(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Steppinchoi

Postby Steppinchoi » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks for the responses guys!
Last edited by Steppinchoi on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bildungsroman

Re: Warned for alcohol on campus in 2005.. Do I need an addendum

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:47 am

Yes, it sounds like you need to disclose.

It's impossible to say what effect it will have on your application, but consider this: do you really think there are that many people applying to law school who have never had something like this happen? The penalties for not disclosing would outweigh any effect disclosing might have on your application.

hncsarge34

Postby hncsarge34 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:59 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Yes, it sounds like you need to disclose.

It's impossible to say what effect it will have on your application, but consider this: do you really think there are that many people applying to law school who have never had something like this happen? The penalties for not disclosing would outweigh any effect disclosing might have on your application.

Seconded.

Also, don't forget that you'll need to get a Dean's Certification letter for Cornell if you mark yes on the disciplinary record question.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:05 pm

hncsarge34 wrote:

Seconded.

Also, don't forget that you'll need to get a Dean's Certification letter for Cornell if you mark yes on the disciplinary record question.

And a Dean's letter for NYU, Columbia, USC, Duke (other schools that I know require it if you mark yes on the question)

abarrios

Postby abarrios » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:22 pm

trudat15 wrote:
hncsarge34 wrote:

Seconded.

And a Dean's letter for NYU, Columbia, USC, Duke (other schools that I know require it if you mark yes on the question)

Are you only required to get a Dean's letter if the disciplinary action was taken on campus? Or is it for any criminal record?

I have a lot of tickets on my record that did not occur at my university(They happened during my first year of college at a community college, and a few in my senior year of high school), so will I still need to get a Dean's letter?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:24 pm

abarrios wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
hncsarge34 wrote:

Seconded.

Are you only required to get a Dean's letter if the disciplinary action was taken on campus? Or is it for any criminal record?

I have a lot of tickets on my record that did not occur at my university(They happened during my first year of college at a community college, and a few in my senior year of high school), so will I still need to get a Dean's letter?

Deans letter is for university actions. If you are answering the question regarding school discipline as a "yes" you need a Deans letter.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:35 pm

abarrios wrote:Are you only required to get a Dean's letter if the disciplinary action was taken on campus? Or is it for any criminal record?

Dean's certification is usually only required from degree granting institutions so if you did not get a degree from your CC, you don't need to get a certification from them.
Also, in my personal experience, you need a dean's certification regardless of how you answer the disciplinary action question on your app. Some schools require that @ the time of application (Stanford) and some require that after you're admitted (Columbia, Harvard,...)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”