AP question for GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dtubin

AP question for GPA

Postby dtubin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:04 pm

I know that your GPA is not calculated into the LSDAS gpa, but how does it work if you didn't pass an AP exam? This was not a course of dual enrollment. It was AP Cal AB during my senior year of high school.

More specifically, I receieved a 1 on the exam. I'm very worried because my UGPA is at a 3.87. Any insight would be great. Thank you.

Dino

lmi

Re: AP question for GPA

Postby lmi » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:09 pm

it won't factor into your gpa. you probably didn't even get college credit for it, so it won't show up on your ug transcript. regardless, AP classes (not taken through a university) don't end up factoring into your LSAC gpa because the grades aren't transferred to your ug gpa.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:10 pm

AP scores don't have any impact on your LSDAS GPA.

dtubin

Postby dtubin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks guys. I got worried for a bit because I'm shooting for a 4.0.

All the best,

dtubin

Postby dtubin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:23 pm

actually, do you guys know where it would be located on LSAC.org? Is there something that explains it in more detail? I cannot seem to find it. Thanks again.

Also, I'm sorry for the noob questions, but what is the difference between LSAC and LSDAS GPA? Or are those completely the same thing?

Postby 2014 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:54 pm

LSAC and LSDAS are the same thing. LSDAS = Law school data assembly service which is a service that LSAC provides for a modest fee.

As for AP scores, they only count if your school gives you a grade for them. Some schools give "B" credit for 3's or 4's which could hurt some individuals, but with a 1 there isn't a school in the country that will put a grade on your transcript for that.

dtubin

Postby dtubin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:03 pm

So because I didn't recieve credit for my "1" score, there is no grade attached to it because my current UG would not honor it? Ok, I think I get it.

Would I have to register on LSAC.org to find the faq's regarding AP exams? I haven't registered yet, I'm applying for the next cycle but it seems as if I can't find the AP faq.

Postby 2014 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:09 pm

I don't even know of an FAQ but it isn't going to affect you. I had a 2 and a 3 on a couple of AP tests that didn't effect my LSDAS at all while a 4 and a 5 ended up giving me A's which helped. They only care about grades on your transcript for better or worse. They will count every single thing on your transcript that has an A - F next to it and nothing else. No reason to register until the cycle you are applying though, it would be a waste of cash.

dtubin

Postby dtubin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:23 pm

Thank you sir.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:29 pm

dtubin wrote:So because I didn't recieve credit for my "1" score, there is no grade attached to it because my current UG would not honor it? Ok, I think I get it.

Would I have to register on LSAC.org to find the faq's regarding AP exams? I haven't registered yet, I'm applying for the next cycle but it seems as if I can't find the AP faq.

Here is LSAC's FAQ on converting grades into a GPA, but it doesn't mention AP scores because they don't count.

http://www.lsac.org/policies/transcript ... zation.asp

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:35 pm

All of my AP exams translated into credit that didn't affect my GPA in either direction on my LSDAS report. I just ended up having a huge # of untranslated credits for my freshman year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”