LSAT Addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bazinga

New

LSAT Addendum

Post by bazinga » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:46 pm

I took December 2009 LSAT and scored a 14*, however, the night before I was relaxing at a friends house and their roommate got into a heated argument with his girlfriend. Anyways, to not go into details my friend's roommate shot himself in front of us. The day of the LSAT (next morning) I drove to my testing site from the police station and well couldnt concentrate at all. Is this an acceptable reason, to the adcomms, that that score should not be considered? Im afraid that it will come across as just an excuse. I know I should have not showed up or just cancelled, but I didnt. I dont know why really.

* I registered under a new username to keep anonymous

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Re: LSAT Addendum

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:57 pm

bazinga wrote:I took December 2009 LSAT and scored a 14*, however, the night before I was relaxing at a friends house and their roommate got into a heated argument with his girlfriend. Anyways, to not go into details my friend's roommate shot himself in front of us. The day of the LSAT (next morning) I drove to my testing site from the police station and well couldnt concentrate at all. Is this an acceptable reason, to the adcomms, that that score should not be considered? Im afraid that it will come across as just an excuse. I know I should have not showed up or just cancelled, but I didnt. I dont know why really.

Sure, mention it in an addendum. The problem is you should not have taken the exam. I'd extend your argument to "after the traumatic episode I exhibited poor judgment for some time, including the decision to a) write the exam b) not cancel my score."

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:08 pm

Why didn't you cancel your score and walk out...

bazinga

New

Post by bazinga » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:21 pm

I had never scored below a 160 when doing PTs, so I guess I convinced myself it couldnt be that bad. To be honest I really dont know. Sorry

Kiwi917

Bronze

Post by Kiwi917 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:47 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:
bazinga wrote:I took December 2009 LSAT and scored a 14*, however, the night before I was relaxing at a friends house and their roommate got into a heated argument with his girlfriend. Anyways, to not go into details my friend's roommate shot himself in front of us. The day of the LSAT (next morning) I drove to my testing site from the police station and well couldnt concentrate at all. Is this an acceptable reason, to the adcomms, that that score should not be considered? Im afraid that it will come across as just an excuse. I know I should have not showed up or just cancelled, but I didnt. I dont know why really.

Sure, mention it in an addendum. The problem is you should not have taken the exam. I'd extend your argument to "after the traumatic episode I exhibited poor judgment for some time, including the decision to a) write the exam b) not cancel my score."

I agree with this. The key part is explaining why you took the test and didn't cancel your score. I think post-traumatic stress is a legitimate reason. You don't say whether you re-took the exam or not. If you have not, you should, because the only way to truly convince schools that this instance was an anomaly is to take the test again. They won't care about your 160s on PTs - plenty of people score well on PTs and then bomb the test due to anxiety. If you still score in the 140s or low 150s, schools might not be as convinced as if you show you can score 160+ under normal testing circumstances on a real LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:11 pm

Retake and when you get a higher score, you explain what happened. Your reason wouldnt make you look "stupid" since your second LSAT will presumably be higher. If you scored a 14* (you shouldve told us your actual score since anything in the 140's is poor), I cant imagine that youd be applying to any worthwhile schools.

Retake, retake. Dont apply with this score and dont resign yourself to this score.

Good luck!

bazinga

New

Post by bazinga » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:24 pm

I am taking it again in October. I scored a 146. Gdane5, are you saying that because of this low score I cant apply to any worthwhile schools? Or, are you saying that I cant apply to any worthwhile schools unless I retake and score considerably higher? Just wondering.

Thank you guys for all the advice. :)

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:59 pm

bazinga wrote:I am taking it again in October. I scored a 146. Gdane5, are you saying that because of this low score I cant apply to any worthwhile schools? Or, are you saying that I cant apply to any worthwhile schools unless I retake and score considerably higher? Just wondering.

Thank you guys for all the advice. :)
I think he is saying the latter - you'll be fine as long as you write that addendum and score significantly higher in Oct. Most schools take the highest, esp if you have a worthwhile reason you scored so low the first time

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:57 am

you can apply to any school you want. however, its not in your best interest to do so since almost no quality school will accept you with a 146. retake and then apply to schools with your much better score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:44 am

I'm sorry everyone, but this is a complete flame.

bazinga

New

Post by bazinga » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:15 am

St.Remy wrote:I'm sorry everyone, but this is a complete flame.

Actually its not. Why would anyone lie about something like this? You are a sick douche bag. go F off

MiamiUG

New

Post by MiamiUG » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:37 am

bazinga wrote:
St.Remy wrote:I'm sorry everyone, but this is a complete flame.

Actually its not. Why would anyone lie about something like this? You are a sick douche bag. go F off
Says the flame

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”