LSAC Law School Forum: Los Angeles, 9/25

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Gaucho
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:37 am

LSAC Law School Forum: Los Angeles, 9/25

Postby Gaucho » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:04 pm

Went to it and was overall disappointed. I was hoping to learn a thing or two from some of the LSAC presentations, but TLS has much better information & advice on these boards, so cheers to you all.

Yale cancelled. I dont remember seeing Stanford. USC, UCLA & Loyola understandingly had long lines of people at their tables--along with NYU, Columbia, Michigan & Georgetown. Several of the T14 had pretty low traffic (at least while I was there) including Duke, Virginia, and Chicago. All in all, just picked up viewbooks from schools I was interested in.


Curious as to your thoughts on the forum?

(it wasn't a complete fail...i scored two fee waivers)

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: LSAC Law School Forum: Los Angeles, 9/25

Postby crossingforHYS » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Gaucho wrote:Went to it and was overall disappointed. I was hoping to learn a thing or two from some of the LSAC presentations, but TLS has much better information & advice on these boards, so cheers to you all.

Yale cancelled. I dont remember seeing Stanford. USC, UCLA & Loyola understandingly had long lines of people at their tables--along with NYU, Columbia, Michigan & Georgetown. Several of the T14 had pretty low traffic (at least while I was there) including Duke, Virginia, and Chicago. All in all, just picked up viewbooks from schools I was interested in.


Curious as to your thoughts on the forum?

(it wasn't a complete fail...i scored two fee waivers)

which 2?

User avatar
Gaucho
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:37 am

Re: LSAC Law School Forum: Los Angeles, 9/25

Postby Gaucho » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Boston College & Virginia

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: LSAC Law School Forum: Los Angeles, 9/25

Postby hijodehombre » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:20 pm

I didn't go. I figured it was going to be just like you described it: long on glossy brochures, short on substance.

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: LSAC Law School Forum: Los Angeles, 9/25

Postby crossingforHYS » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:22 pm

Gaucho wrote:Boston College & Virginia

darn it ...I have been soliciting BC for a waiver.....oh BC I couldnt make it out since I'm in DC for the semester.....
darn them.

User avatar
moxiepostulate
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: LSAC Law School Forum: Los Angeles, 9/25

Postby moxiepostulate » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:16 pm

I made it for the last hour.

Not too shabby. Some really long lines and annoying people asking annoying questions they could've found on the website in 1 minute. But that's exactly what I signed up for, so no complaints really.

I had some really decent conversations with the reps from U Penn, Michigan, Northwestern, Columbia, and Stanford. Nikonye Iwerebon was there from Columbia, which I thought was pretty cool, although she seemed really Done with the whole thing by the time I got a chance to ask her my Q's. As expected, the t14 were packed until the final minutes.

I definitely got the feel between the larger schools and the smaller schools in terms of what the admissions reps could speak to. The larger the student body the less the rep seemed to be connected to the various departments, knowledge of regional hiring markets, summer clerkships, etc. It makes total sense, but personally I appreciate a system small enough to be a bit more integrative.

The admissions reps from Northwestern and UPenn really impressed me with not only how much depth they were able to answer any questions, but also just seeming on the level. Part of that was probably that I hit those tables during rare lulls, so I was able to have real conversations without feeling like a twat for taking up too much time. NW talked about the influence of the University's Dean and the recent announcement that Van Zandt will be leaving to become the director of new school. Honestly, I hadn't considered how much a particular dean might influence a period of years within a school, but based on my conversation with the NW rep it's something that I'm going to be more aware of once the decisions come in.

All in all, I feel like I learned something from the experience. I signed my number on a few lists which probably puts me in a better position to request a waver in a few weeks and I got a few cards. I'm going to follow up the most in-depth conversations with an email.

Final words:

1. Students who came with parents to hold their place in the lines = most lame thing I have EVER witnessed.

2. Walking out and seeing a kid in a full business suit meet up with his local LA buddy and leave on a skateboard = classic pre-law moment.

ejeric
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: LSAC Law School Forum: Los Angeles, 9/25

Postby ejeric » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Agreed. Most school reps were pretty helpful, although some seemed like they just wanted to go take a nap... (understandably; it was a long day right? :))

Anyway, does anyone have the names of the UCLA and USC reps? They gave some very nice minority applicant advice for me and my buddy, and I wanted to follow up (for general advice.. both schools are a looong shot lol) but didn't catch either of their names in the frenzy. Help is much appreciated -- thanks.

User avatar
Gaucho
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:37 am

Re: LSAC Law School Forum: Los Angeles, 9/25

Postby Gaucho » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:06 pm

moxiepostulate wrote:
Final words:

1. Students who came with parents to hold their place in the lines = most lame thing I have EVER witnessed.

2. Walking out and seeing a kid in a full business suit meet up with his local LA buddy and leave on a skateboard = classic pre-law moment.


+1

i believe the scientific term for this disease is "helicopter parents." Bringing parentals to this is already pushing the line...there is no acceptable situation in which your parents should be dominating the discussion between you and the admission representative. You have no business applying to law school if you lack the guts or knowhow to muster up a 2 minute chat with the rep. And no, "Does your school offer a study abroad program?" is not conversing.
Last edited by Gaucho on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ubermaus
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:09 pm

Re: LSAC Law School Forum: Los Angeles, 9/25

Postby Ubermaus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:30 pm

ejeric wrote:Anyway, does anyone have the names of the UCLA and USC reps?


I think the UCLA guy was Robert Schwartz, but he was out of business cards by the time I got there. The wait for USC was 20+ minutes, so I passed.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7957
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: LSAC Law School Forum: Los Angeles, 9/25

Postby Pleasye » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:28 am

ejeric wrote:Agreed. Most school reps were pretty helpful, although some seemed like they just wanted to go take a nap... (understandably; it was a long day right? :))

Anyway, does anyone have the names of the UCLA and USC reps? They gave some very nice minority applicant advice for me and my buddy, and I wanted to follow up (for general advice.. both schools are a looong shot lol) but didn't catch either of their names in the frenzy. Help is much appreciated -- thanks.


Care to share the advice? Please and thank you :)




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw and 5 guests