Is it even possible for me to go HYS with my current grades

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
$1.99

Re: Is it even possible for me to go HYS with my current grades

Postby $1.99 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:49 pm

you probably arent going to HYS so give up that dream and go play video games kid

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:20 pm

Seespot - should I start stressing when I'm a senior? That doesn't seem very pragmatic to me ... I understand the sentiment, though. I'm much more goal oriented than a lot of people though, I just am constantly thinking about how no one in my close or distant family has ever had a college degree, and how amazing it would be to graduate not only in something postgraduate, but from one of the most prestigious schools in the world? I was a screw up growing up and wasted, to my parents dismay, a lot of potential to at least do better than they did, but I was headed for worse than them, now just to contrast where I was and where I am and where I want to go and where I might be able to go, it just feels amazing. You probably didn't want to hear my life story but I almost get a high just explaining it..

@BK: I legitimately would like to take some classes not related to my degree, though do you think I'd really have to write an addendum for HYS? Dang.

@ $1.99 Well if I'm unable to go, then at least I can hope for Columbia Chicago Berkely etc :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:30 pm

M.M. wrote:
@BK: I legitimately would like to take some classes not related to my degree, though do you think I'd really have to write an addendum for HYS? Dang.

I think HYS would care about why and what you learn more than the fact that you got A's. Chances are you are not going to get back to 3.9+ to get in HYS by the strength of your numbers alone, and if you don't plan on take a few years off and doing some interesting work and gain some extras to go in your app, you are probably not going to be out the 175+/3.9+ types anyway.

Now if you are going to HYP for UG then maybe it's a slightly different story.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:18 pm

M.M. wrote:Seespot - should I start stressing when I'm a senior? That doesn't seem very pragmatic to me ... I understand the sentiment, though. I'm much more goal oriented than a lot of people though, I just am constantly thinking about how no one in my close or distant family has ever had a college degree, and how amazing it would be to graduate not only in something postgraduate, but from one of the most prestigious schools in the world? I was a screw up growing up and wasted, to my parents dismay, a lot of potential to at least do better than they did, but I was headed for worse than them, now just to contrast where I was and where I am and where I want to go and where I might be able to go, it just feels amazing. You probably didn't want to hear my life story but I almost get a high just explaining it..

Starting an "Am I Doomed?" thread two years prior to applying to law school is about as pragmatic as procrastinating away goal-related stress until it's too late. I sympathize with your "life story," as you called it, but the fact that you face an uphill battle as a college sophomore in being admitted to the best law schools in the world should not be discouraging because your situation isn't much different than any other college sophomore with similar goals. With your best potential GPA you will need to score in the 99.7% of all LSAT takers to get into one of HYS. Had you not "screwed up" your freshman year, and assuming you maintained a 4.0, you would still need to score in the 99% of all test takers to get in. To even play around with these scenarios, let alone stress about them, as a college sophomore is just a silly waste of energy.

Just do your best. Good luck.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:36 pm

seespotrun wrote:
M.M. wrote:Seespot - should I start stressing when I'm a senior? That doesn't seem very pragmatic to me ... I understand the sentiment, though. I'm much more goal oriented than a lot of people though, I just am constantly thinking about how no one in my close or distant family has ever had a college degree, and how amazing it would be to graduate not only in something postgraduate, but from one of the most prestigious schools in the world? I was a screw up growing up and wasted, to my parents dismay, a lot of potential to at least do better than they did, but I was headed for worse than them, now just to contrast where I was and where I am and where I want to go and where I might be able to go, it just feels amazing. You probably didn't want to hear my life story but I almost get a high just explaining it..

Starting an "Am I Doomed?" thread two years prior to applying to law school is about as pragmatic as procrastinating away goal-related stress until it's too late. I sympathize with your "life story," as you called it, but the fact that you face an uphill battle as a college sophomore in being admitted to the best law schools in the world should not be discouraging because your situation isn't much different than any other college sophomore with similar goals. With your best potential GPA you will need to score in the 99.7% of all LSAT takers to get into one of HYS. Had you not "screwed up" your freshman year, and assuming you maintained a 4.0, you would still need to score in the 99% of all test takers to get in. To even play around with these scenarios, let alone stress about them, as a college sophomore is just a silly waste of energy.

Just do your best. Good luck.

Point taken, I'm not really stressing ( and I realize now that's how I probably came off ) but I do think about it. Thanks

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”