What goes into the LSAC GPA??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Iswhat?

What goes into the LSAC GPA??

Postby Iswhat? » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:29 am

Let me first preface this question with a little background information.

I'm a junior at a major university, and...

I blew my first year of college. Really bad. At a community college. :cry:

That being said..most of these courses were in a different, non-applicable major (read: Math Based) then I'm currently enrolled in, and didn't eventually count toward my AA or transfer.

Am I correct in stating that these credits will be included in my LSAC GPA even though they won't count for either my AA or BA?

To thicken the plot somewhat, I quit on school my third semester. Well, I didn't didn't actually quit, but I stopped taking courses relevant toward getting a BA, and instead took vocational courses and pursued employment.

Obviously the vocational courses wouldn't count toward the LSAC GPA, but a couple of them (computer courses) did end up counting towards my AA, but were NOT accepted at the university I attend.

Do you guys know if these courses would or would not be counted toward my LSAC GPA?

gracias

Mike12188

Re: What goes into the LSAC GPA??

Postby Mike12188 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:52 am

Everything is in your LSAC gpa, even down to any courses you took in high school for college credit. If you retook any classes, both grades will be in there

ohlawl

Postby ohlawl » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:59 am

LSAC got my transcripts two weeks ago and calculated my GPA as .2 lower than my university has it. This is coming from the low grades on courses I subsequently replaced with As. I haven't looked close enough but they may have also counted non-transferable courses from my junior college. So it goes!

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:08 am

LSAC is so unforgiving :(

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:10 am

whymeohgodno wrote:LSAC is so unforgiving :(

LSAC = Satan. Welcome to hell everyone.

Iswhat?

Postby Iswhat? » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:20 am

So all my courses count. That's not so good for me.

That is brutal. I did the math and I could get a 3.7 for the rest of my college career and still not break 3.3 LSAT. :(

Non-Pejorative Withdraws are not figured, correct?

Postby 2014 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:24 am

If the withdraw doesn't reflect an F on your transcript it won't be counted as one. I'm not positive your vocational classes won't count by the way. If you got a grade for them, and if they went into your CC degree, they very well might count.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:29 am

Iswhat? wrote:So all my courses count. That's not so good for me.

That is brutal. I did the math and I could get a 3.7 for the rest of my college career and still not break 3.3 LSAT. :(

Technically, they shouldn't be. However LSAC has a nasty habit of being unpredictable - people have reported having non-punitive withdraws being included in the calculation.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:36 am

kazu wrote:

Technically, they shouldn't be. However LSAC has a nasty habit of being unpredictable - people have reported having non-punitive withdraws being included in the calculation.

I'm hoping this isn't a common occurrence. I have like 2-3 non fail W's in my transcript.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:23 pm

They shouldn't, but you can look up the LSAC conversion guide for your specific UG to be sure:

http://www.lsac.org/Members/TranscriptK ... earch.aspx

ohlawl

Postby ohlawl » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:55 pm

im_blue wrote:

They shouldn't, but you can look up the LSAC conversion guide for your specific UG to be sure:

http://www.lsac.org/Members/TranscriptK ... earch.aspx

Thanks for this link, looks like Ws aren't counted. Interesting to see how at my school an A- is 3.7gps, while with the LSAC an A- is 3.67gps.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”