I wonder if I should even bother...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
neighbordownthe

I wonder if I should even bother...

Postby neighbordownthe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:11 pm

I'm new to the forum...so here it goes...

I am a 31 year old prospective law school applicant and I also hold a Masters Degree in Finance. I have approximately $45K in student loan debt and another $10K in credit card debt. I always wanted to be a lawyer since I was a little kid and the timing is perfect for me--I am unemployed and in between jobs (I find odd ones from time to time).

I am scoring in the 150's on my diagnostic...and I'm scheduled to take the December 11, 2010 LSAT. But I am feeling anxious due to the economic climate and worried about putting myself in more educational debt. My recent job search has not been successful at all.

I have been entertaining the idea of applying to the state police in my state. The starting officer pay is around $55K/year + benefits, retirement and great health insurance.

I sometimes feel like I should just bag law school and head to the state police. Do I sound complete nuts or like someone who has given up all hope?

P.S. I am single and have no kids. I also have a LSAC GPA of 3.3

MrAnon

Re: I wonder if I should even bother...

Postby MrAnon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:15 pm

Try state police first. It is more of a sure thing. Plus you can make some connections that will be helpful if you ever decide to earn a law degree. People will want to hire a state policeman with a law degree, not an unemployed guy with a law degree.

neighbordownthe

Postby neighbordownthe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:19 pm

I was thinking the State Police is more a sure thing too. I am just so panicked with this recession--I mean, what if I graduate from law school and have $150K in educational debt and no job prospects? I would be so distraught. I just keep hearing about summer associate programs getting cut and firms not wanting to hire new grads that aren't ivy. Even the ivies are having a tough time finding something.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:23 pm

Law school is a bad idea. You would make more money by becoming a police officer.

neighbordownthe

Postby neighbordownthe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:26 pm

I mean, if I came out of law school I would need to land something that was at least $100K/year to recoup all my loans and bills. I'm trying to be realistic about everything and not a diluted asshole with "wishful" thinking. This is so hard. It's like a little voice deep down is telling me to really think about this. I am just so nervous about this whole thing.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:33 pm

neighbordownthe wrote:I mean, if I came out of law school I would need to land something that was at least $100K/year to recoup all my loans and bills. I'm trying to be realistic about everything and not a diluted asshole with "wishful" thinking. This is so hard. It's like a little voice deep down is telling me to really think about this. I am just so nervous about this whole thing.

People who make 100k coming out of law school graduate at top 10% of their law schools or graduate from t14 schools.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:39 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
neighbordownthe wrote:I mean, if I came out of law school I would need to land something that was at least $100K/year to recoup all my loans and bills. I'm trying to be realistic about everything and not a diluted asshole with "wishful" thinking. This is so hard. It's like a little voice deep down is telling me to really think about this. I am just so nervous about this whole thing.

People who make 100k coming out of law school graduate at top 10% of their law schools or graduate from t14 schools.

uhh no. not everyone.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:40 pm

voltage88 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

uhh no. not everyone.

The vast majority.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:48 pm

neighbordownthe wrote:I'm new to the forum...so here it goes...

I am a 31 year old prospective law school applicant and I also hold a Masters Degree in Finance. I have approximately $45K in student loan debt and another $10K in credit card debt. I always wanted to be a lawyer since I was a little kid and the timing is perfect for me--I am unemployed and in between jobs (I find odd ones from time to time).

I am scoring in the 150's on my diagnostic...and I'm scheduled to take the December 11, 2010 LSAT. But I am feeling anxious due to the economic climate and worried about putting myself in more educational debt. My recent job search has not been successful at all.

I have been entertaining the idea of applying to the state police in my state. The starting officer pay is around $55K/year + benefits, retirement and great health insurance.

I sometimes feel like I should just bag law school and head to the state police. Do I sound complete nuts or like someone who has given up all hope?

P.S. I am single and have no kids. I also have a LSAC GPA of 3.3

Unless you can get your scores up to the high 160s / low 170s, I think law school could turn out to be a very risky thing. If you think you would enjoy being a police officer, I would think that is the less financially risky move.

neighbordownthe

Postby neighbordownthe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:59 pm

My family is against the ENTIRE state police officer career. You see, I had a relative who was a state police officer and they were murdered on-the-job. It was horrible and no one has ever gotten over it. I know the risks myself, but I am single, I don't have a family and the risk does not bother me at all (because I don't have anything to come home to). I know thats sad to say but it's very true. And who's to say if I will ever get married? I feel doubtful.

As for scoring in the 160's and 170's...I am a pretty smart person and can buckle down and study.

I still think that I will give LSAT a shot and study like hell. And still keep the State Police on the backburner.

Thanks again all !

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:02 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
voltage88 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

uhh no. not everyone.

The vast majority.

Haha, I love can't believe your posts. Following you around the boards is better than TV.

Fix't
Last edited by DearCan on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:06 pm

Good Luck!

Grab the LSAT advice on here and go hard.

A lot of the top police jobs are held by people with JDs, so it's likely you'd be able to combine the two at some stage.

There are not many people who have a deep-seated desire to do Law. As one of them, I think it would be regrettable to live your life always wishing you'd given it a go.

All the best, :D

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:08 pm

Is there any other reason you want to go to law school besides "I've always wanted to be a lawyer since I was a child?" I'm not trying to be a douche by asking that. Just make sure law school is something you really want to do because, unless you get a scholarship, you'll be putting yourself in a huge pool of debt. Also, the legal field hasn't weathered the recession any better than any other field, so there are no "guaranteed" jobs.

acw061000

Postby acw061000 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:20 pm

if you are drawn to government work, why dont you try law school out, then get your degree and work in the public defender/DA's office. you'll get the same benefits, a little more pay, and you can use the federal student debt repayment program (work 10 years as public servant, get student loans forgiven). and your odds of getting punched in the face on a regular basis are slightly lower.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”