Target schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BoomBoom1986

Target schools

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:04 pm

Right now I have a 3.9 GPA and a 162 LSAT. Okay softs.

I'm planning on taking the December LSAT and am practicing at 164-166. I know people say "wait for your score and then get back to me", but when I took it back in Feb. 09 I was practicing at 161-163. As a test taker, I pretty much know what I'm going to get. No surprises -- good or bad. I know I should try and take the October test, but I can't because of work so December is my last shot. I already put off going last year despite getting into some decent schools and have two years off already, so IMO it's now or never. Plus, I HATE my job. I have no desired market - just not the south. The east coast, upper midwest, Canada, and west coast are all fine by me. Good job prospects are what I'm really worried about. I also have roughly $100,000k saved up from work and an inheritance, so I don't need to have a scholly to attend somewhere -- though it would be nice, obviously.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Re: Target schools

Postby 2014 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:10 pm

Where do you want to work?
Your only shot at the t14 right NOW is to ED at UVA which would probably be a 50/50 shot. I don't know if they would process it though with a December LSAT on the way.

Given your PT range I think you can hope for an increase in your score, but can't expect much, which goes back to the original question. Since you are going to most likely be targeting more regional schools unless you can hit 167-168, figure out what areas of the country you are partial to and start there.

Obviously you should be preparing like hell for the LSAT though. With that GPA the sky is the limit if you can get the score up.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:16 pm

2014 wrote:Where do you want to work?
Your only shot at the t14 right NOW is to ED at UVA which would probably be a 50/50 shot. I don't know if they would process it though with a December LSAT on the way.

Given your PT range I think you can hope for an increase in your score, but can't expect much, which goes back to the original question. Since you are going to most likely be targeting more regional schools unless you can hit 167-168, figure out what areas of the country you are partial to and start there.

Obviously you should be preparing like hell for the LSAT though. With that GPA the sky is the limit if you can get the score up.

Like I said, anywhere but the South, seriously. I'm an east coast guy and have connections and love the west coast, too. I also love Chicago and Minneapolis. Good job prospects are what matter to me -- not necessarily where the school is.

Also, would it be better to get my apps out now with the note that I'll be taking the Dec. LSAT? Or should I wait?

Postby 2014 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:33 pm

If they know you have a December LSAT in the works, they won't review your application as far as I know. I don't know if LSAC will send in your score report either with a retake imminent, that is a better question for someone else on here.

Fortunately for you, after you get past UCLA, you are going to have a solid shot at every school below. Some of them in the top 30 will end up declining you, but without being tied to a region that wouldn't be the end of the world.

The way I'm doing it at least is choosing reach schools in the t14, but after that since I don't care where I work either, I am choosing the best safety/target school in every noteworthy market and throwing an app their way. If you can get the fee waivers or afford a few extra app fees I would encourage you to do the same.

So for example:
California: USC, Davis
Southwest: Arizona, Arizona State
Northwest: UWashington
Midwest:WUSTL, Indiana Bloomington, Iowa, Colorado
Northern Midwest: Minnesota, Wisconsin
New York: Fordham
Boston: BU, BC
Philly: Temple
DC: GW, George Mason
Florida (I don't consider Florida the south, don't know about you): UF

Obviously you won't probably want to apply to all of those, but those are probably the best schools in their given regions outside of the top 14 so it's a starting point to think about as you narrow down areas.

And again, if you are willing to pay sticker and want your best shot at T14, you should consider cancelling your December test date for now, applying ED to UVA, and if you get declined, just re-register. I think you have a solid shot based on others who have gotten in so far.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:21 am

2014 wrote:If they know you have a December LSAT in the works, they won't review your application as far as I know. I don't know if LSAC will send in your score report either with a retake imminent, that is a better question for someone else on here.

Fortunately for you, after you get past UCLA, you are going to have a solid shot at every school below. Some of them in the top 30 will end up declining you, but without being tied to a region that wouldn't be the end of the world.

The way I'm doing it at least is choosing reach schools in the t14, but after that since I don't care where I work either, I am choosing the best safety/target school in every noteworthy market and throwing an app their way. If you can get the fee waivers or afford a few extra app fees I would encourage you to do the same.

So for example:

Obviously you won't probably want to apply to all of those, but those are probably the best schools in their given regions outside of the top 14 so it's a starting point to think about as you narrow down areas.

And again, if you are willing to pay sticker and want your best shot at T14, you should consider cancelling your December test date for now, applying ED to UVA, and if you get declined, just re-register. I think you have a solid shot based on others who have gotten in so far.

I'm sorry, but D.C. and Florida are definitely the South lol. :P

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:30 am

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
2014 wrote:If they know you have a December LSAT in the works, they won't review your application as far as I know. I don't know if LSAC will send in your score report either with a retake imminent, that is a better question for someone else on here.

So for example:

I'm sorry, but D.C. and Florida are definitely the South lol. :P

I hope this comment does not lead to an argument over the Mason-Dixon line.
Culturally DC/North VA aren't the South. Florida is weird, North FL (like where UF is, is super collegetown surrounded by "the South" places like tampa, orlando, miami (=Cuba) are different but not "the South" at alll).
*I feel no problem making these comments since I call both FL and DC home and love both.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:37 am

D.C. is not the South. HTH.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:02 pm

I was being facetious guys -- though I don't have any desire to work in Florida because of the gnarly and ridiculous summers. I am a northerner at heart and I actually don't mind snow. I do, however, detest heat and humidity.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:07 pm

Come on, any more advice, people?!?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:11 pm

Well, how much higher do you think you can score on the LSAT? Do you feel like 164-166 is your limit? If so, I would just apply now.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:20 pm

2014 wrote:
So for example:

This is a good advice. 2-3 point difference would not help you much since that's what people expect to get for a retake. The list of schools 2014 provided is solid. It's hard to give any further advice without you give some preferences on location (I mean the North, Northeast, Midwest, and West Coast are huge with many large metropolitan areas).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”