law school resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
paulshortys10

law school resume

Postby paulshortys10 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:39 pm

anyone have any examples of outlines of law school resumes. I want to know what needs to be included. Such as work, volunteer, school, hobbies, ect ect.

merichard87

Re: law school resume

Postby merichard87 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:52 pm

Ken has provided us an example of a law school resume within the articles sections. Please look through the website and take advantage of the wonderful resources provided to us.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:08 pm

merichard87 wrote:Ken has provided us an example of a law school resume within the articles sections. Please look through the website and take advantage of the wonderful resources provided to us.

It's not stickied in Admissions forum. Link please? Or tell us what to search for?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:10 pm

merichard87 wrote:Ken has provided us an example of a law school resume within the articles sections. Please look through the website and take advantage of the wonderful resources provided to us.

"Ken, the Great Provider. All hail Ken."

Edit: But to add something worthwhile to this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-school-resume.html. It's in the articles, not in the forums.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:14 pm

Thank you.

acadec

Postby acadec » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:34 am

I know conventional wisdom says never to put anything from high school on your resume, but can there be exceptions for certain accomplishments? For instance, if I won a national championship in an academic competition, could I justify including that on my resume?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:53 am

Resume samples:

From Harvard JD Admissions:
http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... urces.html
(scroll to bottom)

From Penn Pre-Law Career Services:
http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/careerservice ... Resume.pdf (PDF)

About HS

Harvard's Admission Dean said 2-3 times "absolutely no high school stuff" "we don't want to read about your high school stuff" "don't put high school stuff on your resume". I achieved something pretty historical in HS, I took it off.

ivantheterbl

Postby ivantheterbl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:20 am

How important is formatting for the resume? Mine is formatted a little differently than a lot of the examples I see (I break my sections into education, work experience, and activities/have the top heading centered) No one looking at my resume has said anything, but I didn't know if all that matters is what is on the resume or does the formatting matter at all

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:52 am

ivantheterbl wrote:How important is formatting for the resume? Mine is formatted a little differently than a lot of the examples I see (I break my sections into education, work experience, and activities/have the top heading centered) No one looking at my resume has said anything, but I didn't know if all that matters is what is on the resume or does the formatting matter at all

As long as its easy to read and done in a consistent format. By virtue of my profession I am a little picky on formatting but I think as long as it's consistent, professional, clean and easy to read, you are fine. I really like the 3rd one from Harvard (formatting/fonts) by the way.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:14 am

How do you guys feel about using paragraph/sentences instead of bullets? ie. instead of:

Vice President of Nothing (faketown, ga)
*Ate crap
*Fed Dogfood to cats
*Smelled own farts

You would write:

Vice President of nothing (faketown, ga) - Ate crap that tasted great, fed dogfood to large felines at record pace, and smelled own farts in a glorious new way.

I prefer the paragraph sentence because it saves a ton of space and you can give the reader a more cohesive idea of what you did there rather than inane bullet points that don't really convey the whole idea of the job. However, some people have said law schools only want bullets. Is this true?

turkeysub

Postby turkeysub » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:16 am

yeah, I went with the paragraph form, and it worked out fine for me.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”