Traffic Violation Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
p_r

Traffic Violation Addendum

Postby p_r » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:50 am

I am filling out an application that in addition to requiring a discussion of events, asks for reflections on any prior violations of the law. Would you deem the following summary of a minor traffic infraction sufficient in fulfilling my duty?

On (date), I received a ticket for failing to obey a traffic control device while driving along Interstate X in (county, state). I was speeding. The infraction did not require an appearance in court and I chose to pay the fine, resolving the matter promptly: within the allotted 30-day period. I realize that my decision to exceed the speed limit was a violation of the law and I regret to have made it.

Exact wording of the application:
Have you ever been cited for, arrested for, charged with, or convicted of any violation of any law other than a case that was resolved in juvenile court? This includes traffic violations. If yes, please provide a discussion of each incident including the resolution of the action and your reflections on each incident.

vstraight

Re: Traffic Violation Addendum

Postby vstraight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:58 am

Uh...pretty sure you should disclose but I don't think you need an addendum for it.

If you insist on writing one that should do. Concise and to the point.

p_r

Postby p_r » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:11 pm

How can I disclose it without an addendum?

haydee

Postby haydee » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:17 pm

I would omit the part about how sorry you are to have been speeding.

It comes off as a little disingenuous.

p_r

Postby p_r » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:44 pm

I hated writing it. But they still want my reflections. Plus, I'm not giving a detailed discussion of why I regret it. It could be that I'm a square guy (it is, after all, the only violation on my otherwise nonexistent record) or it could be that I regret my violation because the fine I paid was a hefty one.
I searched the forum before writing this addendum to get an idea of the scope of this sort of thing, and the most relevant thread to the topic at hand is this one:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48697

The poster who started it wrote the following addendum for his two speeding tickets:
In the fall of 2003, I was ticketed for speeding in ****, Ohio. I pled no contest to the ticket and paid the fine handed down by the court. In the spring of 2005 I was again was ticket for speeding in ****, Ohio. I again pled no contest to the ticket and paid the fine handed down by the court. Furthermore, outside of these two traffic tickets I have had no other negative interactions with the law. I realize that these tickets reflect poorly on me, but I have matured and I have learned from them.

The last sentence of this seemed disingenuous to me, and when writing mine I purposefully stayed away from any declarations of my infraction being a learning experience. Additionally, the above sample seems incomplete to me. If you say that you learned from your experience you must say what it is that you learned from it, and that seems even harder to do if sincerity is your goal.
Given the fact that my reflections on the matter are a requirement, what would you suggest I write?

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:59 pm

Of course that person had no other infractions since then, otherwise they would be disclosed. that part is redundant imo.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:03 pm

OP can you PM me the school? I'm just really curious as to what school asks for your reflections from a speeding ticket. This seems ridiculous.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:34 am

I am not sure that disclosure is even needed for minor traffic violations.

LastChanceLA

Postby LastChanceLA » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:12 am

I am a bit shocked that a school is interested in "traffic violations." What's next? Will they ask how many times a week one takes a shower and if one uses profanity on a daily basis?

OP If you wouldn't mind, can you PM the school that is asking such information. I'm hoping its not one that I'm interested in.

Thanks!

gorockies

Postby gorockies » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:50 pm

I've applied to 2 schools that required this, one of which has a separate question only related to traffic tickets!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:08 pm

It works. I mean it is a little disingenuous but no duh: you got a speeding ticket, you paid the ticket, shit happens. You could probably get away with saying whatever you wanted. One ticket isn't a big deal; 8 points and a suspended licence and they might have valid questions. Maybe just say that you are more careful to watch your speed now instead of that you now regret you decision.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:22 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:I am not sure that disclosure is even needed for minor traffic violations.

It depends on the school. For example:

Minnesota wrote:Have you ever in your entire life been charged with, or arrested for, the violation of any law including traffic laws, misdemeanors, gross misdemeanors, felonies, or the equivalent?

If yes, provide a narrative statement describing the circumstances. You must disclose this requested information even if the charges were dismissed or you were acquitted, the conviction was stayed or vacated, the record sealed or expunged, or you were told you need not disclose this information.

Indiana wrote:Have you ever been charged with or convicted of any traffic violations, including speeding tickets, or infractions (omitting parking violations)?

If you answered YES to any of the above questions, please use an electronic attachment to explain.

p_r

Postby p_r » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:01 pm

AreJay711 wrote:It works. I mean it is a little disingenuous but no duh: you got a speeding ticket, you paid the ticket, shit happens. You could probably get away with saying whatever you wanted. One ticket isn't a big deal; 8 points and a suspended licence and they might have valid questions. Maybe just say that you are more careful to watch your speed now instead of that you now regret you decision.

Good idea, thank you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”