targeted LoR...help me naming the letter!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
coffeetable

targeted LoR...help me naming the letter!

Postby coffeetable » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:41 am

Hi guys

I need some thoughts on my LoR form. So when you designate your writer on the LSAC website, you are supposed to write whether it's targeted letter or not, right?

e.g.
you can do either "For Harvard Law School"
or "For All Schools"

So I am applying to Upenn, potentially aiming for Toll Public Interest Scholarship. Even though there is no specific application for that scholarship (every applicant is automatically considered), I am going to mention that in my personal statement.

So even though it's not required to submit a LoR for that specific scholarship, do you think it's a good idea to send a scholarship-targeted LoR by having the title of the LoR as "For University of Pennsylvania, Toll Public Interest Scholarship". Or does it look too specific? Should I just go for "For University of Pennsylvania Law School"?

Any thought are appreciated!

St.Remy

Re: targeted LoR...help me naming the letter!

Postby St.Remy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:53 am

coffeetable wrote:So even though it's not required to submit a LoR for that specific scholarship, do you think it's a good idea to send a scholarship-targeted LoR by having the title of the LoR as "For University of Pennsylvania, Toll Public Interest Scholarship". Or does it look too specific? Should I just go for "For University of Pennsylvania Law School"?

Any thought are appreciated!

If you named your LOR "Toll Public Interest Scholarship it would probably highlight the fact that you are interested in it but probably wouldn't help your chances at getting it: They would still be considering the same information when choosing who to give a scholarship to, something as minor as your LOR name will not tip the scale for who they give a pile of money to. I also think that it may hurt you from an admissions standpoint, since Adcomms might read your letter title and think that you will only attend in the event that you get the scholarship. To protect their yield they may interpret this fact as not in your favor. I would personally just give the letter a standard name.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:28 am

Here's what I think you should do. Have your writer say something along the lines of "I understand upenn has a substantial scholarship offered to students commited to public service, not only do i think student x should be admitted but also that his commitment to public service has been demonstarted by X Y and Z, he should be placed under strong consideration for this honor" (typing fast scuse the typos)

However do not title the LOR that

coffeetable

Postby coffeetable » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:29 am

Saltqjibo wrote:Here's what I think you should do. Have your writer say something along the lines of "I understand upenn has a substantial scholarship offered to students commited to public service, not only do i think student x should be admitted but also that his commitment to public service has been demonstarted by X Y and Z, he should be placed under strong consideration for this honor" (typing fast scuse the typos)

However do not title the LOR that

Thank you guys!

I really really appreciate it! yup I am just gonna go for general title and ask my writers to do that. Thanks a lot!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”