Eligibility Question: Reapplying for the 2nd time

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Eligibility Question: Reapplying for the 2nd time

Postby NV53A » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:50 am

This year, I was offered admission at a law school. I decided that I was simply unhappy with my current law school (+ other important factors) and I'd like to reconsider a different law school for next year. I am currently 1 month into law school. My school has agreed to allow me a deferral for next year. I also don't lose anything other than time.

Would I be eligible to reapply to different law schools this cycle and gain admission for 2011?

Re: Eligibility Question: Reapplying for the 2nd time

Postby 2014 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:13 am

So you are contemplating dropping out and wondering whether you can apply to other schools without issue?

I imagine that it would be fine, but obviously you need to check with your current school. Think of all of the people who pay seat deposits only to get into a better school off the WL and to drop themselves from the class of their original choice. Or even those who show up to orientation, then get off the WL at a better school that starts later, and they bail to go there. You could also read any paperwork you signed when you matriculated...but yeah I would just ask your current school. It would be up to them to press charges if there was an issue.

Good luck explaining that to other schools though, I would be prepared to go to a worse one next year. I doubt they will look favorably upon someone who dropped out their first semester only to try again the next one at a different school. It won't reflect well on your ability to handle the stresses of law school.

Why not finish the year, do well, and transfer?

Re: Eligibility Question: Reapplying for the 2nd time

Postby im_blue » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:14 am

If you drop out now and don't have any grades for the semester, you should be eligible to reapply. However, every application I've seen asks if you've ever enrolled in law school, and they will want an explanation about your situation.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”