How to NOT get YP'ed at MVP...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fugitivejammer

How to NOT get YP'ed at MVP...

Postby fugitivejammer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:52 am

Does anyone have some good advice or knowledge about how to not get YP'ed at MVP? Are people generally YP'ed because they are competitive at CCN but not quite competitive for their own scholarship $?

I got into 2/3 of CCN (deferred admissions) and W/L at MVP last cycle, but am considering re-applying in a year or two for $ at MVP. How can I maximize my chance at competing for some of their scholarships and avoid YP? - Yes, I wrote the "Why X" essays, but maybe they are looking for applicants to say something in particular? Like: "I will attend this school if accepted and offered $ over CCN," b/c I didn't say it in those words last time...

abl

Re: How to NOT get YP'ed at MVP...

Postby abl » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:19 am

It's not all about YP--unless you're getting into 2+ HYS and not MVP, it's probably more likely that there are things about your application that certain adcoms were excited about but others weren't. The selectivity difference between CCN and MVP just isn't that big.

vstraight

Postby vstraight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:20 am

It may not be YP. There was someone I knew who got into H and Columbia but got WL'ed at Penn. He said it was because he lacked softs. But who knows.

Edit: You may of course, have 180/4.0. In that case I would say it is indeed YP.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:22 am

sincere-sounding enthusiasm in supplemental essays at M and P. this year getting into V without ED or in-state was unusually difficult, will be interesting to see what happens next cycle

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:24 am

IAFG wrote:sincere-sounding enthusiasm in supplemental essays at M and P. this year getting into V without ED or in-state was unusually difficult, will be interesting to see what happens next cycle

QFT

And it's been a while, how's NU treating you?

re-applicant

Postby re-applicant » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:17 pm

fugitivejammer wrote:Does anyone have some good advice or knowledge about how to not get YP'ed at MVP? Are people generally YP'ed because they are competitive at CCN but not quite competitive for their own scholarship $?

I got into 2/3 of CCN (deferred admissions) and W/L at MVP last cycle, but am considering re-applying in a year or two for $ at MVP. How can I maximize my chance at competing for some of their scholarships and avoid YP? - Yes, I wrote the "Why X" essays, but maybe they are looking for applicants to say something in particular? Like: "I will attend this school if accepted and offered $ over CCN," b/c I didn't say it in those words last time...

you deferred admissions and are allowed to reapply?

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:34 pm

re-applicant wrote:
fugitivejammer wrote:Does anyone have some good advice or knowledge about how to not get YP'ed at MVP? Are people generally YP'ed because they are competitive at CCN but not quite competitive for their own scholarship $?

you deferred admissions and are allowed to reapply?

Nope. I'm playing around with the idea of declining my admissions (deferred) and re-applying n the future.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”