Cornell EA vs apply early? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xqhp82

Bronze

Cornell EA vs apply early?

Post by xqhp82 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:48 am

I'm wondering whether Cornell considers everyone who applies before Nov1 as EA applicants even though it's an option? I'm asking this because I haven't taken the LSAT, but I definitely want Cornell so I'm considering to submit my app before November to increase my chance. But I'm not sure if I want EA coz I heard some horror stories about EA people with relatively low numbers got deferred and put at the bottom of the pile. Should I just wait until Nov 1 to decide whether I want EA or RD? Normaly what numbers do EA applicants have?

vegenator

Bronze

Re: Cornell EA vs apply early?

Post by vegenator » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:03 am

Here's some useful info from Cornell's site: http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... _JUMP_3322
What is the Early Action process?

The Early Action process is a non-binding, early notification process. In order to apply through the Early Action process, you must:

Submit the application form and fee by November 1.
Make sure that your file is complete by November 15.
We will mail out our decisions by mid to late December.
Do I receive more favorable consideration if I apply through Early Action?

We apply the same admission standards during early action and regular decision processes. However, the Early Action applicants are the first applications reviewed, which means more seats are available at that time.

Can I apply for Early Action if I'm taking the October LSAT?

Yes. Your file does not need to be complete with test scores until November 15.

What if I apply through Early Action, but then am unhappy with my September LSAT score or fail to complete my file by November 15?

If your file is still incomplete by much after November 15, your application will be deferred to the regular rolling admissions process. If you would like to withdraw your application from Early Action (for example, in order to retake the LSAT in December), simply send us a request in writing as soon as possible.

What decisions will I receive through Early Action?

Applicants will be Admitted, Denied, or Held.

When do I have to commit if I get admitted through Early Action?

As with all admitted applicants, the first deposit deadline is Mid April.

Based on this info, I'd tell you to apply EA just so that you will have an answer sooner and you can stop freaking out a little earlier :D (that's what I'm doing). I don't think you'll be at any disadvantage, even if your numbers are slightly lower. If you are waitlisted as an Early Ap, I think you most definitely would have been waitlisted later on in the cycle when they are more selective.
Hope this helps!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:44 pm

If last cycle is any indication, a lot of EA applicants will be deferred in December and not hear anything until February or March, which IMO kind of defeats the point of EA.

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:47 am

im_blue wrote:If last cycle is any indication, a lot of EA applicants will be deferred in December and not hear anything until February or March, which IMO kind of defeats the point of EA.
yea, that's what i worry the most...so i wonder what numbers do EA people normally hold. if they're significantly higher than mine then i'll probably be deferred.

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:03 am

I applied to Cornell EA last year with 168/3.9 and I was accepted (not deferred into the regular admission).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”