of what to expect than LSP will in my opinion.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:37 pm

bk1 wrote:
nphsbuckeye wrote:In real life, by their calculations, or both? I'll have ~3.0 with an upward trend, but have not taken the LSAT yet; so I'm hoping that it's peachy for us extremely splitters.

The problem is that different schools treat splitters in different ways. While a 3.0 is a good rough estimate for many schools, you will find many that are still unforgiving to extreme splitters (i.e. UT doesn't really accept people below a 3.4 now matter how high their LSAT) whereas some love splitters (i.e. WUSTL did not reject, though did give a lot of WL's, anybody over a 166). Looking at LSN will give you a better estimation of what to expect than LSP will in my opinion.

Just to comment on this, because I keep reading it posted over and over on TLS, this is accurate for out of state splitters. UT can only matriculate a maximum of 35% out of state applicants, so the bar is set much, much higher for out of state folks. If you go through LSN for last cycle, every applicant with 170+ and a 3.3 or less was out of state, with the possible exception of 1. The cycle from the year before had several in-state splitters who ended up getting accepted.

Their reasoning behind this is also probably that splitters with no obvious inclination to come to texas will probably get into to lower T14(maybe) or a regional school closer to that appplicant that might even give them money. With texas residents on the other hand, they are pretty sure (rightly so) that UT is probably their first choice. The cycle previous to this one shows that most Texas resident splitters got waitlisted and eventually admitted, some with money even. I'd like to know how they fared last cycle, but there' just not any examples on LSN.

Not really relevant to the OP, but I wanted to say this mainly just to reassure myself that I have a shot.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Marionberry wrote:Just to comment on this, because I keep reading it posted over and over on TLS, this is accurate for out of state splitters. UT can only matriculate a maximum of 35% out of state applicants, so the bar is set much, much higher for out of state folks. If you go through LSN for last cycle, every applicant with 170+ and a 3.3 or less was out of state, with the possible exception of 1. The cycle from the year before had several in-state splitters who ended up getting accepted.

Their reasoning behind this is also probably that splitters with no obvious inclination to come to texas will probably get into to lower T14(maybe) or a regional school closer to that appplicant that might even give them money. With texas residents on the other hand, they are pretty sure (rightly so) that UT is probably their first choice. The cycle previous to this one shows that most Texas resident splitters got waitlisted and eventually admitted, some with money even. I'd like to know how they fared last cycle, but there' just not any examples on LSN.

Not really relevant to the OP, but I wanted to say this mainly just to reassure myself that I have a shot.

Fair enough. I think when people refer to these lines it is implied that it does have a few exceptions, URM's and in-staters being the most obvious two.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:47 pm

I know. I read over and over "UT hates splitters", which starts to play on my uncertainty and I freak out. I really just made that post more for my own selfish purposes. :(

nphsbuckeye

Postby nphsbuckeye » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. Ostensibly, I'll need to take the LSAT first before choosing specific schools.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:06 pm

Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”