Smart to register for the Dec LSAT ? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdhopeful11

Bronze

Smart to register for the Dec LSAT ?

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:31 am

So I'm taking the LSAT in October for the 2nd time, and after I get my score, I plan on hitting the submit button on pretty much all of my applications.

Regardless of what I score, I plan on taking the test a 3rd time in December because I know I'll score better and could use that better score to either negotiate scholarship money and/or get off waitlists.

The problem is - I don't want to wait until I reach a decision from all of my schools before I register for the Dec test because I'm almost positive that I'll end up having to travel a long distance the morning of the test. I would prefer it if schools judged me on my 2nd score, for now, and then take into consideration the 3rd score when they get it. Is registering for the Dec test now without my schools putting my app on hold possible? Or will I have to wait for decisions before I register. Can I register after my apps go "complete" without adcomms putting my app on hold? I basically want to register for the Dec test asap without it getting in the way of the apps that I will be sending out next month

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Smart to register for the Dec LSAT ?

Post by kalvano » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:32 am

So your plan is to suck in October?

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:40 am

It depends on which score you want the schools to consider. If you don't want them to consider the Oct. at all then go ahead and register for Dec. whenever you want, however this is really going to hurt you for this cycle because essentially you wont be applying until you get your Dec. score in late Dec. or January. If you want the schools to consider the Oct. but you want to take the Dec. just to see what you can get on the last try, or to try to entice some of the schools to accept you off of the WL or to get an original acceptance, I would wait and register for the Dec. as late as possible.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:42 am

kalvano wrote:So your plan is to suck in October?

Nah, probably get a full ride to SMU with my score though

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:45 am

naterj wrote:It depends on which score you want the schools to consider. If you don't want them to consider the Oct. at all then go ahead and register for Dec. whenever you want, however this is really going to hurt you for this cycle because essentially you wont be applying until you get your Dec. score in late Dec. or January. If you want the schools to consider the Oct. but you want to take the Dec. just to see what you can get on the last try, or to try to entice some of the schools to accept you off of the WL or to get an original acceptance, I would wait and register for the Dec. as late as possible.
Late as possible meaning the earliest date after I've heard back from schools? Meh, I could always take it in Feb worst case scenario too I suppose, but the earlier the better

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:46 am

jdhopeful11 wrote:

That's not that difficult to do. But they'd probably sense what a dick you are and not accept you.

Why are you planning on taking it again in December? Or more precisely, if you don't think you will do well on the October test, why take it?

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:48 am

jdhopeful11 wrote:
naterj wrote:It depends on which score you want the schools to consider. If you don't want them to consider the Oct. at all then go ahead and register for Dec. whenever you want, however this is really going to hurt you for this cycle because essentially you wont be applying until you get your Dec. score in late Dec. or January. If you want the schools to consider the Oct. but you want to take the Dec. just to see what you can get on the last try, or to try to entice some of the schools to accept you off of the WL or to get an original acceptance, I would wait and register for the Dec. as late as possible.
Late as possible meaning the earliest date after I've heard back from schools? Meh, I could always take it in Feb worst case scenario too I suppose, but the earlier the better
Late as possible meaning the last day you can register for the Dec. LSAT.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:50 am

jdhopeful11 wrote:

haha don't kid yourself, everyone saw your GPA thread.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:51 am

naterj wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:

haha don't kid yourself, everyone saw your GPA thread.

LOL :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Destined

New

Post by Destined » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:07 am

I plan on applying like the OP after I receive my Oct. LSAT scores, but im already registered for the December LSAT as well. I only registered for the December test bc 1) its 75 miles closer than the nearest other location and 2) kind of like a psychological booster/lessens pressure on the Oct LSAT. I plan on dominating the Oct. test but now im wondering if i should cancel my Dec. LSAT.

How do law schools even know if you're registered for the December LSAT if you dont put it on your app?

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:10 am

Destined wrote:I plan on applying like the OP after I receive my Oct. LSAT scores, but im already registered for the December LSAT as well. I only registered for the December test bc 1) its 75 miles closer than the nearest other location and 2) kind of like a psychological booster/lessens pressure on the Oct LSAT. I plan on dominating the Oct. test but now im wondering if i should cancel my Dec. LSAT.

How do law schools even know if you're registered for the December LSAT if you dont put it on your app?
It's my understanding that LSAC somehow notifies schools if you are registered for an upcoming LSAT and that you will not go "complete" if you are registered for a future test.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:12 am

Destined wrote:I plan on applying like the OP after I receive my Oct. LSAT scores, but im already registered for the December LSAT as well. I only registered for the December test bc 1) its 75 miles closer than the nearest other location and 2) kind of like a psychological booster/lessens pressure on the Oct LSAT. I plan on dominating the Oct. test but now im wondering if i should cancel my Dec. LSAT.

They know. Your app won't go complete until your Dec score is transmitted to them. Follow my lead and register after you hear back from your schools after Oct. And for the schools that don't do rolling admission, don't even bother applying until you get your Dec score.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”